Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

TheSongofRaven

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by TheSongofRaven »

Nobody in Particular wrote:I finished Quartett! not so long ago, it's a decent VN, even if it is a little short. It's a shame that so few VNs use the comic style that was shown in Quartett!, it was certainly the highlight of the VN. Also that protagonist was great.
Damn agree mate. Nah, so far only Quartett! which i know use comic style. Did you have another recommendation ? I just start on Shihua route on this game >.<
"I believe everything like horse race. When you are lose, simply ride the horse again and face any challange"
Twitter : @GrimPointman, Skype : steven.yehezkiel6791
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

Clannad without a guide is almost impossible because you have to make about 30-40 Specific choices out of 50-60 in order to get a certain route, but Little Busters is different, the routes get locked after you finish them until you finish the game making it easier to get the other routes.

The real reason why Little Busters is so long is wasting time on the 2 minigames: Baseball and Fighting.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

stanman237 wrote:The real reason why Little Busters is so long is wasting time on the 2 minigames: Baseball and Fighting.
Of course not. Myself, I turned those off after the first route, and the rest of the routes still took a damn long time.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

39 pages of recommendations to sort through...My inner Shizune cringes at the inefficiency of this method of VN discovery. Better get started... :cry:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Xanatos wrote:39 pages of recommendations to sort through...My inner Shizune cringes at the inefficiency of this method of VN discovery. Better get started... :cry:
It is indeed inefficient, but is also more practical than making a list and updating, especially cause these things depend on personal tastes and all.
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

TheSongofRaven wrote:Damn agree mate. Nah, so far only Quartett! which i know use comic style. Did you have another recommendation ? I just start on Shihua route on this game >.<
As far as I'm aware Quartett! is the only translated VN that uses the comic style, although Littlewitch (the guys who made Quartett!) have made a few more that are still in Japanese.
Xanatos wrote:39 pages of recommendations to sort through...My inner Shizune cringes at the inefficiency of this method of VN discovery. Better get started... :cry:
Well most of the "Must play" VNs are on that chart. There are also a few that aren't on the chart but are recommended, such as Edelweiss, Phantom of Inferno, My Girlfriend is the President, Juniper's Knot, Higanbana and Da Capo, as well as some more recent ones such as Dengeki Stryker and School Days. Take your pick!

Anyway, back onto the topic of recommending VNs, I don't think I have seen Hinatabokko in the topic yet. Hinatabokko is an incredibly tame comedy/romance type of VN but still pretty enjoyable, if not a little ordinary. I'm currently playing it right now (only finished two routes) and it is probably something worth playing directly after something overly dramatic, because the main flaw I could pinpoint in this game is not that there is too little drama or that the drama is poor, but rather that the drama is non-existent. A pretty standard "moege", so it may appeal to you if you like that kind of thing. It also has a terrible translation.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Nobody in Particular wrote:Anyway, back onto the topic of recommending VNs, I don't think I have seen Hinatabokko in the topic yet. Hinatabokko is an incredibly tame comedy/romance type of VN but still pretty enjoyable, if not a little ordinary. I'm currently playing it right now (only finished two routes) and it is probably something worth playing directly after something overly dramatic, because the main flaw I could pinpoint in this game is not that there is too little drama or that the drama is poor, but rather that the drama is non-existent. A pretty standard "moege", so it may appeal to you if you like that kind of thing. It also has a terrible translation.
I almost yawned when I read the VNDB description. Looks pretty, though.

Here's a question: what are some of the best translations of a VN you've read? So far G-senjou is far and above the best I've encountered - TLWiki seems to be fairly competent.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Mysterious Stranger wrote:I almost yawned when I read the VNDB description. Looks pretty, though.
I only just read that VNDB description and it's slightly inaccurate, or perhaps that is because I haven't done the routes. It isn't the most interesting one around, not by far, but it's decent. I'm enjoying it more than Planetarian, YMK, School Days and Quartett! if it counts for anything, although I'm easily pleased when it comes to VNs.
Mysterious Stranger wrote:Here's a question: what are some of the best translations of a VN you've read? So far G-senjou is far and above the best I've encountered - TLWiki seems to be fairly competent.
Symphonic Rain is probably the best translation I've came across. Despite being a translation you could tell that the writing was really well done, plus there were no stupid spelling or grammatical errors that are present in many other VNs. From the ones I've played I'd say TLWiki and Amaterasu are by far the best translation groups.

