Hisao's name is ironic?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Roxius

Hisao's name is ironic?

Post by Roxius »

Is Hisao's name supposed to be ironic or something? I just found out that it means "long-lived man"...
You just KNOW there's gonna be a Nurse X Akira X Hanako threesome witnessed by Yuuko at SOME point during the Emi path...in Lilly's room.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Hisao's name is ironic?

Post by Aura »

Shizune's name means "quiet sound" and Misha's real first name can be interpreted as "not a name". Rin's last name is Tezuka.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Roxius

Post by Roxius »

Aura wrote:Shizune's name means "quiet sound" and Misha's real first name can be interpreted as "not a name". Rin's last name is Tezuka.
Wow...for some reason, that makes me love this thing even more than I already do...awesome job.
You just KNOW there's gonna be a Nurse X Akira X Hanako threesome witnessed by Yuuko at SOME point during the Emi path...in Lilly's room.
A Simple Fox

Post by A Simple Fox »

I knew about Shizune but not the others. That's kinda cool. Especially Rin's name. :D

Most of my Japanese friends have strangely fitting names. Tomoaki (智明) especially because all he does is study all day in the library. I swear I'll get him to play video games yet! :lol:
"A person who knows but a little will put on an air of knowledge. This is a matter of inexperience. When someone knows something well, it will not be seen in his manner. This person is genteel." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Roxius

Post by Roxius »

What about the others though? Do they have any special meanings to their names?
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

Roxius wrote:What about the others though? Do they have any special meanings to their names?
Some American dude that lived in Japan for 3 years made a thread here detailing what he found odd about the character's names. But for the life of me, I can't find that damned thread. Someone help me out here.
Imagine me and you...
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

"Ibarazaki" isn't even a name according to the name dictionary I'm using, although the dictionary is probably not a very good source. . .

Where are you guys seeing the kanji used in the names? "Emi" could mean "smile", but it could mean lots of things depending on how it's written.
Stupid internet! Why can't you understand how I feel...?
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

ParagonDoD wrote:"Ibarazaki" isn't even a name according to the name dictionary I'm using, although the dictionary is probably not a very good source. . .
That's another name the guy pointed out in the thread I'm looking for. Says Ibarazaki is extreeeeeeeeeeeeemely rare.
Imagine me and you...
Teclo

Post by Teclo »

That reminds me of the American guy that moved to Japan and made a name for himself, literally. He just picked what I can only presume he thought sounded like Japanese words and, hey presto, he had his very own Japanese name. I can't remember his name, though, English or "Japanese".

Rin > Akira > Shizune > Lilly = Emi > Hanako
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Aura wrote:Misha's real first name can be interpreted as "not a name".
About her nickname "Misha", I doubletaked when I saw her name because I'm used to seeing it as the diminutive form of the Russian male name "Mikhail".
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Vertical wrote:
Roxius wrote:What about the others though? Do they have any special meanings to their names?
Some American dude that lived in Japan for 3 years made a thread here detailing what he found odd about the character's names. But for the life of me, I can't find that damned thread. Someone help me out here.
Found it. I remembered that it was in the Feedback thread, but it was pretty far back.
静音是买外夫
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

Warwick wrote:
Vertical wrote:
Found it. I remembered that it was in the Feedback thread, but it was pretty far back.
*Face-palm*

I was going on the assumption he had his own thread. >_<

Thank you
Imagine me and you...
Atashi

Post by Atashi »

ParagonDoD wrote:"Ibarazaki" isn't even a name according to the name dictionary I'm using, although the dictionary is probably not a very good source. . .
'Ibarazaki' is probably my fault. I came up with the name because I was infatuated with using 'ibara' in a name and my train of thought went like this:

'Ibara' means 'thorns'
->
In older versions of Little Mermaid stories, the mermaid princess was cursed to feel the pricking of needles and thorns on her feet with every step
->
The mermaid princess traded her tail for legs
->
Emi does not have real legs like the mermaid princess

'Zaki' was thrown in as a nod to the morbid interpretation of 'zaki' from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, from the name Sonozaki, meaning 'tearing apart'.

Now why 'Ibarazaki' was ultimately chosen by the dev team, I do not know.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Validus Razgriz wrote:
About her nickname "Misha", I doubletaked when I saw her name because I'm used to seeing it as the diminutive form of the Russian male name "Mikhail".
Russian names tend to sound effeminate to English speakers, apparently due to "-a" being masculine in Slavic languages whereas it's feminine in Romance languages.

Sasha, Ilya, Misha...
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Caesius wrote:
Validus Razgriz wrote:
Russian names tend to sound effeminate to English speakers, apparently due to "-a" being masculine in Slavic languages whereas it's feminine in Romance languages.

Sasha, Ilya, Misha...
Misha? Thats sounds like a girls name...
3422752145_a1feb15d21_m.jpg
3422752145_a1feb15d21_m.jpg (19.23 KiB) Viewed 8295 times
Yep, Misha always sounded like a girl's name to me. English is my first (and only fluent) language, being IN AMERICA and all. I do some of studying of Kremlinology, so that's why I'm familiar with some Russian names.

Also, English is a West Germanic language, not a Romance language. Although it has heavy influence from other languages, especially French thanks to the Norman invasion of England.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."