Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

acewing905

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by acewing905 »

stanman237 wrote:

Finished Refrain and lets say hitting enough cats would get wonderful results.
Afaik, none of the minigames have any effect on Refrain. (That or I'm misunderstanding your sentence.)
stanman237 wrote: Question to people who finished both Clannad and Little Busters: Which do you like more, Clannad After Story or Little Busters Refrain? I personally liked the Refrain better because of the scope of things along with perspectives from other characters.
Little Busters Refrain. But my reason is not a very good one, though. I don't like Clannad After Story much because it's pretty much impossible to get to it, and in some cases, complete it without a walkthrough. I ended up watching the After Story anime because I don't like having to constantly refer walkthroughs. Otherwise, it's hard to compare the two. They're both stories that'll make the reader/viewer emotional, but they focus on different themes.
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

acewing905 wrote:
stanman237 wrote:

Finished Refrain and lets say hitting enough cats would get wonderful results.
Afaik, none of the minigames have any effect on Refrain. (That or I'm misunderstanding your sentence.)
what I meant was that I just finished Refrain in Little Busters and that hitting the cats would get wonderful but deadly results in the baseball minigame. Sorry if I was unclear
I <3 KS!!!

Post by I <3 KS!!! »

- Phantom of Inferno

- Same as KS, but the genre is action and violence...
- The heroines has different personality that you can choose ..
- Same @ the start plot of KS; the character have forced to join on a organization with memories erased and the first heroine he met is same situation like him,
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

I <3 KS!!! wrote: - Phantom of Inferno

*snip*

- Same as KS, but the genre is action and violence...
- The heroines has different personality that you can choose ..
- Same @ the start plot of KS; the character have forced to join on a organization with memories erased and the first heroine he met is same situation like him,
Too bad the English version is only out in the crappiest format known to VNs, DVD Video.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

acewing905 wrote:Too bad the English version is only out in the crappiest format known to VNs, DVD Video.
Oh, well, so much for that.

Anyway, has anyone played the translated School Days yet?
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Mysterious Stranger wrote: Anyway, has anyone played the translated School Days yet?
From the increasingly numerous reports at /vn/, the English School Days HQ release is heavily bugged, resulting in things like unrelated scenes happening no matter what choices are picked, leading to wrong endings and so on.
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

acewing905 wrote:Too bad the English version is only out in the crappiest format known to VNs, DVD Video.
I've heard it is meant to be really good however, although all Nitro+ games are meant to be good, even Chaos;Head has some loyal fans. Phantom of Inferno also featured on one of the earlier versions of the /vn/ recommendation charts.
Mysterious Stranger wrote:Anyway, has anyone played the translated School Days yet?
I haven't yet, should probably get around to it since it will probably be the hot topic of the next few weeks. As acewing pointed out it is meant to HEAVILY bugged, i.e. choices going the wrong way, constant crashing, no sound, not being able to load saves, full screen compatibility issues, etc... As well as that it is meant to be a pretty mediocre VN except for the animated scenes and bad ends. The bad ends sound hilarious though, it's probably worth it for them alone. Animation seems like a fun novelty too, I'm sure it would make the H-scenes more interesting.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
I've heard it is meant to be really good however, although all Nitro+ games are meant to be good, even Chaos;Head has some loyal fans. Phantom of Inferno also featured on one of the earlier versions of the /vn/ recommendation charts.
Problem is not with the game, but with the format it's on. A visual novel on DVD Video format means restrictions such as no saving (if you decide to stop, next time it'll start over, and you'll have to start skipping), no skipping read text (you'll have to manually stop skipping where you need). This eventually becomes a pain in the butt for any decently long VN.
Mysterious Stranger

acewing905 wrote:From the increasingly numerous reports at /vn/, the English School Days HQ release is heavily bugged, resulting in things like unrelated scenes happening no matter what choices are picked, leading to wrong endings and so on.
Are you joking? Oh Christ, now I feel terrible, because when I heard about the translation being finished, I went ahead and told a friend of mine about it since he's a huge fan of the anime. I'm pretty sure he bought the collector's edition, too... oh well.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Mysterious Stranger wrote: Are you joking? Oh Christ, now I feel terrible, because when I heard about the translation being finished, I went ahead and told a friend of mine about it since he's a huge fan of the anime. I'm pretty sure he bought the collector's edition, too... oh well.
It's not all bad. Since he bought the collectors edition, he got a oppai mousepad, right? :lol:
acewing905 wrote:From the increasingly numerous reports at /vn/, the English School Days HQ release is heavily bugged, resulting in things like unrelated scenes happening no matter what choices are picked, leading to wrong endings and so on.
Umm... I don't think that was JAST's fault. I'm pretty sure the original was like that too from the rumors I've heard about it. Also, remember that it's the HQ version, so a walkthrough for the original won't work. There are definitely bugs, but that's not one of them.
Nobody in Particular

encrypted12345 wrote: Umm... I don't think that was JAST's fault. I'm pretty sure the original was like that too from the rumors I've heard about it. Also, remember that it's the HQ version, so a walkthrough for the original won't work. There are definitely bugs, but that's not one of them.
Apparently it was the original that was bugged, not just the JAST translation. Now that School Days has got a western release, we may be seeing a patch for it sometime in the future, who knows? It certainly seems to be a popular rumor, and surely the customers can't expect a half-assed version of the game.
Mysterious Stranger

Right, I finished YMK a week or two ago, thought I'd post some thoughts here.

