Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Kadadj

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Kadadj »

jumjummju wrote:I like how, according to this, in 9 weeks I'll be able to run for half-an hour straight, yet even after an entire track season (minus 3 days for ingrown toenails) I still have a hard time joggin' for more than 5 minutes. Even though I wasn't in any shape to begin with.

Also, I got last place every time I run. I suck at running. >_>

I suppose it's a good thing that my mentality is "I suck at it, therefor I should try harder so I don't suck at it." I'm a stubborn mule. :P

(Note to self: Stop drinking soda.)
Sorry for asking, but are you fat? How's your diet?
Anyways, going for my first run in the morning, wish me luck! Also, how do you guys keep track of the time intervals? I don't want to use the songs provided by the OP as I have my own music I want to listen to.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Sigh. The weather's still far too unbearably hot to run in and there's no room in this little apartment to do so effectively. The temperature dropped to a reasonable level today but it insists on sticking around ninety most days. I can't take that level of heat alone, much less combined with the heat working out would generate. I've blacked out from less. Still looking to a treadmill as an option to subvert the weather's lack of cooperation but I need cash first for that. In the meantime, my lousy health is an increasing burden.

@Kadadj: Try using an alarm app or something if you've got an iphone or non-Apple equivalent.
Last edited by Xanatos on Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Kadadj wrote:Sorry for asking, but are you fat? How's your diet?
Anyways, going for my first run in the morning, wish me luck! Also, how do you guys keep track of the time intervals? I don't want to use the songs provided by the OP as I have my own music I want to listen to.
f you have a watch, use a chronometer.
jumjummju

Post by jumjummju »

Kadadj wrote:
jumjummju wrote:I like how, according to this, in 9 weeks I'll be able to run for half-an hour straight, yet even after an entire track season (minus 3 days for ingrown toenails) I still have a hard time joggin' for more than 5 minutes. Even though I wasn't in any shape to begin with.

Also, I got last place every time I run. I suck at running. >_>

I suppose it's a good thing that my mentality is "I suck at it, therefor I should try harder so I don't suck at it." I'm a stubborn mule. :P

(Note to self: Stop drinking soda.)
Sorry for asking, but are you fat? How's your diet?
Haha, I don't mind. No, I'm not fat. I just haven't run at all over the summer, so my stamina's kinda meh at the moment. (And I couldn't do it during the track season because mega-fatigue) Also, both my parent's smoke indoors, so my lung capacity is crap. This also has an unintended side-effect of making me wheeze a little if I run too hard, but that I still breathe fine. Just loudly.

I'm 6' even, weigh 150 pounds, and am about 50/50 fat/muscle. I'm actually deceptively muscular, since I don't look it at all. Not body-builder level, but I can bench at least 100 pounds. I'm pretty sure if I pushed myself now, I could run a good 5-6 minutes of jogging. I need to get myself in shape for the wrestling season, too, so I plan on hitting the weight room and cuttin' back on the soda's, which is the only unhealthy thing I eat. I don't eat much. (My metabolism is crap and my stomach is small)

Curse my laziness. Once the weight room opens up at my school, I'mma hit that treadmill so hard it won't know what hit it.
Kadadj

Post by Kadadj »

Haha, I don't mind. No, I'm not fat. I just haven't run at all over the summer, so my stamina's kinda meh at the moment. (And I couldn't do it during the track season because mega-fatigue) Also, both my parent's smoke indoors, so my lung capacity is crap. This also has an unintended side-effect of making me wheeze a little if I run too hard, but that I still breathe fine. Just loudly.

I'm 6' even, weigh 150 pounds, and am about 50/50 fat/muscle. I'm actually deceptively muscular, since I don't look it at all. Not body-builder level, but I can bench at least 100 pounds. I'm pretty sure if I pushed myself now, I could run a good 5-6 minutes of jogging. I need to get myself in shape for the wrestling season, too, so I plan on hitting the weight room and cuttin' back on the soda's, which is the only unhealthy thing I eat. I don't eat much. (My metabolism is crap and my stomach is small)

Curse my laziness. Once the weight room opens up at my school, I'mma hit that treadmill so hard it won't know what hit it.
Well fuck, I'm 6.1 and 144 pounds and about 30/70 fat/muscle, and that's being optimistic. It's going to be exiting seeing how my stamina evolves. Luckily I look deceptively muscular too, probably because of me inheriting my dads broad shoulders. But I want real muscles, and this is the first step :D
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Kadadj wrote:
Well fuck, I'm 6.1 and 144 pounds

B-...brother?
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Kadadj

Post by Kadadj »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Kadadj wrote:

B-...brother?
Are you something similar? You're not Scandinavian too are you?
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Kadadj wrote:
Pseudogenesis wrote:
Kadadj wrote:

B-...brother?
Are you something similar? You're not Scandinavian too are you?

I'm so much of a European mutt that it's entirely possible.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Kadadj

Post by Kadadj »

Ok, first jog done. Or I can't really call it a jog, more like walking, with a bit of jogging put in there. I tried following the 1 min jog with the 1.5 min walk, no chance. I did though, walk for about 25 minutes, so it's not all bad. But holy shit, my stamina is bad.
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Enemy | wrote:Going with the workouts the gym folk made for me. Not exactly exclusive to me or anything, but I trust their judgement that these exercises are good.
I'd suggest checking over the workouts they give you. I went to the gym a while back, and they were suggesting quite a few rookie mistakes which I found after checking on the internet, not least of which was to do a load of endurance training, and then my strength training afterwards (check on the net, they should be the other way around - endurance training first will drain you of energy and make the strength training 10x harder).

