Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Suedars

Re: Ask!

Post by Suedars »

Aura wrote:
Pseudogenesis wrote:Any particular rationale to the way you named the characters? Lilly's name seems more romanized than the others, although I'm unsure if it's intentional.
Contrary to popular belief, Hisao's name kanji reading is not an intentional pun.
Could you clarify this for those of us not familiar with Japanese?
LeHarlz

Post by LeHarlz »

What are the favorite food and drink of the 5 girls? [Seemingly trivial question that means surprisingly a lot.]
You'd think you'd play Katawa Shoujo for a good amount of Katawa Shoujo before Katawa Shoujo keeps you from playing Katawa Shoujo because you're doing Katawa Shoujo in a different sense of Katawa Shoujo, but no!
50% completion and I'm already the Director of the Katawa Seiyu Project: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6818
Something tells me I need to play more KS.
Chariots Chariots
Kwyna

Post by Kwyna »

Aura wrote:
Aura wrote:
Kwyna wrote:Would members of 4LS consider doing an AMA thread on reddit? Just something I wanted to ask since the KS phenom was on par with skyrim at it's peak there at one point. References to KS still pop up time to time, and reddit loves indie devs anyway.
Combined with the fact that the 4 leaf story is pretty inspiring to a lot of people, I think it'd really be enjoyed by alot of your fans.
You understand you are posting in a thread that functionally is a persistent AMA thread, and literally anyone can pop in and ask us whatever? That said, sure we can consider it, maybe even do it. I don't know if that kind of thing would take of outside of r/ks though.
And bam, we did it:
I just saw it. :) Thanks for doing that btw. I must say, I'm a little surprised to see the reaction you're getting. Interest seems to really have died down since February(when KS first overtook skyrim as the most played game on the monthly survey). But if there's anything I've observed about 4LS, its that you're not in it for the glory. Good luck.

And really, thank you for caring about your fans as much as you do.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Suedars wrote:I've got a question for Hivemind:

I know you ended up writing Emi's path because nobody else wanted to and someone had to. Did Emi grow on you as a character over the course of writing her story? Now that the project is done, if you were to time travel back into the past when you all were choosing characters to write, would Emi be your first choice, or would you still want to write for a different character (ignoring any factor of not wanting to write the same story twice)?
Oh no, Emi definitely grew on me as things progressed. Once I'd agreed to do the path, I basically took a lot of elements that I would have given to Rin (because that's the path I initially was going to write) and gave them to Emi instead--which is why Emi's probably a little smarter than she was originally supposed to be (I did have to take out a bunch of references to stuff that Emi definitely never would have read from her dialog early on). So if I were to go back I'd probably still wind up with Emi, if only because Rin turned out so much better than she would have otherwise.

Plus I'm super lazy and apart from adding a little more interaction with other characters I'd probably write the exact same path, but probably a little better because I at least pretend that I grew as a better writer over the last five years.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Aura wrote: Misha is named after a character in the novel Red Dragon.

It's actually "Hannibal Rising".

Misha (I actually think it is spelt differently in the novel, but I don't have it on hand) is Hannibal's sister. Things don't end well for her. I think I had just finished reading it when we needed names, and it seemed "Japanese" enough to slip in. Someone, I think it was Aura, then Retconned "Mikado Shiina" in to give her a real name
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

cpl_crud wrote:

Misha (I actually think it is spelt differently in the novel, but I don't have it on hand) is Hannibal's sister. Things don't end well for her.
It's "Mischa" in the book.
Not Dead Yet
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Oddball wrote:
cpl_crud wrote:

Misha (I actually think it is spelt differently in the novel, but I don't have it on hand) is Hannibal's sister. Things don't end well for her.
It's "Mischa" in the book.
This is why I love forums.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

cpl_crud wrote:I love forums.
Be careful, someone might quote you on that. :twisted:
Suedars

Post by Suedars »

TheHivemind wrote:
Suedars wrote:I've got a question for Hivemind:

I know you ended up writing Emi's path because nobody else wanted to and someone had to. Did Emi grow on you as a character over the course of writing her story? Now that the project is done, if you were to time travel back into the past when you all were choosing characters to write, would Emi be your first choice, or would you still want to write for a different character (ignoring any factor of not wanting to write the same story twice)?
Plus I'm super lazy and apart from adding a little more interaction with other characters I'd probably write the exact same path
It's funny that you say that. I thought that Emi's path did the best job out of all of them in terms of using side characters.
Josh_Mac

Post by Josh_Mac »

On the announcement for the soundtrack release, it says it's made by Nicol, Blue, and "Special Guests." Who are the guests and which tracks were they on?
Kyvos

Post by Kyvos »

During Lilly's route, in the scene "Out and About" I believe, she says that she's recieved several confessions in her previous school and this one. She also says that her previous school was a strict, catholic, all-girls school, which would make it unlikely that there were a large number of homosexuals. Was this accidental, or did I miss something?
Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Rin
100% get!
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Kyvos wrote:During Lilly's route, in the scene "Out and About" I believe, she says that she's recieved several confessions in her previous school and this one. She also says that her previous school was a strict, catholic, all-girls school, which would make it unlikely that there were a large number of homosexuals. Was this accidental, or did I miss something?
Wow... yeah, that seems like a pretty odd mistake. I even looked up the scene and read it for myself... and I recall her talking about getting confessions. I suppose they could have come from... but...

Yeah, now I'm curious. That just seems so off-kilter.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Helbereth wrote:
Kyvos wrote:During Lilly's route, in the scene "Out and About" I believe, she says that she's recieved several confessions in her previous school and this one. She also says that her previous school was a strict, catholic, all-girls school, which would make it unlikely that there were a large number of homosexuals. Was this accidental, or did I miss something?
Wow... yeah, that seems like a pretty odd mistake. I even looked up the scene and read it for myself... and I recall her talking about getting confessions. I suppose they could have come from... but...

Yeah, now I'm curious. That just seems so off-kilter.
If I'm not mistaken, this is a Marimite reference. No big deal.
Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

TheHivemind wrote:If I'm not mistaken, this is a Marimite reference. No big deal.
There was a time when I didn't know what that abbreviation was about. Also I kept reading that as Marmite (which is not the desired reference). So for those who are as clueless now as I was then:

Marimite = Maria Sama ga Miteru. (And, yes, I actually chuckled at the reference; Lilly's character just evokes that show.)
Ascended Flutist

Post by Ascended Flutist »

Actually asking a question (well, several, but one, really) this time :

Regarding the bathrooms in the dorms : Are they situated

1) Between two adjacent rooms?

2) In a room accessible from the corridor?

3) Both of the above?

Or is this particular layout left hanging, and can be shaped to suit the whims of fanfictions writers?

Yeah I know, but all the good questions were already answered, so this is what I got.
And to live in Peace A post Hanako Good End fanfiction. That about sums it up.

Fanfics Thou shalt not regret reading : Bloodline, Doomish's Misha Pseudo-route, Rika's Story, A Pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route.
There are many other apocryphas worth reading in the fanfiction section. Do yourself a favor, dig them up and read them. Reading is good.

Nice hat.