Hanako's Broken Heart Club

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Walrusfella

Re: Hanako's Broken Heart Club

Post by Walrusfella »

Total Destruction wrote:That fuckin' wrecked me for a bit. I had literally kicked it with him the day before I bounced up north.
I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. It's horrible when somone dies too young like that. Like Gandara said, mortality's a piss-off. Grief is important, and I'm glad you're moving through it. It's good to see you post again.

I lost a friend in high school under similar circumstances. I had seen him at school on a Thursday, and on Saturday morning his little brother called me and asked if I would be a pallbearer. I didn't have that premonition that anything was wrong. They weren't able to figure out for sure whether it was intentional, but I think it was. I tormented myself for a long time with "what if" this and "what if" that.

I know I shouldn't, but I get angry at his shade sometimes. "You numpty. If you'd just held out a year or two life would have got better. We'd be having so much fun now. You'd have met a nice girl or several; you always were more charismatic. You'd be off doing something you love. But you just had do go and balls it up."

Of course that's not fair at all. Neither of us had any perspective at that time; our worlds were so tiny and bleak and what he was going through must have been hell. Still, I can't help feeling that way sometimes.

I'm not sure exactly why I brought that up. Again, it's good to see you post, even with such sad news.
Auratus wrote:I also think that I might be even more vulnerable for another (or other) heartbreak. I think I should be more stronger and maybe leave a message to future's me, to not lost hope, yourself or even life to love. (I fear my future's self to commit suicide on such thing. I think my life still has way too much to die by or for someone. But I always tell myself that no insane man think he is insane. For example, Kenji)
For God's sake, don't. Not ever. See the above.

Like you said, nobody is worth that. Maybe you should write that message to your future self. I've never thought of that.

Congratulations on starting Couch to 5k! It does get fun eventually, though it may be hard at the start. I can't recommend it enough, it's done wonders. Feel free to update us on your progress over here! :)
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Exbando

Post by Exbando »

Total Destruction: Sorry to hear about your friend. Not sure if this'll help, but Only the Good Die Young.

As for me, I'm trying to change things up. I'm going back to school this semester, but not for video game design. I'm gonna try mechanical engineering, like my uncle was. I'll only take a couple classes at a time, though, so as to not overload myself. I'm also going to bed earlier. I was going to sleep at 7 am, but now I'm hitting the hay at about 5 am, with an end goal of between 2-3 am.

As for the girl I've got a crush on, she did go back to school, which leaves me three options to tell her how I feel. I can a) go to the school and try to find where she is (the school is fairly close), b) text it to her, or c) wait for her to come back to town. Shoulda tried harder to hang out with her beforehand, but I can't change that now.
Hanako > Lilly = Emi > Shizune > Rin
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here
I have a fanfiction! It's pretty bad. I started another fanfic cause I'm stupid!
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Total Destruction wrote:Well, a few days after being back home, I run into a friend of mine while I'm out for a jog who tells me that while I was away, my good friend that lived on my street up and died. The guy's always been a bit nuts, and had been off and on meds for what I was thinking might be borderline schizophrenia, but was otherwise a cool dude. Had NO idea that he'd been taking Benadryl to fall asleep for the past few months, and apparently, his father came home, found the house flooded, and discovered my buddy had drowned in the bathtub after ODing.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Nyzer

Post by Nyzer »

I know I shouldn't, but I get angry at his shade sometimes. "You numpty. If you'd just held out a year or two life would have got better. We'd be having so much fun now. You'd have met a nice girl or several; you always were more charismatic. You'd be off doing something you love. But you just had do go and balls it up."
To be fair... Someone in that position, thinking that sort of thing, is not going to believe that if you say it. "Things will get better" is an empty saying. "Things can get better" isn't, but to say that it will get better makes someone think, and not exactly incorrectly, that you're just saying what you think they want to hear.
You do not know the future, and whatever you think of his personality may not match what he thought. It could even have been a facade on his part. Nearer to the end, anyway.
Someone who has managed to get to the point where suicide is a viable idea isn't going to turn their life around and suddenly be happy with it just by a change of attitude - there's probably more than one "trigger" that's set them up to feel that way, and those wouldn't be all that easy to overcome. Even if you as a concerned friend think that they ought to have been. Someone like that can change something about their life, perhaps conquering or escaping those triggers, but I can almost guarantee you that some kind of change needs to happen in their life for them to start seeing it as something enjoyable again.

Of course, this's assuming that suicide is an idea he'd thought on for a while, and not a sort of sudden-impulse thing. That mindset I can't even begin to guess at.