I'm personally on a bit of a hiatus from exercise. Needing to build up my health, food intake and money a little more before I'll be able to get back into EC25K. Debating actually making myself a schedule for keeping up with 100PU and maybe making(finding) a dips/situps chart too.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

I asked how to strench in two page ago and do it makes me more flexible. Now I can touch my toes while standing straight... with my finger's base. Well. About running, I think jogging 3-minute long is pretty much my limit. So I doubt if I can do Week 4 which I suppose to do it tomorrow. Actually I should have done it today but I forgot my watch. So I compensated by trying and success in attempt to (push myself to) run 800m without stopping. It feels awesome to realized you are actually stronger. I can't wait to see the face of my classmate when I beat them all (or most of them) in running.
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Althamus wrote:
Enemy | wrote:Going with the workouts the gym folk made for me. Not exactly exclusive to me or anything, but I trust their judgement that these exercises are good.
I'd suggest checking over the workouts they give you. I went to the gym a while back, and they were suggesting quite a few rookie mistakes which I found after checking on the internet, not least of which was to do a load of endurance training, and then my strength training afterwards (check on the net, they should be the other way around - endurance training first will drain you of energy and make the strength training 10x harder).
Well they actually just give me the exercises I need to do and I can do them in whatever order feels more comfortable.
I do run before the exercises though. Should I do it afterwards?
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Enemy | wrote:I do run before the exercises though. Should I do it afterwards?
Try doing it the other way around for a week or so and see if you notice any difference. I found that when I did endurance first, I depleted all the energy in my blood, and while I was fine slowly breaking down fat into energy or whatever your body does for jogging, for something like weights which need quick bursts of energy, I wasn't breaking it down fast enough.

When I did weights first, with blood sugar levels still pretty high, I was able to lift considerably more, and didn't notice any difference being a little depleted for endurance because the body can get more energy fast enough for jogging and such.

At least, that's how I figured it.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
RecoiL

Post by RecoiL »

Well, been running pretty much all summer now... I've been more or less following the guide, yet never posted in this thread, nor even followed it at all. I guess I should also make my mark here, if nothing else to provide some feedback on the plausability of this guide.

A few hours ago, Monday afternoon, I started my final week of the 30 minute program. All summer I've been running with cheap chinese running shoes, no music, no running partner, on an abandoned dirt track for bikes and the like, after 8pm to avoid the scorching heat that's been hitting south Europe this summer. I missed two weeks, one because of a vicious virus attack, and one because of traveling and hiking. I should point out I had never ran before this, and although I wasn't in a terrible condition, I had next to zero endurance.

After I started week one, I gave is my all yet it hardly seemed enough. I quickly picked up momentum and decided to add some additional minutes to each run to make it easier for me in the longer runs to come, I soon was a week ahead of schedule. After I got the virus around midsummer, it really drained me and I was set back even more than that week of extra progress I had, then up untill now I've slowly regained it, and and at this point I'm working towards making a given number of laps in the 30 minutes I already easily run.
Kind of sucks that the track is partially overgrown with bushes and tall grass, so I don't really know what's the total length of a lap, but at this point I seem to be running faster and longer than most people I see on the track, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Also noteworthy is that prior to my virus experiance I didn't use the lift (I live on the 15th floor), that also meant 15 flights of stairs after every run. That didn't go well and my knees and calves started really killing me, so I stopped doing that, and I started streaching more both before and after jogs. Legs slowly but surely stopped hurting.

It was not untill the last weeks that I noticed that the running was giving me some real hell if I didn't mind what I was eating, so I started eating light, staying more hydrated and eating bananas a couple of hours before a run. Should have done that stuff sooner.
Also, my shoes cost 15lv, so around $20 at a local market, and these things seem to be indestructable, very comfortable too. I've used them for hiking a bit as well.

I'd like to say something about motivation, but I honestly didn't have much of it at the start. More like determination. I just decided that I was going to do this, and that was that. What I can say though, is that I enjoy running the way I do. At twilight and at night, in a nearly forestlike environment, all other joggers already gone before I get there. I don't bring music or seek partners because I enjoy my own thoughts and observations of what's around me, it's one of the few times I get to be alone. Sadly soon I might need to switch to morning runs, and then a running partner may be needed...

I sure do love writing walls of text like this... though it's 1am and I definetly forgot something. ohwell.
Image Gluehuffers, all of you.
Perposterown

Post by Perposterown »

I seriously think I should start this. I actually have the possibility that I might have the same, or at least a similar, heart condition to Hisao. Now all I need is a cute legless track start to run with me and I need to figure out a time that would work for me to do it.
Lilly is master race of cripples.
Lilly: Don't apologize for it. Please don't. Have I ever apologized for my blindness? You can't help the way you were born, Hisao. There's no point in apologizing for who you are. You are a beautiful person, Hisao. Please don't ever apologize for that.