Mary Sue

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Tooltip

Mary Sue

Post by Tooltip »

First I want to say that they game is awesome, I really didn't expect an indi project to turn like this.
That aside, I do have a little...offensive question. Is Lilly a Mary Sue? She does seem to match the description ( blindness aside ), but will she always be like that, or is there anything more to her then that? Or am I just thick?

Re: Mary Sue

Post by Guest »

What in hell happened to the good old days where Mary Sue were words that actually held meaning and purpose? It feels like people just chuck it around these days to describe anything they don't like.

Post by Guest »

Well sure, it might seem that way in the demo, but really I'd wait for the full game before saying anything of that sort.
Envy

Post by Envy »

Tooltip wrote:Is Lilly a Mary Sue?
I don't think you know what a Mary Sue is.
Layzuhl

Post by Layzuhl »

I didn't get that impression. What makes you think she's a mary sue?
Tooltip

Post by Tooltip »

Layzuhl wrote:I didn't get that impression. What makes you think she's a mary sue?
Nah...seems like I'm ignorant.
Well...going to the library, hf fellas.
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

Evidence against:

1)Lilly's heated argument with Shizune/Misha. You'll notice her temperment is very defensive.
1a) ...and Lilly's reaction if you don't take her side

2) How Lilly handled relying on Hisao when they were shopping.

3) Lilly's mood around Rin in the scene where Hisao joins her for shopping. Her rhythm is sabotaged everytime Rin opens her mouth.
3a) And Lilly's confession to this point at the scene's end. Proves she isn't comfortable talking to just anyone.

4) Doesn't try to hide her emotions when stress enters the equation. Proves she is human when problems arise, but has the capacity not to project when it's affecting her (for instance the noodle stand during the School Festival).

5)I think it was established either in-game or in-forum that she was raised in a Catholic school, which would be strict about etiquette.

Anybody feel free to add to this.
Imagine me and you...
tyren

Post by tyren »

Vertical wrote:5)I think it was established either in-game or in-forum that she was raised in a Catholic school, which would be strict about etiquette.
I know she said in-game that she went to a strict private school, I don't recall it being called a Catholic school.

Just being nitpicky. :P
stranger

Post by stranger »

Also doesn't the fanfic definition state that Mary Sues always get the protagonist and/or hawtest guy? That certainly doesn't have to happen.
remember to take your meds, kids
Tooltip

Post by Tooltip »

Vertical wrote:Evidence against:

1)Lilly's heated argument with Shizune/Misha. You'll notice her temperment is very defensive.
1a) ...and Lilly's reaction if you don't take her side

2) How Lilly handled relying on Hisao when they were shopping.

3) Lilly's mood around Rin in the scene where Hisao joins her for shopping. Her rhythm is sabotaged everytime Rin opens her mouth.
3a) And Lilly's confession to this point at the scene's end. Proves she isn't comfortable talking to just anyone.

4) Doesn't try to hide her emotions when stress enters the equation. Proves she is human when problems arise, but has the capacity not to project when it's affecting her (for instance the noodle stand during the School Festival).

5)I think it was established either in-game or in-forum that she was raised in a Catholic school, which would be strict about etiquette.

Anybody feel free to add to this.
Well...that's pretty much all the scene she has, isn't it?
Akira

Post by Akira »

Well I don't know enough about Lilly just from the demo, being unaware what surprises the dev team have in store.
But I tried this quiz using what I knew of her so far:
http://springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm

She scored 18 which is:
17-21
Probably not a Mary-Sue, although a character can go either way at this point. Fanfiction writers should pay attention to ensure that their characters aren't getting too Sue-ish. For an RPG or original fiction character, however, you're probably perfectly fine.
Resisting the temptation to do the test for everyone else now too :oops:
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Tooltip wrote: That aside, I do have a little...offensive question. Is Lilly a Mary Sue? She does seem to match the description ( blindness aside ), but will she always be like that, or is there anything more to her then that? Or am I just thick?
Here, let me show you how to do a Mary Sue correctly:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BobAndGeorge
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Bara

Post by Bara »

Akira wrote:
Resisting the temptation to do the test for everyone else now too :oops:
You better resist for Emi's sake. The only thing Emi seems to show so far in Act 1 is massive ammounts of cute. :roll:

Certainly even following the Emi path in Act 1 Hisao only seems to have shown a lukewarm response to Emi's cuteness and there has not been much revealed yet about Emi herself to form any relationship around. So far:

1. Emi likes to run
1.(a) Emi likes to run a lot
1.(b) see 1.(a)
2. She does not want Hisao to die, particularly if the Nurse might blame her for it.
3. Emi displays a certain ammount of shrewdness about keeping Hisao on a healthy diet for the festival, but Hisao is pretty clearly able to out think her without much trouble.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Pato2747

Post by Pato2747 »

She's not.
Bluest Big Bang

Post by Bluest Big Bang »

She's a nice girl. She was educated in an all-girls school and taught politeness and such, but that doesn't mean she's a sit-up-straight-and-eat-your-vegetables-or-you'll-die kind of girl.

I'll admit I'm not completely familiar with the definition of Mary-Sue, but I know so far that one cannot resemble the creator his/herself in name, appearance, and personality.