Android version of VN (First Beta is Ready)

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

magzh

Android version of VN (First Beta is Ready)

Post by magzh »

I completed almost half of the port for an android. It is fully working right now, but videos and images are still missing (I am still trying to figure out how to put them in). All music and text/decisions are working. Before uploading the file here for testing, I want to know creators's opinion on uploading android application here for beta testing. If creators allow this testing, I will send all needed files to them so that they could upload it on android market themselves.

EDIT: I have finished the first beta, look at my last post to find out more information about it. I will upload it after dev's permission.
Last edited by magzh on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kutagh

Re: Android version of VN

Post by Kutagh »

Sorry, but a port is not allowed at all unless you have explicit consent of 4LS, which you clearly don't have.
Creating a port violates the Creative Commons BY-NC-ND license you consented to when you downloaded Katawa Shoujo, which you can view here. Since you are altering/transforming the build, you're violating the no derivate works clause in the CC BY-NC-ND license.
magzh

Post by magzh »

I know, I red all those licenses. But I am not re-distributing this to anyone at all. Moreover as I said in my first post, after finishing all work I am gonna give it to any of 4LS representative, so they could upload VN under their own name onto android market.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Nicely done, magzh.

Its nice to see some people are trying to port it and will eventually submit their works so 4LS can publish it, its kinda of a surprise that no one made it already, visual novels are nice to play on a tablet/smartphone.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

magzh wrote:I know, I red all those licenses. But I am not re-distributing this to anyone at all.
Protip: the ND in the license does not mean North Dakota.
gRaViJa

Post by gRaViJa »

I don't think the devs will allow this, but it's good to hear you are not going to distribute it yourself without their consent. Good luck in your endeavors. I'm also interested in 4LS reaction to this.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
magzh

Post by magzh »

yeah I am still waiting for their permission. I already have a first full version apk for crashtesting. Right now there are only those things left in my TODO list: majority of backgrounds are missing, characters are not showing, videos not working (so they are just skipped automatically right now) and random crash during some particular scenes. All the rest is completely working (even extras in main menu ^^ except videos ofc).
Jawaberztoc

Post by Jawaberztoc »

iPhone also? I would pay for it also, due to the accessibility of being on my phone, my god, that would be purely amazing.

Good job on your work btw.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

Jawaberztoc wrote:iPhone also? I would pay for it also, due to the accessibility of being on my phone, my god, that would be purely amazing.

iPhone uses Objective-C and not Java, as well as the fact that the Ren'Py engine isn't ported to Objective-C/iPhone, makes it extremely unlikely that an iPort will arrive ;)
magzh

Post by magzh »

Jawaberztoc wrote:iPhone also? I would pay for it also, due to the accessibility of being on my phone, my god, that would be purely amazing.

It is impossible to port it for iOS due to the stuff guy above me said ^^.

Also even if I am gonna finish this project, I am not gonna sell it because it does not belong to me.
Small update: Right now project is stuck due to some problems with source code. I found a way to switch off animations which were causing crashes in the novel. But I am still unable to turn on majority of backgrounds due to one problem: RenPy sets some images as unloadable so they are automatically switched to the background missing image. Like this:
Attachments
bgmiss.jpg
bgmiss.jpg (53.66 KiB) Viewed 10724 times
magzh

Post by magzh »

sry for double posting but
HUGE Update: all background images now DO work. woohhoo
After rewriting some of the files I finally managed to get it to work LOLOLOLOL I am so happy. Now I need to find out how to make characters images show up and the novel for android will be ready.

EDIT:
FUUU YEAH
Characters are working as well. Now I am gonna build first beta apk in 24 hours. It is gonna include whole Act 1 with backgrounds, character images and decisions (but no videos, after I am gonna finish all acts I am gonna try to make placeholders for videos). Act 2,3 and 4 are gonna be in the first beta but the images won't work in them and they might regularly crash.
Akros

Post by Akros »

magzh wrote:sry for double posting but
After rewriting some of the files I finally managed to get it to work LOLOLOLOL I am so happy. Now I need to find out how to make characters images show up and the novel for android will be ready.

EDIT:
FUUU YEAH
Characters are working as well. Now I am gonna build first beta apk in 24 hours. It is gonna include whole Act 1 with backgrounds, character images and decisions (but no videos, after I am gonna finish all acts I am gonna try to make placeholders for videos). Act 2,3 and 4 are gonna be in the first beta but the images won't work in them and they might regularly crash.
Here you have an Android bitch wanting to be your Beta Testing bitch btw
KS in my phone, that's too fucking crazy and creepy for some people but I'll sacrifice myself for the greater good
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
magzh

Post by magzh »

Akros wrote:
magzh wrote:sry for double posting but

EDIT:
FUUU YEAH
Here you have an Android bitch wanting to be your Beta Testing bitch btw
KS in my phone, that's too fucking crazy and creepy for some people but I'll sacrifice myself for the greater good
just as a note. I am not allowed to share apk until any of developers are gonna give me the permission to do so. Moreover you might need at least 800*600 pixels on your phone, I have no idea whether it will or won't work on devices with lower resolution. I will try to fix it after finishing all acts.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

Will it work on 1280x800? Cuz once you have permission, I can try it on my Transformer 300T (high-end specced tablet) :)
magzh

Post by magzh »

Kutagh wrote:Will it work on 1280x800? Cuz once you have permission, I can try it on my Transformer 300T (high-end specced tablet) :)
It will work. I have galaxy S3 and it has 1280*720 and novel works perfectly on full screen ^^
I can show some badly made photos of what to expect from this project =)