Is There Any Character That You Really Hate Seeing?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ProfAllister

Re: Is There Any Character That You Really Hate Seeing?

Post by ProfAllister »

*dons asbestos underwear*

One character stuck out to me as completely pointless and extraneous - Miki. She just feels kind of shoehorned-in, especially as she only appears in Hanako's route, and doesn't even seem to contribute all that much.

Yuuko troubles me. I don't know why, it's probably because I simply don't understand her yet, but I just feel something off-putting about her.

Jigoro and Nomiya are actually very human individuals, with some obvious failings. Of particular note, they are the sort of individual that would be disliked by a self-important asshole teenager who believes he has all the answers. Hence their unpopularity.

And, of course, people object to the relevance of the Antique Shopkeeper. He may seem extraneous at first, but then you notice the quality crafting of his lines, the utter flawlessness of his every detail. I despair that I will never meet a man as perfect as my husbando...
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

Gonna be jumping the bandwagon a bit with this one (and it's blatantly obvious considering my stated favourite), but Nomiya. Can't say I feel the same about Jigoro. He might be a shit dad and obnoxious as heck, but I get the sense that even he knows the times he pines for (wether they ever truly existed or not) have passed and at this point all he can do is bark loudly. That's okay - everyone's entitled to an opinion after all, even if it takes more effort to ignore some opinions than others.

Nomiya is worse in that regard. As to why specifically, I'll just leave it at that. Funnily enough, I get the exact opposite reaction from Sae...in fact even though she makes what could've been a critical error during the story, I actually like her demeanor a lot. In many ways Sae seemed to me as the kind of person I wish Nomiya would've been - she doesn't mince words, she gives good solid criticism, doesn't leap at the first opportunity in front of her without at least some consideration to the cost.

But...on a less 'hateful' note (if you can call it that - these are fictional characters after all), Hideaki also isn't far off. Damn, he reminds me too damn much of why I've grown to dislike my generation...but eh, he's a kid so I can forgive him much more easily.
Last edited by Loonie on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

ProfAllister wrote:Jigoro

Of particular note, [he is] the sort of individual that would be disliked by a self-important asshole teenager who believes he has all the answers.
Along with anyone who is naturally inclined to dislike loud-mouthed over-egotistical douchebags with no manners and a seemingly endless supply of self-important bullshit being vomited forth in his every breath (incidentally all the traits of a stereotypical asshole teenager), which is...Well, mostly everyone, which explains his unpopularity even more. :lol:

@Loonie: You dislike your generation for borderline crossdressing? XD
Last edited by Xanatos on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

Xanatos wrote:@Loonie: You dislike your generation for borderline crossdressing? XD
Nohohooo :D Hideaki being mistaken for a girl is something I could, actually, very much so sympathize when a couple of grown-ups mistook me for a girl when I was 8 years old meself once. ;)

No, not the outside - it's...meh, it's a whole 'nother tale and frankly if I decide to tell it here, on the internet where my generation thrives, it'd be outright flamebait. I'll just say that I think his (or was it Hisao's?) potential thoughts on journalism as his eventual career choice are VERY apt. ESPECIALLY if he chooses to go into something like videogame journalism.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Loonie wrote:
Xanatos wrote:@Loonie: You dislike your generation for borderline crossdressing? XD
Nohohooo :D Hideaki being mistaken for a girl is something I could, actually, very much so sympathize when a couple of grown-ups mistook me for a girl when I was 8 years old meself once. ;)

No, not the outside - it's...meh, it's a whole 'nother tale and frankly if I decide to tell it here, on the internet where my generation thrives, it'd be outright flamebait. I'll just say that I think his potential thoughts on journalism as his eventual career choice are VERY apt. ESPECIALLY if he chooses to go into something like videogame journalism.
So you just hate crossdressing journalists. That is the most awesomely specific hatred ever and I approve completely because it's probably funnier than the real tale. :P Video game journalism is an oxymoron, sadly. I wouldn't call any of that journalism if I were held at gunpoint and ordered to call it journalism.

