Why does Hanako attend Yamaku?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Free the Bee

Re: Why does Hanako attend Yamaku?

Post by Free the Bee »

Agreed with the above post.

Hanako isn't physically disabled, and although she suffers from psychological trauma, she's not mentally disabled either. So even if Yamaku did accept mentally disabled students, we'd still likely be having this debate, because what Hanako has is no more a mental disability than, say, depression. It's still as impairing as hell, but it doesn't require any special facilities or special schooling.

Story-wise, I believe Hanako is most likely at Yamaku because somebody has successfully argued on her behalf that it's the best place for her to be. As much as she struggles in her current school, it'd be a hundred times worse in a regular one. I can quite easily see the school governors or whatnot at Yamaku agreeing to take Hanako for the sake of her psyschological health alone.

Also, I think that Misha's disability will probably show itself in time. I'm thinking epilepsy, but there's any number of disabilities that are impossible to spot by looking.

Although... in a way, I think it'd be kind of nice if Hisao never finds out what Misha's disability is... only for him to realise this at the end of the game and think, well, what does it matter?
Roxius

Post by Roxius »

I was just thinking...maybe it's like Hanako was the one accidentally responsible for the fire, so she also is mentally disturbed over the fact that she had killed her own father...maybe?
You just KNOW there's gonna be a Nurse X Akira X Hanako threesome witnessed by Yuuko at SOME point during the Emi path...in Lilly's room.
atat

Post by atat »

Free the Bee wrote:
Although... in a way, I think it'd be kind of nice if Hisao never finds out what Misha's disability is... only for him to realise this at the end of the game and think, well, what does it matter?
Got to agree with that, that would be an interesting way for it to go down.
Nixons back!!!!
Bluest Big Bang

Post by Bluest Big Bang »

Okay so basically it boils down to this;

•Everyone in a normal school would bully her and not look past her scarring, so she goes to Yamaku for a most sincere atmosphere, yet she is still insecure about how "ugly" she became.

•Her father died in the fire she was present in. She barely got out for some reason-- ... wait ... maybe the father lit the house on fire? How else could she have gotten burned like that? Sure, blunt trauma from falling burning wood off the cieling and minor scarring, but not her whole face and back of hand. My suggestion for the motive was that Hanako's mother left them, and he got all depressed and wanted everything to go away, so he poured gas on Hanako, then on himself and lit everything up. Hanako survived, he didn't.

•So then is the mother paying for Hanako's stay at Yamaku?
Roxius wrote:I was just thinking...maybe it's like Hanako was the one accidentally responsible for the fire, so she also is mentally disturbed over the fact that she had killed her own father...maybe?
Well, it's evident she WANTS to be friendly with others, but doesn't know how to right off the bat, so she's not THAT disturbed. Hisao can successfully do so with her if he's polite enough.
Squirg

Post by Squirg »

Everyone knows burns take HP after every turn. Haven't you guys played Pokemon? That's obviously why Hanako is there.
Bluest Big Bang

Post by Bluest Big Bang »

Squirg wrote:Everyone knows burns take HP after every turn. Haven't you guys played Pokemon? That's obviously why Hanako is there.
Haha, you so crazy.
tyren

Post by tyren »

Squirg wrote:Everyone knows burns take HP after every turn. Haven't you guys played Pokemon? That's obviously why Hanako is there.
....Okay, I laughed. :P
U.T. Raptor

Post by U.T. Raptor »

Well played.
kobe

Post by kobe »

oh god, that made my day! *resist urge to babble about pokémon and EVs, IVs, advanced stuff,...
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Aura wrote:There is a number of students at Yamaku who don't exactly NEED to be there. Yamaku is not a hospital, it's a school, so they don't drive anyone away if they don't fill some set conditions. In fact, technically you could be perfectly healthy and still attend Yamaku (provided that you have enough money to pay for tuition and convinced the foundation that you need the spot more than some poor cripple).
静音是买外夫
tyren

Post by tyren »

Warwick wrote:
Aura wrote:There is a number of students at Yamaku who don't exactly NEED to be there. Yamaku is not a hospital, it's a school, so they don't drive anyone away if they don't fill some set conditions. In fact, technically you could be perfectly healthy and still attend Yamaku (provided that you have enough money to pay for tuition and convinced the foundation that you need the spot more than some poor cripple).
That was the post I was thinking of, somehow I forgot it was actually Aura that wrote it (and mixed around what it said but the general message is the same :P).
Strider

Post by Strider »

Sorry, I'm not really into pokemon.

Also, I though Hanako's mother died soon after the fire?
Coyfish

Post by Coyfish »

I'm pretty sure it was Hanako's father.....though, that's what everyone seems to be saying. How do you guys know the characters' back stories already? I'd like to know where I could read those kinds of things.
Strider

Post by Strider »

Srsly, I thought I read somewhere that her father died in the fire, and that her mother died a few days later....

Maybe I'm just crazy.

Also, the "About" announcement has some info, as well as the website proper.
Jenso

Post by Jenso »

The larger percentage of women in Yamaku can easily be explained away with cosmetic flaws. While a missing thumb might not hinder daily life it'd still lay a mental burden on a child especially for girls who place more weight on the issue of appearances while the same injuries might even cause admiration in boys, a gnarly scar for example.

THAT is not the reason Hanako attends this school however and I can imagine the devs in gleefully sadistic anticipation at this thread.
(Y.Nagato): Cinderella