I also liked the translation of ef, despite the criticism of "troll lines" that it gets. Personally I wouldn't really call them troll lines or at least nowhere near as bad as the translation for Hoshizora no Memoria. On the topic of ef, Mangagamer just released The First Tale two days ago. Anyone been playing that yet? I'm thinking of buying it as an excuse to replay ef, except without the troll lines.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
TheSongofRaven wrote:Damn agree mate. Nah, so far only Quartett! which i know use comic style. Did you have another recommendation ? I just start on Shihua route on this game >.<
As far as I'm aware Quartett! is the only translated VN that uses the comic style, although Littlewitch (the guys who made Quartett!) have made a few more that are still in Japanese.
Well most of the "Must play" VNs are on that chart. There are also a few that aren't on the chart but are recommended, such as Edelweiss, Phantom of Inferno, My Girlfriend is the President, Juniper's Knot, Higanbana and Da Capo, as well as some more recent ones such as Dengeki Stryker and School Days. Take your pick!

Anyway, back onto the topic of recommending VNs, I don't think I have seen Hinatabokko in the topic yet. Hinatabokko is an incredibly tame comedy/romance type of VN but still pretty enjoyable, if not a little ordinary. I'm currently playing it right now (only finished two routes) and it is probably something worth playing directly after something overly dramatic, because the main flaw I could pinpoint in this game is not that there is too little drama or that the drama is poor, but rather that the drama is non-existent. A pretty standard "moege", so it may appeal to you if you like that kind of thing. It also has a terrible translation.

Why would anyone recommend something that's translated by dyslexic monkeys?
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
TheSongofRaven

Post by TheSongofRaven »

Just finished Quartett today. Result is : MANLY TEARS. I can't stop crying reading the story and conclusion of this VN. Maybe this is the third VN which make me cry after G-Senjo no Maou and Katawa Shoujo. Seriously, Quartett is highly recommended altough it's short >.<
"I believe everything like horse race. When you are lose, simply ride the horse again and face any challange"
Twitter : @GrimPointman, Skype : steven.yehezkiel6791

Post by Guest »

TheSongofRaven wrote:Just finished Quartett today. Result is : MANLY TEARS. I can't stop crying reading the story and conclusion of this VN. Maybe this is the third VN which make me cry after G-Senjo no Maou and Katawa Shoujo. Seriously, Quartett is highly recommended altough it's short >.<
Really then i suggest reading Key's work and trying them out. They started the manly feels VN genre called nakige in 1999 with Kanon which i think is the best translated VN bbecquse it has translators notes on certain highlighted lines about japanese culture. The translation is also an all ages patch to the game if you do not want the useless h scenes
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Guest wrote:
TheSongofRaven wrote:Just finished Quartett today. Result is : MANLY TEARS. I can't stop crying reading the story and conclusion of this VN. Maybe this is the third VN which make me cry after G-Senjo no Maou and Katawa Shoujo. Seriously, Quartett is highly recommended altough it's short >.<
Really then i suggest reading Key's work and trying them out. They started the manly feels VN genre called nakige in 1999 with Kanon which i think is the best translated VN bbecquse it has translators notes on certain highlighted lines about japanese culture. The translation is also an all ages patch to the game if you do not want the useless h scenes
However, Kanon also has borderline horrifying art. Watching the anime might actually be a better choice for some people. Of course, that depends whether art is an important factor to the reader. Just thought I'd warn about it, nevertheless.

Oh, and Kanon wasn't the first nakige. One ~Kagayaku Kisetsu e~ was an even earlier nakige (the earliest one that VNDB has track of, even though there probably are earlier ones) that came out under the Tactics brand, by the same people who later started Key.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I don't think the art is that bad, considering it is from the 90s. :)
I suggest playing the VN first, then the anime. Or watching the 2002 anime, then the VN, and then the 2006 anime.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

OtakuNinja wrote:I don't think the art is that bad, considering it is from the 90s. :)
I suggest playing the VN first, then the anime. Or watching the 2002 anime, then the VN, and then the 2006 anime.
Why would you watch the 2002 anime first? That's just horrible spoilers for the VN itself. I agree that the art is well out of date because its from the 90's.

On a side note, I just found out that Rewrite is FREAKING 8 GB BIG. That's 20x the size of KS.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

stanman237 wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:I don't think the art is that bad, considering it is from the 90s. :)
Why would you watch the 2002 anime first? That's just horrible spoilers for the VN itself. I agree that the art is well out of date because its from the 90's.

On a side note, I just found out that Rewrite is FREAKING 8 GB BIG. That's 20x the size of KS.
If someone isn't planning to read the VN, then not a problem, I guess.

Oh, and the size of Rewrite is weird. Both discs count up to 8.22 GB. But the installed size of the game is only 7.12 GB. What's that additional 1.1 GB used for? And of course it's 20x the size of KS. It's HD, fully voiced, and way longer. Many VNs do come close to this size, actually. For example, the two "Dives" of Baldr Sky add up to like 10 GB, and Majikoi is another 7.2 GB, despite both being 800x600.