Is There Any Character That You Really Hate Seeing?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ravenlord

Re: Is There Any Character That You Really Hate Seeing?

Post by ravenlord »

Definitely Nomiya. What's interesting is that from the very first image I simply assumed that he would turn out to be a sexual predator (I am still convinced that he is and that he was trying to groom Rin). Then Sae was introduced and treated him semi-normally, so I thought well, he MIGHT be ok. And then of course he melted down on Rin at the end, and confirmed his status as the lowest scum in the KS universe.

Jigoro was really annoyying too, but in a strangely ordinary way (if that makes sense). I think he was missing the creepy, slimey factor that Nomiya was always giving off.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

ravenlord wrote:I think he was missing the creepy, slimey factor that Nomiya was always giving off.
It's all about that tongue-hanging-from-mouth sprite I'd say. The one used for the oekaki board. That factor, plus his eyes wide as if he were a druggie in that same sprite, and yeah heh...frankly when that sprite popped up (which thankfully wasn't all that often within KS), I honestly had a hard time deciding wether he wasn't even more ridiculous than Jigoro's katana.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Nomiya is a pedophile hated by everyone. End of story. :P
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Personally, if I had to choose who to deal with, I'd pick Nomiya over Jigoro. Jigoro is a charicature. I've talked with artistic people who got into the professional scene and they pretty much confirmed that what Nomiya puts Rin through is often par the course in the artistic world. It's a harsh environment and if you want to make a living out of it, you do have to draw, draw, draw and then draw some more even though your inspiration is bled dry already in order to succeed. Rin isn't the kind of person I think has great academic prowess...she's so absent-minded I can't see her do very well on tests. With that in mind, Nomiya did what a lot of teachers would probably do...push her to the point where she could use her abilities to make a living and get angry when she torpedos the whole thing at the last moment. His biggest fault, other than his slightly creepy vibe (which remains just a vibe throughout the story), is not being understanding of Rin. Which, with Rin's confusing personality, isn't that odd. Of course his motives are kinda murky, but I'd still prefer him over a person like Jigoro who's pretty much a willfull jerk.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

I'm starting to hate seeing Rin...Every time I do, it hurts. I'm not sure if the ending I just got was supposed to be bad or neutral...Honestly, 'neutral' is a stupid label for any of them. They're either good, bad, or worse. I think it was worse...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Lolzster

Post by Lolzster »

Xanatos wrote:I'm starting to hate seeing Rin...Every time I do, it hurts. I'm not sure if the ending I just got was supposed to be bad or neutral...Honestly, 'neutral' is a stupid label for any of them. They're either good, bad, or worse. I think it was worse...
I don't hate seeing Rin but I agree that its not a neutral, its good, bad and downright terrible.
For me, I also get annoyed when Nomiya appears because I just feel like: "Go away ffs, Rin doesn't want you to be bothering her"
ImageImage
Favourite routes: Lilly>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Shizune

Most Feels in route: Lilly>Emi>Hanako>Rin (frustration doesn't count as feels)> Shizune

Yes I love Lilly and hate Shizune... deal with it :)
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Lolzster wrote:
Xanatos wrote:I'm starting to hate seeing Rin...Every time I do, it hurts. I'm not sure if the ending I just got was supposed to be bad or neutral...Honestly, 'neutral' is a stupid label for any of them. They're either good, bad, or worse. I think it was worse...
I don't hate seeing Rin but I agree that its not a neutral, its good, bad and downright terrible.
For me, I also get annoyed when Nomiya appears because I just feel like: "Go away ffs, Rin doesn't want you to be bothering her"
Rin summed it up nicely herself: "I don't want to talk to you. Every time I do, it hurts."

Shit just kept getting worse whenever I went to see her. And Nomiya's a twat.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Woody Alien

Post by Woody Alien »

Oddball wrote:The only one I really hate seeing is Hideaki. The guy never actually does anything and his personality is flatter than a sheet of paper.
Precisely. He's so apathetic, boring and cringe-inducing that really gets on my nerves after a while. At least his father is so full of himself that becomes a buffoon and thus rather funny for it.
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Nomiya. If it's anything else, it has to be backed with a strong base and judgment. Jigoro's an ass, sure, but you can actually feel sympatethic towards him and his bloated ego AND admire him for being a single father who takes care a deaf-mute daughter and a son.

