Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura »

Erenussocrates wrote:
Aura wrote:As you can see from the linked post, I think fans are both great and weird.
Come on Aura-chan, you are just shy :3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am really curious about who wrote Kenji's text.
Everyone, but like with some other characters one writer (A22 in this case) contributed more than most, and edited some of others' writing.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

WorldlyWiseman wrote:Aura, Is there any background info that you established for Sae and Nomiya that didn't make it into the final game? They seem like they've led interesting lives.
Yes, though not really in a coherent "biography" way, and not really significant amounts. It's just some notes I made for myself while writing, and probably won't make public.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Hi! wrote:First, can I say Katawa Shoujo is an absolutely wonderful game, which I enjoyed immensely.

I did have a lot of questions, but they seem to be mostly answered over the previous 130 pages, but one thing did seem to be skirted around and not asked directly:

Legally speaking, given Hanakos mental problems, can she actually consent to sex?
Yes she can consent.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Aura wrote:I can see the "feels" coming from the romantic pathos that's all over the game, but there is absolutely nothing in KS that should inspire one get their shit together, start working out, get better grades or what have you. It was really unexpected. As I said I don't really know what to think about all this, but drawing a reaction from the reader is one of the core goals of a writer, so I am satisfied.

To be honest, I don't think that's it. It's easy to identify with the characters and like them within the context of the game, but I doubt many actually "Fell in love," so to speak. I can only speak for myself, of course, but the reason I am so heavily driven to self-improvement (Exercise, reading, learning sign language, hanging out with friends more) is that this game made me see what I could be. It's really the kind of game that grabs you by the face and forces you to stare into the mirror. The kind of game where you'll sit up for hours in quiet introspection. That's really what it means to me.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

To answer the couple of Hanako questions that have popped up:

- Hanako and Lilly (at least in my mind) have known each other since the beginning of High School (using the American definition here) so that is about 3 years.

- As for Hanako consenting to sex, I think the guy who stated that people with low-functioning mental disorders can't consent to sex has hit the nail on the head. Most laws have to pass the "reasonable person" test, in that a reasonable person would think the same way as a judge overseeing the case. No matter how you look at it, Hanako is certainly someone who is able to make decisions for herself. She lives (practically) alone, feeds herself, and decides how to live her days. This means that, even though she is socially awkward, she can still consent to sex. Besides, she offered; Hisao didn't play on her condition to manipulate her into sleeping with him. It's the same as an insecure person (of either sex) hitting a bunch of pubs and sleeping with anyone they can. Sure, it's not exactly socially acceptable, but it's certainly legal.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Hi!

Post by Hi! »

Thanks for the answer to my Hanako question, I wasn't trying to insinuate anything, but the writer (and the artist of the picture where Hanako receives her presents) seem to make her behaviour rather extreme, so I cant really grasp whats going on inside her head.

Thanks again, and one other question:

Hypothetically, if you did do a Misha route, would you give her a disability, or just give her the same reasons for going to Yamaku as before (given that the game is specifically about dating girls with disabilities), and if you did give her one, would you give her a cock? 'w'
Out-All Knight

Post by Out-All Knight »

Aura wrote:
Out-All Knight wrote:How's your standing with your game's fans?
As you can see from the linked post, I think fans are both great and weird.
Man, Thanks for the answer.

I asked that question after I read the "Why the fandom can't have nice things" Trope and I thought some asshole may ruin these great Q&A topics. :(
random

Post by random »

yeah, I don't know why you would think Hanako is not capable of consenting to sex

1) you think PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) would prevent it? if so, Emi is in the same boat

2) her introverted personality and extreme shyness?

or most likely, you think those 2 points are signs of a mental disorder and that her brain is that of a toddler maybe? well, you have to remember that she is at a high school that caters to the disabled, but education-wise, is just like any other high school. that means, if she is mentally handicapped, she wouldn't be able to attend in the first place
diosisback

Post by diosisback »

If you could go back in time and change one thing in the game, what would it be?
Currently teaching Lilly to speak proper spanish...
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

random wrote: or most likely, you think those 2 points are signs of a mental disorder and that her brain is that of a toddler maybe? well, you have to remember that she is at a high school that caters to the disabled, but education-wise, is just like any other high school. that means, if she is mentally handicapped, she wouldn't be able to attend in the first place
Well, in this particular matter, Kenji suddenly flashed to my mind in a horrific manner. But I think your point is quite plausible anyway.
Tununias

Post by Tununias »

If you had hired voice actors, would you have done it in English or in Japanese if it were just as easy for you to do it either way?

One of my hobbies is coloring anime style linearts. My avatar is the first lineart I've colored.
http://tununias.deviantart.com/
Waytfm

Post by Waytfm »

Ok, I have a few questions that I don't think have been asked, if I'm wrong though, just let me know.

Along the same lines of a question that was asked a few posts ago, what are your regrets about the game? I know a blog post said there were quite a few, but I don't recall any specific examples.

In direct opposition to that question, what parts do you think worked? If you could go back in time, what wouldn't you change, if there's even anything like that?

I'm working on a Visual Novel project of my own with a group of people. It's the same genre as KS. What advice could you give us?

Lastly, *cough cough* might you possibly be interested in working on the aforementioned project? *cough cough * (hopefully, it does indeed not hurt to ask...)
Con Amore: a musical Visual Novel set in Italy, currently in the works.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Pseudogenesis wrote:
Aura wrote:I can see the "feels" coming from the romantic pathos that's all over the game, but there is absolutely nothing in KS that should inspire one get their shit together, start working out, get better grades or what have you. It was really unexpected. As I said I don't really know what to think about all this, but drawing a reaction from the reader is one of the core goals of a writer, so I am satisfied.

To be honest, I don't think that's it. It's easy to identify with the characters and like them within the context of the game, but I doubt many actually "Fell in love," so to speak. I can only speak for myself, of course, but the reason I am so heavily driven to self-improvement (Exercise, reading, learning sign language, hanging out with friends more) is that this game made me see what I could be. It's really the kind of game that grabs you by the face and forces you to stare into the mirror. The kind of game where you'll sit up for hours in quiet introspection. That's really what it means to me.
Any reaction is legit and fine, and I'm not at all trying to dismiss anyone's experience.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Hi! wrote:Thanks for the answer to my Hanako question, I wasn't trying to insinuate anything, but the writer (and the artist of the picture where Hanako receives her presents) seem to make her behaviour rather extreme, so I cant really grasp whats going on inside her head.

Thanks again, and one other question:

Hypothetically, if you did do a Misha route, would you give her a disability, or just give her the same reasons for going to Yamaku as before (given that the game is specifically about dating girls with disabilities), and if you did give her one, would you give her a cock? 'w'
I don't think there would be a particular need to change Misha's character in that hypothetical situation.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

diosisback wrote:If you could go back in time and change one thing in the game, what would it be?
Dunno. I might nuke the epilogue from Lilly's path. The asymmetry it creates is annoying.