Katawa Shoujo Fan Movie

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

AquaSonic

Re: Katawa Shoujo Fan Movie

Post by AquaSonic »

Definitely no profit. To see an anime of the stories would be worth paying out of my resources, I like to think. But there is a sort of attachments to each story arc..hard to bring them all together, though I have been sent several ideas, not all of them are desirable.
Xden

Post by Xden »

ravenlord wrote:Fan based art is ok, and a fan based movie freely distributed is not like a studio broadcast.
I would like this actually. If someone were to make a true fan-made movie like that then I would definitely enjoy it.
"Everyone sees what you appear to be. Few really know what you are." -Machiavelli
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Let's just say this is an alternate universe and 4LS gave the rights to have somebody make a movie;

More than likely, it'll be white washed to hell and it would be directed by M. Knight Shyamalan. Twist ending: Hanako imagined everything and Kenji is actually a woman who had a sex change to become a man.
AquaSonic

Post by AquaSonic »

I don't know whats worse, that idea or the fact I would pay to watch it.
Xden

Post by Xden »

I talked to a bunch of guys I know in a KS related chat and they all agreed they would support a fan-made movie if one were to go into development. I say go for it. I think it would be a nice compliment to the devs, as well as just a generally nice tribute to the game.
"Everyone sees what you appear to be. Few really know what you are." -Machiavelli
Guest90206

Post by Guest90206 »

While I have to agree with most of the negative sentiments here, let me just say that, were this to become reality, I would welcome it with open arms and an unbiased viewpoint.
Hanabro to the end.
yummines

Post by yummines »

AquaSonic wrote:Am I remembering correctly, or did they not have a blog post a while back about putting an anime into development not too long ago? Never looked into it, but I hope it's not a cruel joke. And yes, I would like to hear some opinions, if not just from curiosity.
it was a April Fools joke.
and while i think its a neat idea, the issue of it is
1) the devs stated clearly that any KS derivative works are illegal due to its Creative Commons license. fan works are acceptable, but only to a certain extent and obviously must be free.
2) much like if there was an animated series of Calvin and Hobbes, there would likely be much disagreement over voices, as well as making "routes" canon (unless it was seperated like in The World God Only Knows)
3) how could you make it without it being just another romance/drama like Kanon or Air?
AquaSonic

Post by AquaSonic »

There is a certain feel to it, unlike other dramas and romances. Of course, it would be free. But perhaps something as far as a full length film would require contacting the developers..It's alot to think on, and all ideas are welcome in the case that we do move forward with this. The animation and recording equipment would have to be top-notch, as what I'm seeing is a studio TV quality anime movie that just happens to be free because I paid out of my pocket for it. The idea of making several different features with all the story arcs was thrown around, as well as combining all the arcs in one story while keeping them non-romantic. Several different ways to go about this, but very few that can make it right.
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

I'm going to have a bunch of spoilers, so plug your eyes.

I privately favor a short-run series of long episodes.

The first episode opens with a shot of the school roof at night. We can see the fireworks on the sky, the blaze frozen in midair as though time had stopped. There is no sound in these first few minutes. Hisao is sitting at the head of a circle of people. All of them look like much older copies of himself, differentiated by how they lived. The camera goes in on the youngest Hisao, still in his uniform, and we flash to his heart attack in the snow. From there, the first episode leads all the way up to the Manly Picnic and Hisao's fall from the roof.

Each episode begins by coming back to the Hisao Circle on the time-stopped roof as each Hisao tells his story, from meeting a girl all the way to their death. It might have one Hisao for each route, or there may be one for each possible ending, maybe different variations will argue with each other over what could have been done. Hanako-bad-ending Hisao is a sniveling coward who gets punched in the nose by Lilly-good-ending Hisao. Emi-good-ending Hisao strengthened his body his entire life just to get hit by a car, and is feeling cheated. Some other stuff happens, maybe.

In the last episode, the Hisaos reflect on who they became, and one by one they dissipate as they accept what has happened. The remaining one is the youngest Hisao, bottle of whiskey in his hand. He looks up to the hanging fireworks as they slowly burn into motion and envelop the whole roof in red and white light. All of it vanishes in a gust of wind and the audience is left with twenty minutes of black screen. There are no end credits.

Basically, I would structure the storyline less around there being a 'true' sequence of events and more about the multiplicity of possibilities and seeing everyone from every possible angle.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Xden

Post by Xden »

WorldlyWiseman wrote:I'm going to have a bunch of spoilers, so plug your eyes.
Thanks for the heads up.
Guest90206

Post by Guest90206 »

WorldlyWiseman wrote: words words words
FUND IT

FILM IT
Hanabro to the end.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Pretty sure if the devs agreed to it and a group made a kickstarter project it'd get the needed money.
If it'd turn out good is a whole different story though.
JoshuaJSlone

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

WorldlyWiseman wrote:The first episode opens with a shot of the school roof at night. We can see the fireworks on the sky, the blaze frozen in midair as though time had stopped. There is no sound in these first few minutes. Hisao is sitting at the head of a circle of people. All of them look like much older copies of himself, differentiated by how they lived. The camera goes in on the youngest Hisao, still in his uniform, and we flash to his heart attack in the snow. From there, the first episode leads all the way up to the Manly Picnic and Hisao's fall from the roof.

Basically, I would structure the storyline less around there being a 'true' sequence of events and more about the multiplicity of possibilities and seeing everyone from every possible angle.
Interesting way to deal with the different paths. My thought of how KS could be adapted to a more linear format is a bit more straightforward. I think it would need at least 3 "Hisaos", different male characters transferring to school in the early part of the year. One ends up in student council, one ends up lunching on the rooftop, the other lunching in the team room. This would allow most of the events of the various paths to at least be touched upon, without it being obvious who each "Hisao" would end up paired with.