ShadeHaven

Re: Does KS really cause Manly Tears

Post by ShadeHaven »

ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Guest wrote:No. Men just sweat through their eyes. :roll:

(Hanako's good end)
I'm not crying....I-I'm just....y'know...I've been...*sniff*...working...out....*sniff*...a lot.
I'll be sure to make that excuse when I do cry at something. This made me laugh mate. :D
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

My friend cried manly tears today; it was okay though he got hit by a ball in the balls by one of our first fifteens from 2 metres away. There is no shame in mourning for the loss of your unborn child
$50 says I live more South than all of you
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

Guest wrote:I cried at least once in every route but Shizune's, and Rin's got me several times.
I thought I was going to get through Shizune's path without tearing up, but then I got to Misha's revelation on the roof and that hit me pretty hard. That one was a mixture of sympathy and sadness at seeing her so thoroughly defeated.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

Hanako's good ending made me shed ONE man tear. That's it. It was a touching ending in which the girl finally starts a normal life and face her fears, thus made me shed that one tear, I will admit.

The two other only games that made me shed one man tear is Ryu's ending from the original Street Fighter 2 games and Big Boss and Solid Snake's reunion at The Boss's grave in which Solid Snake forgives his father and Big Boss tells Snake that he is a free man and that he earned his freedom.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

I really do envy those who cried. My first playthrough was Hanako's route, and I shed not a single tear. I feel like this game has influenced me more than any other form of media I've ever experienced, and yet it couldn't bring me to cry. I feel like a jaded prick now. (Not really, but the feels would've been so much better.)
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Pseudogenesis wrote:I really do envy those who cried. My first playthrough was Hanako's route, and I shed not a single tear. I feel like this game has influenced me more than any other form of media I've ever experienced, and yet it couldn't bring me to cry. I feel like a jaded prick now. (Not really, but the feels would've been so much better.)
Don't feel bad. Not everyone cries at the same things, nor is crying even an indication of the same kinds of emotions. The kind of emotion that a lot of people associate with crying, when I find it in myself, is more of a sinking feeling between my chest and stomach. I felt that plenty of times during KS.

My crying post above was obviously a joke.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

WorldlyWiseman wrote:
Pseudogenesis wrote:I really do envy those who cried. My first playthrough was Hanako's route, and I shed not a single tear. I feel like this game has influenced me more than any other form of media I've ever experienced, and yet it couldn't bring me to cry. I feel like a jaded prick now. (Not really, but the feels would've been so much better.)
Don't feel bad. Not everyone cries at the same things, nor is crying even an indication of the same kinds of emotions. The kind of emotion that a lot of people associate with crying, when I find it in myself, is more of a sinking feeling between my chest and stomach. I felt that plenty of times during KS.

My crying post above was obviously a joke.

Nah, trust me, I'm not beating myself up. I just think it would've improved the experience. I'll only be moved to cry by something that resonates personally with me. (Take for example that the last time I was moved to misty eyes was when the father finally showed up to watch Homer launch his final rocket in October Sky.) I just feel like it could've improved the experience to get some emotional release, but I'm quite capable of feeling powerful emotions without tears, apparently.
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

It might also depend on your definition of crying.

Crying can be straight-up bawling; reddened face streamed with tears that haphazardly fall wherever you've stuffed your head into to hide, shoulders shaking, whimpering and sniffling with abandon. It could also just be sitting there with an awestruck expression and a gentle mist forming in the wells of your eyes - maybe a single tear cascading down your cheek to signify whatever you've just seen had a profound impact on you emotionally.

The first one is probably uncommon. It fits with something like a funeral, or something equally tragic, more than it might result from piece of fiction. It would have to be particularly reminiscent of your own experience to have that much effect on the average person. The second form, however, is the kind of 'crying' people usually lie about because it's something you can easily pass off as 'having something in your eye', or some other such nonsense.

If you really sat completely stone-faced through every bit of KS, though, I don't know what to say. I can only think you didn't understand what was going on in the story, or you have no frame of reference to relate to the characters' struggles.

I wouldn't hold it against you, though.
semy32

Post by semy32 »

My eyes were a little wet from some paths. It wouldn't call it crying.

However, I felt a lot of sadness. (Not sure if sadness is the right word for this)

I felt like there were a thousand needles/a spiky ball in my throat painfully moving around. It makes me want to put my hand down my throat and rip it out.
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

no i never shed a tear ... but shizune's path hit me hard ( well i should say i never noticed a tear .. there could have been some )
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Helbereth wrote: If you really sat completely stone-faced through every bit of KS, though, I don't know what to say. I can only think you didn't understand what was going on in the story, or you have no frame of reference to relate to the characters' struggles.

I wouldn't hold it against you, though.

I understood everything, and empathized deeply with Hanako. And yet I was stone-faced throughout, for the most part. The only exception was probably smiling at a few of the jokes. Either I'm just jaded and have formed a thick skin around my heart, or I just don't tear up easily in response to strong emotion. I didn't feel the urge to cry when I'd heard that my grandfather, who I had barely known, had died as a result of a massive heart attack, until my grandmother on the other side of the family said "He lived a good life." Then the tears started rolling a bit. It's not that I was in denial at all. It's just that certain things resonate with me more than others. It's odd.

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

So what are "manly tears" supposed to be in the first place?
Are some tears more manly than others?
Is the opposite "womanly tears"?

Tbh I think the concept of "manly tears" is kind of ridiculous.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Mirage_GSM wrote:So what are "manly tears" supposed to be in the first place?
Are some tears more manly than others?
Is the opposite "womanly tears"?

Tbh I think the concept of "manly tears" is kind of ridiculous.
I take it as a joke that downplays the soft perception related to tears and how that contradicts the feel' resistant heart of the prideful Man. In the end, tears are tears.
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

Ofcourse it does. Manly tears have been shed.