Android version of VN (First Beta is Ready)

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ShadeHaven

Re: Android version of VN

Post by ShadeHaven »

I've got an old HTC Evo 4g I'd love to try this on if you do get permission from the dev's. Its got a resolution of 800x480 though, so that may present a problem.
magzh

Post by magzh »

We can try to test it on device with lower resolution but images are gonna be cut beyond normal point so you are gonna have a lot of headless people on the screen ^^
Later after finishing all acts I can try decreasing the resolution of all assets, which is gonna allow playing on smaller screens.
magzh

Post by magzh »

Here's 2videos which are gonna show almost everything what I did up-to-date
They are quite laggy because I was using crappy video recorder. Without video recorder novel runs without any lags on my phone

EDIT:
Music and sounds do work, just this video recorder cannot record audio...
magzh

Post by magzh »

UPDATE:
I finally finished everything until the first night in the school. Everything between Novel start and Kenji's first meeting is finished. 6 more in game days are left to do in Act 1.

I am going to try to find a better video recording tool for android and post a video of whole my work done on youtube.
EDIT: There are no good video recorders which work on my phone :/

EDIT2:
I have fully ready first beta, this build is just to understand on which devices this novel is gonna work and it includes small show-off of everything I did so far. I am gonna upload it only after dev's permission.
magzh

Post by magzh »

I have 2 news. One is good and one is bad.
Let's start with a good one:
The novel is gonna work on devices with lower resolution than 800*600. I tested it on my old device with 800*480 pixels and it worked perfectly.

Bad news:
I am temporarily freezing all my work until any of the devs are gonna actually make any comment here because I do not wish to waste time on something that might be rejected later on by them.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

magzh wrote:I have 2 news. One is good and one is bad.
Let's start with a good one:
The novel is gonna work on devices with lower resolution than 800*600. I tested it on my old device with 800*480 pixels and it worked perfectly.

Bad news:
I am temporarily freezing all my work until any of the devs are gonna actually make any comment here because I do not wish to waste time on something that might be rejected later on by them.
Send them a message or email, its way easier.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
andros414

Re: Android version of VN (First Beta is Ready)

Post by andros414 »

Sorry, folks, but this is answered as the very first question in the Game FAQ announcement:
Q: I want to port KS to a different platform, what do you think about it?
A: The answer is no. Don't bother asking. Additionally, don't talk about it here.
Shizune > Emi = Hanako > Lilly > Rin
magzh

Post by magzh »

ok
Wander

Post by Wander »

That's a very disappointing policy to have to be honest. The game is non-profit so what exactly is the problem with ports? And I'm saying this as someone who has no interest in an android version as I am a Windows phone user.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

Wander wrote:That's a very disappointing policy to have to be honest. The game is non-profit so what exactly is the problem with ports? And I'm saying this as someone who has no interest in an android version as I am a Windows phone user.
They likely don't want to have to give support for issues on other platforms, because they'll be viewed as the studio that created KS and people tend to go to them first instead of contacting the actual author of the port.
Wander

Post by Wander »

I expect it to be the main reason indeed that they don't want to be associated with anything they haven't full control of themselves, but I feel like that could be worked around.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

Wander wrote:I expect it to be the main reason indeed that they don't want to be associated with anything they haven't full control of themselves, but I feel like that could be worked around.
If they wanted to work around it, it'd mean that they have to audit the codebase to see if it is to their liking (and so whether it meets their standards for coding) because they'd want to be able to fix it themselves if really required. Nah, I don't think that they'll even want to work around it. And yes, you could have it saying 'UNOFFICIAL ANDROID PORT' everywhere but people will be retarded enough to still ask 4LS or on this forum in the support section and Silentcook&co doesn't want to spend more time locking topics for retardism.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Kutagh wrote:
Wander wrote:I expect it to be the main reason indeed that they don't want to be associated with anything they haven't full control of themselves, but I feel like that could be worked around.
If they wanted to work around it, it'd mean that they have to audit the codebase to see if it is to their liking (and so whether it meets their standards for coding) because they'd want to be able to fix it themselves if really required. Nah, I don't think that they'll even want to work around it. And yes, you could have it saying 'UNOFFICIAL ANDROID PORT' everywhere but people will be retarded enough to still ask 4LS or on this forum in the support section and Silentcook&co doesn't want to spend more time locking topics for retardism.
"Retardism"...That reminds me of an idea I had a few days ago. The cat's litter box has these charcoal filters to deal with the smell and father mentioned how charcoal's a good filter for a lot of stuff. I asked him if it could filter stupidity...Sadly, it cannot. But wouldn't it be amazing if you could smack idiots in the head with lumps of coal and they'd miraculously be cured of being idiots?
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

Xanatos wrote:
Kutagh wrote:
"Retardism"...That reminds me of an idea I had a few days ago. The cat's litter box has these charcoal filters to deal with the smell and father mentioned how charcoal's a good filter for a lot of stuff. I asked him if it could filter stupidity...Sadly, it cannot. But wouldn't it be amazing if you could smack idiots in the head with lumps of coal and they'd miraculously be cured of being idiots?
Any cure for idiocy would certainly make my life much, much easier.
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

misterprinny wrote:Any cure for idiocy would certainly make my life much, much easier.
I think we can all agree. To quote Anton Lavey: "It's too bad stupidity isn't painful".

Just imagine if stupid could somehow be channeled into a fuel source. Nobody would ever need gasoline again.

And really, you're a prinny. Not being a prinny would make your life easier. I use you guys as suicide bombs...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."