Why I like Shizune's route.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

themocaw

Why I like Shizune's route.

Post by themocaw »

So six months after the release of the game, after a conversation in an unnamed place regarding unmentioned events, I've finally figured out why I like Shizune's route, despite all of its glaring flaws.

It's normal.

There's no huge feels. No drama. No trauma. No one bleeds, no one burns, no one leaves forever or nearly dies. It's just. . . normal.

Shizune's route is the one where Hisao gets to have the most normal high school life. It's the one where his biggest concerns are that his best friends are fighting and his girlfriend's dad is kind of a dick. All he needs to do is not be an idiot and things will work out fine.

It's a breather. It's comfortable. It's simple, it's clean, and in the end, it was what I needed.
Myshina

Re: Why I like Shizune's route.

Post by Myshina »

Perhaps you like it because you can relate to it. Or perhaps you didn't like all the Drama and wanted safe and normal grounds and found Shizune's route to be it.

As for me, I prefeer a love story with twists and Spiced up Drama. It puts me in a situation I normaly wouldn't be in.

Anyway, to each his tastes. =D
Xanatos wrote: Whips, of course. :P I don't do that submissive shit!
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Myshina wrote:Perhaps you like it because you can relate to it. Or perhaps you didn't like all the Drama and wanted safe and normal grounds and found Shizune's route to be it.
You know, I think that's it. I think I've had enough of the dramatic romantic relationships because I've had one too many of them in real life.
Axelownz

Post by Axelownz »

I liked it for pretty much the same reason. It was my third play though though after Emi and Rin, and then after Shizune i did Hanako's and Lilly's. I really liked how it felt like a nice casual break from the MASSIVE feels i got from Rins (real life stuff was happening to me, amplified Rin feels to just horrible levels) and then once i got done with Shizune's i was ready for feels from Hanako's and Lilly's paths.

I really could not think of a better place to play Shizune's path than when i did....though i did get some feels from Misha near the end.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

themocaw wrote:So six months after the release of the game, after a conversation in an unnamed place regarding unmentioned events, I've finally figured out why I like Shizune's route, despite all of its glaring flaws.

It's normal.

There's no huge feels. No drama. No trauma. No one bleeds, no one burns, no one leaves forever or nearly dies. It's just. . . normal.

Shizune's route is the one where Hisao gets to have the most normal high school life. It's the one where his biggest concerns are that his best friends are fighting and his girlfriend's dad is kind of a dick. All he needs to do is not be an idiot and things will work out fine.

It's a breather. It's comfortable. It's simple, it's clean, and in the end, it was what I needed.
Y'know, I agree.

While I do wish there were a few more choices to make along the way, Shizune's route ends up feeling the most 'normal'. The other tales tend to get caught up in drama - which there's good reason for - while the Shizune route focuses on observing and then trying to help with the drama. Misha's troubles don't directly impact Hisao, and he ends up being more like a mediator between her and Shizune. It's kind of sweet, really. He's just trying to help his friends get along. I think everyone finds themselves in that situation every so often.

I think there were points in the story that had drama, of course. Jigoro's talks are of particular interest. I wish they went somewhere more, but it does seem like old news; Hisao just accepts that Shizune has gotten over the fact that her father's a bit of a jackass. The tension between Misha and Shizune is palpable enough to keep you interested. You find yourself hoping they work things out, even if you really don't end up having much control over the situation.
Myshina

Post by Myshina »

themocaw wrote:
Myshina wrote:Perhaps you like it because you can relate to it. Or perhaps you didn't like all the Drama and wanted safe and normal grounds and found Shizune's route to be it.
You know, I think that's it. I think I've had enough of the dramatic romantic relationships because I've had one too many of them in real life.
According to what you're saying, I guess Shizune's route appears to you as a manifestation of your desires. You have confessed that you've had too many Dramatic relationships, so you are seeking a perfectly simple one and Shizune's route seems like the kind of Relationship you would want in real life.