In all honesty the Kirimiya arc was the only one I really enjoyed. It was short, sweet and fun, and I liked it quite a bit. The Nekoko arc was alright. Though, here's hilariously supreme irony of YMK: the story that's all about drug abuse (i.e. Nekoko's) is the least surreal out of all three. Despite that, Nekoko had a decent ending, so I can't say I hated it. The Shiraki arc, though... oh boy, I'm fairly certain I loathed that one. Absolutely tedious up until a certain point, at which it just went insane, to a not-at-all-enjoyable degree. Seriously, one of the most ridiculous climaxes I've seen in quite some time. Ridiculous.

Overall, I thought it was decent enough. The sheer number of H-scenes was a consistent nuisance, though, and with the possible exception of the Kirimiya arc, I don't think it really covers its three "issues" nearly as well as KS did.
Spamamdorf

Post by Spamamdorf »

Well Ever 17's already there but the rest of the infinity series is good to, as is 999, beyond that I haven't really played a whole lot more beyond this, those and FSN which is in the OP too, alas I tried
Route preference:
Kenji>Shizune>Rin>Lilly>>Hanako>>>>Emi
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Kanon: You never get tired of it. One of the best VNs you'll ever find.
Clannad: From the same company as Kanon. The stories are longer, but I still prefer Kanon. It's still a very good VN, though.
Narcissu: I haven't read/played it yet but I heard that it's very good. There is an English version available.
Scarred: It's still a beta version, and I don't expect it to be finished, but damn it's good! Made me cry a lot. :cry: I would describe it as sad, with a touch of hope.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Nobody in Particular

Mysterious Stranger wrote: In all honesty the Kirimiya arc was the only one I really enjoyed. It was short, sweet and fun, and I liked it quite a bit. The Nekoko arc was alright. Though, here's hilariously supreme irony of YMK: the story that's all about drug abuse (i.e. Nekoko's) is the least surreal out of all three. Despite that, Nekoko had a decent ending, so I can't say I hated it. The Shiraki arc, though... oh boy, I'm fairly certain I loathed that one. Absolutely tedious up until a certain point, at which it just went insane, to a not-at-all-enjoyable degree. Seriously, one of the most ridiculous climaxes I've seen in quite some time. Ridiculous.
I had to use VNDB to find out which characters you were talking about, since I only ever hear people call them Mizuki and Aeka. Personally I had the exact opposite opinion in routes then you, although judging by the opinions I have seen it generally comes down to how much the player relates to them. Despite all the routes having being incredibly ridiculous at times, it still has many realistic elements within it. And yes, the Aeka climax was incredibly over the top and pretty damn stupid. How no one got arrested in that route was just bizarre.
Mysterious Stranger wrote:Overall, I thought it was decent enough. The sheer number of H-scenes was a consistent nuisance, though, and with the possible exception of the Kirimiya arc, I don't think it really covers its three "issues" nearly as well as KS did.
There are much better VNs out there then YMK however, and out of all of the popular non-nukiges it's probably the only VN with a ridiculously high amount of H scenes. The reason it is generally compared to KS is because of those realistic elements which is a surprisingly rare feat in most VNs.

Not sure whether you are still interested in School Days HQ, but I finished it not that long ago (although I didn't complete all the endings, there were too many) and confirm that you could do a hell of a lot better. It's probably the one VN that's more realistic than KS and YMK, but it has a huge amount of bugs and the stupidest set of characters around that they actually make Shirogane Takeru and Luka (from ML and MGQ respectively) look like geniuses, and that it a pretty impressive achievement. It's kinda like the VN form of a soap opera, so if you like those kind of things you may enjoy it and I personally thought it was slightly underrated, but it's still a mediocre VN at best.
OtakuNinja wrote:Clannad: From the same company as Kanon. The stories are longer, but I still prefer Kanon. It's still a very good VN, though.
How long is Clannad anyway? I've heard some people say it can take 80-100 hours to complete everything in it, but I have a feeling that they may be exaggerating a little. My experience in the 50+ hours VNs are limited as I have only played one so far, so I have no idea what the norm for them are.