Only tangentially related: I was looking up KS pics and somehow stumbled upon a review titled "A Spoileriffic Review of Katawa Shoujo: Cripplepimp Chronicles" that described Hideaki as "the underage Jewish trap"...Not sure where 'Jewish' came from but I hate yarmulkes. Fuck Hideaki.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

*chuckles* No...I don't hate neither cross-dressers NOR journalists per se. It's moreso about what kinds of people tend to be attracted to journalism in the first place (especially oxymorons like you pointed out). But eh...sure, whatever man. Your post gave me a good chuckle. :D

For the record, I honestly find Hideaki to be a very handsomely dressed boy. Emphasis on the word 'boy'. ;) Feel free to spin that in another ridiculous direction though. Oh the implications of my emphasis! *swoons*
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Loonie wrote:*chuckles* No...I don't hate neither cross-dressers NOR journalists per se. It's moreso about what kinds of people tend to be attracted to journalism in the first place (especially oxymorons like you pointed out). But eh...sure, whatever man. Your post gave me a good chuckle. :D

For the record, I honestly find Hideaki to be a very handsomely dressed boy. Emphasis on the word 'boy'. ;) Feel free to spin that in another ridiculous direction though.
Spinning ridiculous directions is the best way around a dead end. Driving 101. Incidentally, I can't drive (literally or legally). And I won't comment on Hideaki's fashion sense. :lol:

I also started to hate Misha and Shizune a bit for a while, ironically not in Shizune's route, which I loved and get funny looks for doing so. Every time they appeared, I was just gritting my teeth waiting to be dragged into more student council nonsense...
HarvestmanMan

Post by HarvestmanMan »

THAT FUCKING ART TEACHER.
Current Number of Fanfics Cooked: 2
Gordon_4

Post by Gordon_4 »

Jigoro mainly, because he's just a raving twat. Anytime he's on screen I think to myself it would be funny just to say something like "Your daughter, man, what a dom. Seriously, dude, between you and me, that lady tells me when we're done" and just smile a shit eating grin.
James Cameron AND Shizune fanboy.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Hideaki
txalolrn9

Post by txalolrn9 »

Gordon_4 wrote:Jigoro mainly, because he's just a raving twat. Anytime he's on screen I think to myself it would be funny just to say something like "Your daughter, man, what a dom. Seriously, dude, between you and me, that lady tells me when we're done" and just smile a shit eating grin.

I think several times Hisao wanted to say something but thought better of it because Jigoro had A FUCKING KATANA
It only hurts when I breathe
Gordon_4

Post by Gordon_4 »

txalolrn9 wrote:
Gordon_4 wrote:Jigoro mainly, because he's just a raving twat. Anytime he's on screen I think to myself it would be funny just to say something like "Your daughter, man, what a dom. Seriously, dude, between you and me, that lady tells me when we're done" and just smile a shit eating grin.

I think several times Hisao wanted to say something but thought better of it because Jigoro had A FUCKING KATANA
Jigoro strikes me as a guy who talks a good game, but for all we know that 'katana' of his is just a fancy walking stick or a prop. He may not know how to use it.
James Cameron AND Shizune fanboy.
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

txalolrn9 wrote:I think several times Hisao wanted to say something but thought better of it because Jigoro had A FUCKING KATANA
As strange as it sounds, that fact made him seem much less threatening and more ridiculous to me. Almost to the levels of a grown-up Kenji ridiculous. I mean...okay it'd be different if I were actually in the same room with a guy that had one, like Hisao was, but still I am 100% certain he's never even raised that thing against someone in a threatening manner. I'd sooner say he carries it around to compensate for something. :P
newnar

Post by newnar »

I know I will get alot of hate on me for saying this, but on every playthrough I just abhor the sight of Misha. Her "Wahahahaha" is incredibly annoying and somehow whenever I see that line I can hear her voice resounding within my skull, refusing to stop echoing. And not to mention because she really kills the atmosphere umpteen times in my first and favourite route.

Don't get me wrong, my most hated character is Nomiya, but the character I HATE SEEING the most has to be Misha, hands down.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

I kinda see the characters that contribute little to the story as being the ones I don't like seeing.

Misha is grating, but she actually carries a lot of weight in the tale (and no that's not a fat joke, she's pleasantly curvy).

Yuuko has her moments of zen in the story, and she serves as great comic relief during tense moments - much like Kenji.

Nomiya, thankfully, is only seen in Rin's route, but he contributes heavily to the outcome of the story - indirectly and directly. Sae is similarly cast, but she does have her moments.

Jigoro and Hideaki actually help describe a lot of Shizune's thought process, indirectly, and while they're both jarring, they aren't acting out of character. Jigoro's berating of Hisao is easily fatherly concern masquerading as belligerent antagonism, and Hideaki's oddities set up some of the more telling moments where Shizune is concerned.

Akira flows in and out of a few of the stories, and does a lot to make Hisao think every time she appears. Her contributions actually end up being much more subtle than her candor indicates.

However, some characters feel like throw-aways. The antique shop keeper, Miki, Mrs Ibarazaki (in Rin's route), and, in most routes, Nurse (in all but Emi's route), end up contributing so little to the proceedings that they could have been left out with only minor changes to the dialogue.