I hope this makes sense; most of what I say doesn't. =D
Xanatos wrote: Whips, of course. :P I don't do that submissive shit!
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Myshina wrote:
themocaw wrote:
According to what you're saying, I guess Shizune's route appears to you as a manifestation of your desires. You have confessed that you've had too many Dramatic relationships, so you are seeking a perfectly simple one and Shizune's route seems like the kind of Relationship you would want in real life.

I hope this makes sense; most of what I say doesn't. =D
Pretty much.
Genocya

Post by Genocya »

I kinda disagree. I think. Maybe.

I thought Emi's route was the most normal, and Shizune's to be a bit crazier. It might not have had some of the big, say "wheat-field" moments, but I always thought that route had a hell of an aftertaste. Thinking about how lonely both of those characters were kinda hit me in the gut pretty hard. Coupled with the whole thing on the roof in Act 1 (despite the whole, "Bring it, bitch," pose) plus Hisao's career choice in the good ending made it my favorite.

Idk, my two cents.

Good to meet other Shizune fans tho :D
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

I agree with this, partly from my own experiences with drama filled relationships, and because I don't really like unnecessary tension and such. Her route seemed to be the most plausible, even with the somewhat bittersweet ending.
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Shizune was my second favorite route because she is the hottest of the girls, and because Hisao was the most stable and assertive in her route. Also you got the 2 for 1 deal depending on how you play it :)
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

o me,it just seems like they skipped straight past the whole "falling in love" part. Just all of a sudden *bam* they're an old couple that feels like it's been together a long time.

To me, that seemed less realistic than any of the other routes.

But, ya know, to each his own.
Not Dead Yet
Kayo12

Post by Kayo12 »

I know exactly what you're saying. While I couldn't relate, Shizune's route does seem to have the 'high school relationship' down pat, like Emi's route does as well.
I simply preferred the way Emi's route went about it.
I have to say, I would have liked Hisao and Shizune to at least go out on a date at least once, though.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Kayo12 wrote:I know exactly what you're saying. While I couldn't relate, Shizune's route does seem to have the 'high school relationship' down pat, like Emi's route does as well.
I simply preferred the way Emi's route went about it.
I have to say, I would have liked Hisao and Shizune to at least go out on a date at least once, though.
In a way, they're basically joined at the hip. They work together all the time after class, and they do spend time together when they can get away from Misha - or when Misha is avoiding them. I thought that seemed a little more realistic, too... like a relationship with someone at work. One of the reasons those can tend to fall apart is because you end up together so much you run out of things to say. In their case, the work becomes like a game for both of them, and it never gets old.That's probably why they kinda start acting like an old married couple so quickly - prolonged exposure.

Every relationship has its quirks.
ProfAllister

Post by ProfAllister »

Well, I found myself solidly on Team Misha, even without trying, so that colored my impression.

First time through, I'm still not sure what I think. It felt like Shizune hadn't really LEARNED anything by the end. It felt like the biggest concession was "Yeah, I can be a bit bitchy, but everything worked out in the end." Reflecting, though, I almost wonder if my dislike for her was because Shizune can be a bit too much like myself. Even from the first time I started reflecting on the issue, I realized that I was missing something. So I'm playing through again. This time taking notes.

Also, for obvious reasons, anyone on Team Misha can't help but owe something to the Shizune route.
Current Project: Misha Pseudo-Route

Discord ID: ProfAllister#9754
Discord server
Out-All Knight

Post by Out-All Knight »

Same here, Its definitely one of the down-to-earth (Got that right? Right?) routes aside from Emi's route.
Although I'm in Miss Lily's camp, I consider her one of the friends you should be treasuring and she just needs to be a bit more understanding towards others in my opinion. In fact, Her theme is about friendship right?

and the only thing that could screw that up is by choosing a certain option that would make you a cold-hearted asshole.