Why is Katawa Shoujo so beautiful?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Potato

Re: Why is Katawa Shoujo so beautiful?

Post by Potato »

Gordon_4 wrote:unrelated trauma (Eri)
It's Emi, and how is it unrelated? She lost her legs in the same accident where she lost her father. Both pretty clearly played some part in this complex she's got going on.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Potato wrote:
It's Emi, and how is it unrelated? She lost her legs in the same accident where she lost her father. Both pretty clearly played some part in this complex she's got going on.

I got the impression that she cared much less about the loss of her legs than she did about the loss of her father. She bounced back easily physically, and had no problem talking about her disability, calling herself "The fastest thing on no legs."
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

Because its very existance shows that the impossible is, in fact, possible.

And I refuse to elaborate on that any further.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

As someone said in another thread; "Money ruins everything. Keep the story in your mind"
That's why KS is so beautiful. Because there's no money involved. ;)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Potato

Post by Potato »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Potato wrote:

I got the impression that she cared much less about the loss of her legs than she did about the loss of her father. She bounced back easily physically, and had no problem talking about her disability, calling herself "The fastest thing on no legs."
Huh. I got the impression that she was sort of bullshitting herself, always forcing herself to be the best and acting so casual about it to avoid being pitied. Sort of a repressed inferiority complex, similar to how Hisao dreads the idea of being viewed as damaged or pitiful. Her near-constant bragging about her athleticism (even for an athlete), vehement refusal of any aid, and excessively casual view of her own condition always struck me as a bit much to really be sincere. It all seems much too insistent, like she's trying to stay convinced herself as much as convince others. She clearly refuses to let it define her but it always seemed to be a bigger deal to her than she let on. Hisao's white knight nonsense seemed to frustrate her more than the others as well on that account. Clearly the father issue was worse but it seemed like both losses played their part. But that's another good thing about KS. Impressions can vary. :mrgreen:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Gordon_4

Post by Gordon_4 »

Potato wrote:
Well, I got the impression that although she lost her legs, it was really the death of her father that haunts her. Obviously she'd feel some anger about the loss of two major limbs, but her arc is more about her father than it is her legs.

I could be wrong though, that's just how I saw it as I played the game.
James Cameron AND Shizune fanboy.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Potato wrote:

Usually she doesn't have any problem with her disability, but take her off her prosthetic and put her in a wheelchair and it's another story altogether.
Not Dead Yet
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Potato wrote:
Pseudogenesis wrote:
Potato wrote:

Huh. I got the impression that she was sort of bullshitting herself, always forcing herself to be the best and acting so casual about it to avoid being pitied. Sort of a repressed inferiority complex, similar to how Hisao dreads the idea of being viewed as damaged or pitiful. Her near-constant bragging about her athleticism (even for an athlete), vehement refusal of any aid, and excessively casual view of her own condition always struck me as a bit much to really be sincere. It all seems much too insistent, like she's trying to stay convinced herself as much as convince others. She clearly refuses to let it define her but it always seemed to be a bigger deal to her than she let on. Hisao's white knight nonsense seemed to frustrate her more than the others as well on that account. Clearly the father issue was worse but it seemed like both losses played their part. But that's another good thing about KS. Impressions can vary. :mrgreen:

She does act like that, but it's not for the benefit of others. I'd say it's just her personality. Even when Hisao wasn't around she was running nonstop, through the rain and injury, to try and make herself forget her loss.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"