What of Rin's parents?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

fukano_

What of Rin's parents?

Post by fukano_ »

This has probably been brought up before, but every other character's parents are involved to some extent, (though I don't know about Shizune's mother, and you never see Lilly's parents) but Rin's are barely mentioned. It lead me to thinking about it a fair deal, and I imagine her parents to be distant, and cold towards her, perhaps because of her disability, which may contribute to the fact that she's so distant from everyone else. I think it's even likely that she's adopted, or something. Does anyone else care to share their thoughts on the matter?
Rin>Hanako>Lilly=Shizune>Emi

"Someone drops a snow cone on his shoe. Too bad for him."

"Could it be that I actually am the sky?"
Enceladeans

Re: What of Rin's parents?

Post by Enceladeans »

I always assumed Rin didn't have a good relationship with her parents, due to both her disability and how difficult she can be to understand.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Enceladeans wrote:I always assumed Rin didn't have a good relationship with her parents, due to both her disability and how difficult she can be to understand.
Same. Just seemed to fit her lifestyle, so that's what I went with as well.
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

This is probably as close as we'll get to 'seeing' them:

[shimmie]1918[/shimmie]
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Rin's mom being wacko and Rin's dad being the stoic one seem to be popular ideas on the shimmie. No reason why they couldn't both be 'sperger's-type mathematicians and wound up with an artsy child that confuses them both.

http://shimmie.katawa-shoujo.com/image/1954.png

http://shimmie.katawa-shoujo.com/image/1847.png

FAKE EDIT: changed a word to 'artsy' before the autism jokes piled in
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
yummines

Post by yummines »

im guessing cause the author of the route took all his time in carefully making up Rin-isms to focus on her family

though it does make you wonder if shes like that due to her environment or because of something else?
Akros

Post by Akros »

yummines wrote:im guessing cause the author of the route took all his time in carefully making up Rin-isms to focus on her family

though it does make you wonder if shes like that due to her environment or because of something else?
just wait for the sequel....

LOL!!!
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

yummines wrote:though it does make you wonder if shes like that due to her environment or because of something else?
One of the biggest things about her, that you only come across in the good ending, is that at some point in her early childhood she didn't want to cry anymore (very likely tied to anxiety related to her lack of arms and inability to do things most children could), because for whatever reason she felt as if it was not properly representative of how she truly felt. And as a result of that train of thought going unchecked (she probably never got a good explanation for all the different reasons why people can cry), her mind literally managed to convince her that logically that must mean that she can't really tell how she feels, in turn also convincing her that she cannot ever tell who she really is.

And as a result of that she turned to art. Because she believed, it was 'the only thing she can do properly' and thinking that her paintings would be the only way she could tell others and herself as to who she is/was...over and over...obsessively as she changed through time...and having her tears come out only while she slept/dreamt, because that was the only time when her consciousness would be enough off-guard to allow it. It isn't until the exhibition proves her otherwise, together with Hisao's words that art isn't an exact representation of emotions due to it being interpreted, that her mind finally breaks down enough to allow her to consider the feelings she experiences as actually 'real' without the need for them to be expressed through art and thus becoming fit to be expressed through her body. It's why right afterwards, for the first time ever, Rin actually blushes.

My own guess, based on this as being the core problem behind her? She was born with incredible mental abilities, but somewhere along the lines her parents ultimately didn't intervene and guide her enough or made an inadvertent mistake with her upbringing that convinced her of the starting thought. I doubt it was intentional on their part. More likely, they were too busy with their jobs or simply weren't perceptive enough to notice the subtle changes in Rin, or they used an inadvertent phrase that drove Rin to emotionally cripple herself with the power of her own mind ever since early childhood. But still...all speculation.
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

Let's turn this around for a second.

If the story followed one of the girls pursuing Hisao, most of them would learn nothing about his parents - not because he harbors some dark secret, but because he doesn't consider his relationship with his parents to be a priority.

Rin's relationship to her parents isn't a priority. It could be a good relationship with an excellent family life, it could be a harrowing gauntlet of inhuman monsters who have no right to be parents constantly abusing her. It wasn't relevant to the story being told, or to the characters involved, so it was never addressed.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

I don't know if this is against the rule. But I want someone who visualize Rin's parent. I considering writing a Fanfic which continue right after Rin's good ending. It would be quite boring if whole story after dandelion hill are consist of Hisao hangs out with Rin in school or around town with some event or random philosophic conversation. So at some point I might have to add Rin's parent to play too as I already have storyboad for Nomiya and Sae. Any helps will be appreciated and credited when I post fanfic here.
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
Axelownz

Post by Axelownz »

The mom looks oddly like Chie from Persona 4 with a different colored jacket and shorts instead of a skirt....weird thinking of her being Rin's mom...
loch

Post by loch »

Hanako killed them, too
-Stuff Happens-