Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pseudogenesis

Re: Ask!

Post by Pseudogenesis »

I've heard a lot complain that Rin in Act 1 seems quite different from Rin in the rest of her acts, although I've noticed this to some extent with most of the characters. Considering you're the one who wrote Rin's path, is there a particular reason for this? Just curious, I'm not one of the people who complain about details like that.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Pseudogenesis wrote:I've heard a lot complain that Rin in Act 1 seems quite different from Rin in the rest of her acts, although I've noticed this to some extent with most of the characters. Considering you're the one who wrote Rin's path, is there a particular reason for this? Just curious, I'm not one of the people who complain about details like that.
Not wanting to step on any toes, but, to me, it seems like simple transcendence. The changes I've seen referenced aren't immediate, but, rather, come along gradually. If you're doing it right, you don't even have to think about it while you're writing - it happens naturally.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Pseudogenesis wrote:I've heard a lot complain that Rin in Act 1 seems quite different from Rin in the rest of her acts, although I've noticed this to some extent with most of the characters. Considering you're the one who wrote Rin's path, is there a particular reason for this? Just curious, I'm not one of the people who complain about details like that.
Well, there simply must be more to a character than silly antics that are good for cheap laughs which is about 90% of Rin in Act 1. If people are unhappy with how I handled it, it's of course too bad and maybe something to reflect on, like any critique.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Well from what I call it was less constructive and more along the lines of "Damn I wanted her to remain as suave and sarcastic as she was in Act 1." Just character preference, when it comes down to it. I preferred the post act 1 Rin, but to each his own.
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

loch

Post by loch »

How do you feel getting nearly 100,000 views on this topic?
-Stuff Happens-
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

loch wrote:How do you feel getting nearly 100,000 views on this topic?
Kinda like I wanna do a statistical analysis on it.

That and blown away.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
krosswerks

Post by krosswerks »

Does Emi derive wardrobe inspiration from Doug Funnie?

Gamera Ramen

Post by Gamera Ramen »

Did the other members of Class 3-3 ever get official names, or did they just catch on somehow?
Hellcat wrote:Hanako as a guest appearance for Marvel Vs Capcom 4, make it happen.
TheHivemind wrote:(the amount of time I spent reading really shitty fanfiction as a direct result of needing more ways to describe sticking a dick in a butt is, at this point, incalculable).
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

cpl_crud wrote:
loch wrote:How do you feel getting nearly 100,000 views on this topic?
Kinda like I wanna do a statistical analysis on it.

That and blown away.

Statistical analysis, then being blown away?

Spoken like a true nerd. I like it here.

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

krosswerks wrote:Does Emi derive wardrobe inspiration from Doug Funnie?
No
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Gamera Ramen wrote:Did the other members of Class 3-3 ever get official names, or did they just catch on somehow?
Well, sort of. What is "official"? Generally, my stance is that only things that are in the game itself are official. That'd make only Miki's name strictly official. However, the 3-3 students that are completely original character designs and not thinly veiled cameos got named a long time ago, when the classroom CG was made, and the names really stuck in use. These are Miki, Naomi, Natsume, Suzu, Takashi and Taro (and Molly sort of, because she's a cameo of something we made ourselves), and I think they are as official as non-game material can be. The cameos were referred to with their names, but at some point suriko made a spoof of I think Negima manga page where he gave original names to the rest of the students. Those names haven't stuck with 4LS like the original names, but we haven't really had the need to refer to the students either. The pic is on shimmie, decide for yourself if it's "official".
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Aura wrote:
krosswerks wrote:Does Emi derive wardrobe inspiration from Doug Funnie?
No
I'd like to extend this answer: I admit that sometimes we did try to be clever by putting a reference to something in KS. In the vast majority of cases that get brought to our attention, however, we did nothing and simple coincidence is to blame (example: the infamous Tainaka Ritsu "retcameo" in the classroom CG).

Additionally, trying to be TOO clever is not clever at all, so some rather ruthless culling happened, especially regarding pop culture refs. If a reference slipped under the radar during this weird game of one-upmanship, odds are that it's not "officially" known as such even within 4LS.

Finally, explaining a joke ruins the joke beyond repair, so I for one try to avoid doing that as much as possible.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

Also there would've been references to everything if some people'd had their way. Haruhi Suzumiya, anyone?

Seriously, from what I gathered in the beta, it was terribad.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
Sabi-dude

Post by Sabi-dude »

This one is for Suriko (or anyone else if they know how to answer)

I loved Lilly's path since, at least to me, it was one of the most emotionally charged paths, BUT my biggest problem with it is that Lilly begged Hisao to never leave her side because she loved him so much that being away from him, and her "new" family, would be too painfull, and then she's the one that up and leaves everything behind for the sake of a family that for 6 years forgot she even existed, not because she was made or even forced to leave everything behind but simply because she was asked to...WTF? I mean not once does Lilly even admit that she actually wants to go away.

I get that even during the time she and Hisao were dating she was still confused about making a decision, but now that i look back the more time they spent together and the more they fell in love for one another the clearer that decision should have been.
Of course i understand that Suriko intended to create a scenario where Hisao realised he couldn´t just sit on his ass and dwell in self-pity while the love of his life just left, that even if it was a shot in the dark, he had to fight for their relationship and not simply give up. But i find the reason behind it weird, to say the least...

I know a character can only truly shine through episodes of struggle and conflict (that was actually one of the few things that stuck to me after my creative writting classes) but there could have been a better plot device to create that effect. I dunno maybe i'm looking too deeply into this, or maybe i just don't undersatnd Lilly's mindset, but could anyone explain it to me please? ^^" and by no means is this me just raging on how something "should have been", i just genuinely don't get it ^^"
misterprinny

Post by misterprinny »

How long do you expect the game (and perhaps the forums) to retain its popularity?
Head Editor at Stewart-Class 7 Studios, an OELVN studio similar to 4LS. Please check out our blog and website and our forums.