Now Nomiya, on the otherhand, gives you that chill and disgust like no other character in KS. Take advantage of your student to gain fame and connection? Check. Be a total douche when said student decides to make her own future? Check. Look disgustingly pedophilic? Check.

I swear I believed at some point in Rin's route that Nomiya was thinking of grubbing his paws on the girl for other reason but 'art', but that's just me.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Jigoro's an ass, sure, but you can actually feel sympatethic towards him and his bloated ego AND admire him for being a single father who takes care a deaf-mute daughter and a son.
Is there any indication in KS that Jigoro's a single father? (sure, Shizune's mom's never mentioned but I don't recall anything that suggested whether she left, died or simply doesn't appear in the story)

Personally, I don't really feel sympathy for people with bloated ego's unless they suffer from a case of narcissistic personality disorder that completely ruined their life. Seeing that Hisao went through the trouble of learning sign language just to be able to communicate normally with Shizune in just a few months, something Jigoro hasn't done even though he's had 18 years, I kinda feel he ought to look up to Hisao and feel inadequate, instead of mouthing off to him.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Guest Poster wrote:
Jigoro's an ass, sure, but you can actually feel sympatethic towards him and his bloated ego AND admire him for being a single father who takes care a deaf-mute daughter and a son.
Is there any indication in KS that Jigoro's a single father? (sure, Shizune's mom's never mentioned but I don't recall anything that suggested whether she left, died or simply doesn't appear in the story)

Personally, I don't really feel sympathy for people with bloated ego's unless they suffer from a case of narcissistic personality disorder that completely ruined their life. Seeing that Hisao went through the trouble of learning sign language just to be able to communicate normally with Shizune in just a few months, something Jigoro hasn't done even though he's had 18 years, I kinda feel he ought to look up to Hisao and feel inadequate, instead of mouthing off to him.
I don't think anyone is saying that Jigoro will be winning "father of the year" anytime soon. I think the point is if your daughter's car broke down in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night, and someone stopped by, would you rather it be Jigoro or Nomiya. I think Jogoro is the lesser of two evils -- being an ass but not criminally so. He'd probably chew your daughter out for being irresponsible, but he would get her home safely.

Nomiya, OTOH . . . well just say that's there is a ton of grimdark fan fiction that could be produced from a scenario like that: including ether, an underground dungeon, amputation devices, etc :P
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Guest Poster wrote:
It is never explained intricately in the story, but is hinted as such through dialogues between Hisao and Shizune during his stay. In most records, Shizune never mentions any accounts of growing up with her mother and always relate to Hideaki or Jigoro.

This can be assumed that Shizune's mother died probably after Hideaki was born, leaving Jigoro to care for the two and develop that attitude (I'd say it can also be regarded as overprotectiveness)

Besides, try looking at a different angle. If your daughter brings home a boy who--is revealed--to be her boyfriend, then add to the equation that he is capable of communicating with her (a feat you have failed over the past 18 years of her life), you will have that urge to get 'above' that boy by grading him in your own terms to boost your now-shattered ego of being the 'only man in her life'. It's that feeling when you know 'that guy' has the chance to take your precious daughter away.

Understandable. It's the same as Nomiya's goal, but his outward appearance strikes me wrong 80% of the time.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

I've decided I hate Nomiya after he basically chewed Rin's head off (figuratively). :lol: I'm almost done with the route but I haven't been playing lately.
Mint

Post by Mint »

I can't personally fathom why so many people say Kenji. It is a matter of preference after all, but I personally love seeing the guy in action. Not only is he the person Hisao confides in, willingly or not, but he's a break to you - the player. Notice how he has a tendency to appear directly after some really heavy moment for Hisao. Regardless of how annoying or tasteless what he says is, he always, even if a little, manages to ease the tension on you. And Hisao, of course.

But above all else, I can't help but think there's something more to the guy, 4LS left a lot to the imagination and Kenji is a prime example.

As for my most hated character, I'm definitely in the bandwagon. Nomiya.
I just hate people who exploit other people. Especially when that other person is visibly in pain and you make them push themselves further, only because you consider them your prodigy and weigh your own pride on their shoulders.
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

Nomiya is a character pretty easy to hate.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25