Does KS really cause Manly Tears

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ProfAllister

Re: Does KS really cause Manly Tears

Post by ProfAllister »

I would have thought that people would be familiar with the TVTropes page(Warning - Link to TVTropes). When people use the specific phrasing "Manly Tears," it's generally troperese.

That being said, the question's a silly one. Manly Tears are simply a subset of feels. No one (well, not too many) disputes that KS gives feels. Obviously, those prone to Manly Tears will cry like a man, while others express their feels in whichever way comes most naturally to them.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Blicer

Post by Blicer »

I would say no. I didnt cry at all or during clannad or kanon or w.e but that doesn't mean there weren't feels.
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Helbereth wrote:[Types of crying]
At my grandmother's funeral last month, it was the latter; the end of Lilly's path was the former. I must be messed up :shock:
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

dwarduk wrote:
Helbereth wrote:[Types of crying]
At my grandmother's funeral last month, it was the latter; the end of Lilly's path was the former. I must be messed up :shock:
I was using examples to get the point across, not try to identify causation. There's different kinds of crying and the type depends on a lot more factors than I can really quantify. Basically, it depends.

Sorry about your Grandmother, by the way.
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

All the paths got me misty eyes with the exception of Shizunes. The parts with Misha were indeed depressing, but they didnt get me to feel like the other paths did.

Hanako's path got me more than anything else when she meets Hisao in the park and they have their emotional outpouring. Hanako crying is one of the most heart-shattering things Ive ever seen, along with Lilly with Hisao in the field and hospital, and Rin with Hisao in the classroom after Nomiya yells at her.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

Surprisingly from a response from Aura, KS was not written to cause manly tears, at least for Rin's arc, as she was the writer of it. That might not be the case in other routes but it is for Rin's.

Now with that in mind, if you really want other VN's that cause "manly tears" go to recommend vn thread or go to vndb and look up the nakige tag.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

I believe this is the quote you referenced from the "Ask" thread:
Aura wrote:When I use the word "manipulation" it's with absolute, utter disdain. I don't like how the nakige (literally "crying game") genre trades story integrity for cheap shots at the reader's tear ducts. I'm sure any writer wants a reader to laugh when they read something meant to be funny, or feel sad for something sad, but when your only goal is to wring tears out of your reader, it's going too far. As for me, I didn't think of any specific reaction I wanted to evoke in my readers, as Rin's path was a cerebral thing for me more than an emotional one. Any reaction is fine and valid in my book, whereas if you don't cry after reading a nakige game, the game has failed its ultimate goal.
Reading this, the point of the tale (Rin's in this case) wasn't to intentionally cause 'feels', but, if that's what the reader got from it, that was fine. Sometimes the intent of the writer is completely different from the reaction of the reader.
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

Thanks for finding the quote for me

I would love to see the input of the other writers. I personally like Nakiges because of 2 reasons and its not because I want to cry. I like them because I consider them as an alternate reality, what if my life was like that? Then I wouldn't mind putting all the work just to get by in one of the nation's top high school. The second reason is because the writing style of most of them has everything in it; comedy, drama, sadness, and happiness(usually).
Meepergon117

Post by Meepergon117 »

I shed some manly tears during Lilly's good ending, because at first I was like She's gone!*tears of sadness* but after the musicbox appeared I was like *tears of joy*.
Axelownz

Post by Axelownz »

I did not cry during the any of the storylines, i tend to keep my emotions in check. The only time recently i even came close to crying it at my grandfather's funeral last year and i still somehow managed to hold it all together. The storylines did sadden me at times and emotinally drained me though, so they effected me, i just did not show it.
newnar

Post by newnar »

stanman237 wrote:Surprisingly from a response from Aura, KS was not written to cause manly tears, at least for Rin's arc, as she was the writer of it. That might not be the case in other routes but it is for Rin's.

I don't understand. What then was the intended effect? It is hard to believe that the lines weren't made with such motives in mind
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

newnar wrote:
stanman237 wrote:Surprisingly from a response from Aura, KS was not written to cause manly tears, at least for Rin's arc, as she was the writer of it. That might not be the case in other routes but it is for Rin's.

I don't understand. What then was the intended effect? It is hard to believe that the lines weren't made with such motives in mind
Aura wanted to tell a story with believable realistic characters. I believe the other authors had the same as their primary goal. It appears, in Aura's estimation, that the feels in a nakige are fake - engineered to evoke feels, but utterly soulless. For Rin's story (the only one he can speak for), the goal was to portray a reality. Feels from this reality would then be natural, but the lack of feels does not mean that the story failed. In other words, the lines resonate because they reflect truth, not because they were composed for the sake of evoking feels.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
newnar

Post by newnar »

ProfAllister wrote:
newnar wrote:

Aura wanted to tell a story with believable realistic characters. I believe the other authors had the same as their primary goal. It appears, in Aura's estimation, that the feels in a nakige are fake - engineered to evoke feels, but utterly soulless. For Rin's story (the only one he can speak for), the goal was to portray a reality. Feels from this reality would then be natural, but the lack of feels does not mean that the story failed. In other words, the lines resonate because they reflect truth, not because they were composed for the sake of evoking feels.
Argument accepted. But are the two intrinsically mutually exclusive? I guess the answer to that is highly subjective. Thus it defeats the purpose of asking in an objective voice. But it is logically sound since it is the direct logical follow-up to the before statement. Thus, is the statement that birthed the before statement also subject to such
MrJackFrost

Post by MrJackFrost »

Not only manly tears, Dude. I was reduced to a light - medium depression for a week because one of the heroine (Emi) did exactly what I did. At that point, I became guilty ridden and even my appetite gone. But, well, that aside, most of the routes are good enough to discharge a manly tears. Those routes in which I broke one are Rin's and Lilly's. These two are immensely beautiful. Of course I want to broke one too when I went through Kenji's route, but alas my funny bone managed to overcome myself. :D
Carpo diem! -- Seize the day!
HarvestmanMan

Post by HarvestmanMan »

No.
Current Number of Fanfics Cooked: 2