Anyway, yeah, I realize you're upset that he chose to end himself, if that's what the case was. It's totally understandable, I just hope that adds a bit of perspective.
All you really need to know is that there's a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning. I wish I could make something like that up; it shoots shurikens and lightning.
Total Destruction

Post by Total Destruction »

Much appreciated, dudes.
... Danger.
Xiious

Post by Xiious »

My heartfelt condolences, TD.... It's never an easy thing to let go when someone you care about passes away too soon.

Someone once told me, you can never get over the pain and shock of losing someone. All you can do is learn how to live with it.
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

I've finished sitting through the ungodly torture that is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and noticed something unusual about the last episodes. When a sibling gets married, it can be an unusual experience. My little sister is engaged to be married.
That poor bastard doesn't know what he's in for.

HA! Anyway came crawling back to the broken heart club to crack wise and vent some woes after a few job apps fell through. I'm still trying to find some freelance writing work as well, but the local magazines aren't looking for anyone. I'll be getting some aid from a third party organization that is meant to help people find jobs soon, but until then i seek solace in Katawa Shoujo. Even if i'm shit broke, at least i don't have to deal with Hisao and Kenji.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Wanderingheartache

Post by Wanderingheartache »

a friend of mine asked me to be a part of some Katawa Seiyu project... not sure how to react, I have no experience voice acting and I do not fit the males whatsoever
I was drawn to this for a reason, the name I picked was for a reason deeper than I can actually think of... Yamaku is not just a fantasy to me.

(no avatar, I choose to be faceless willingly...)
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

Wanderingheartache wrote:a friend of mine asked me to be a part of some Katawa Seiyu project... not sure how to react, I have no experience voice acting and I do not fit the males whatsoever
Only do it if you are interested into it. No experience isn't that big of an issue, the team can whip you up to an acceptable state with a bit of coaching :P
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Wanderingheartache wrote:a friend of mine asked me to be a part of some Katawa Seiyu project... not sure how to react, I have no experience voice acting and I do not fit the males whatsoever

Oh for fucking in church... ignore the request, the whole voice acting in Katawa Shoujo thing is a stupid idea, and fan attempts at it can only end badly.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Short update on what I wrote a lot of pages ago...^^

1. My new high school is great. The people in my class are friendly and I even met some anime fans (Girls! :mrgreen:).

2. OMH!!! I went to return a couple of movies my love interest lent me, and a few moments later I was invited to dine with her family. It was like in the first episode of Clannad, if you count Sanae as Nagisa's sister. Now I can die as a happy man. :D

3. I have never been as social IRL, as I've been these last couple of weeks.

(OMH = Oh my Haruhi ;))
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Pyramid Head wrote:

Oh for fucking in church... ignore the request, the whole voice acting in Katawa Shoujo thing is a stupid idea, and fan attempts at it can only end badly.

You'd be surprised, it's very well coordinated thus far.

Besides, technically Katawa Shoujo itself was a 'fan attempt', and we can vouch for how well that turned out.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Potato

Post by Potato »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Pyramid Head wrote:

You'd be surprised, it's very well coordinated thus far.
Well-coordinated does not equate to "good". Any attempt is bound to fail expectations because these voices were all already filled in by the players as they played the game. I've heard some of the demos and such produced by the project and even the stuff that isn't necessarily bad is hardly good.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

OtakuNinja, great to hear it's going well. Have fun, and why not try to get closer to your love interest? Remember: if she rejects you, it's fine too, you saved much time. If she accepts on he other hand, ... . "A no you already have, but a yes you can get, perhaps." as one lady once taught me. If you don't ask, you lose by default.

PyramidHead: remember, to find a job, you'll have to send out at least 100 resumes if not more. Normally it goes like this: 100 resume's sent -> 10 invites to a job interview -> 1 concrete job offered. And that's if everything goes well.
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

OtakuNinja wrote:Short update on what I wrote a lot of pages ago...^^

1. My new high school is great. The people in my class are friendly and I even met some anime fans (Girls! :mrgreen:).

2. OMH!!! I went to return a couple of movies my love interest lent me, and a few moments later I was invited to dine with her family. It was like in the first episode of Clannad, if you count Sanae as Nagisa's sister. Now I can die as a happy man. :D

3. I have never been as social IRL, as I've been these last couple of weeks.

(OMH = Oh my Haruhi ;))
Wow, that's awesome! You really came up trumps. Keep it going.

Beoran's right, as he's wont to be. Consider telling her how you feel, if you haven't already.

Nyzer, thank you. Points well taken. I'd reached the same conclusions in my head, but my heart gets angry and sad about it sometimes.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!