Olympics

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

WorldlyWiseman

Re: Olympics

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

I want the guy to be able to participate in the Olympics, heck, I've wondered why the Special Olympics have to be a whole separate event instead of having them included as though it were just another weight class or whatever.

That said, it wouldn't make any sense to have a runner compete against, say, a wheelchair racer, because those are two entirely different skill sets. Even if the chair is following a set of Olympic regulations, evaluating the skill of each athlete becomes problematic because it's comparing unlike things. I can understand (but don't really agree with) interested parties with strong backgrounds in athletic science and mechanical engineering trying to make a case that Pistorius's function differently enough from biological legs to make it a different kind of contest. I would find such an effort to be a bit suspect, maybe even petty, but I don't have the kind of education that would allow me to say one way or the other.

I remember from years past some people trying to say that his feet were an advantage because they could be improved outside of actual training, and that being countered with slow-motion video analysis claiming that the prosthetics actually made his legs sway to the outside more as he ran, which made his running less efficient and therefore not an unnatural advantage. It gets complicated, but it all really has more to do with the Olympic's strict definitions for its events.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Hoboy

Post by Hoboy »

Blades are his shoes. High tech shoes are a much more money driven corporate research-driven product than running blades for amputees. You think that shoes should be regulated more closely (like the body suits in swimming were 4 years ago)? I think that carbon fiber running blades (with less muscle driving them) should be able to compete with "able-bodied" athletes in high tech shoes...
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Keep the discussion and controversy up guys!

I'm, totally not doing a research paper on Prosthetics in Professional Sports and looking for ideas or anything
$50 says I live more South than all of you
minkus

Post by minkus »

I saw him run, and I have to admit it was impressive to see him go. I don't think it gives him an advantage at all, but it does show that there will be more athletes in the future who may be using similar prosthesis. What other events could he participate in? Could there be a gymnastics or diving athlete who uses the same legs?

Kenji: I wear a hat now.