The "feels" bazaar.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ArazelEternal

Re: Depressed

Post by ArazelEternal »

Those feelings come, however they will pass in time. Dont let it stop you from completeing and then replaying the game. I have myself now played Lillys path 4 times on its own. Then 3 times for Hanako, 3 times for Emi, 3 Shizune and 2 Rin. Each time you play it the emotional impact will be less and less, so it gets easier. Sometimes if you with to relive the magic of the first playthrough again, what you need to do is drop the game for a while, let the thoughts of it subside and forget what happened in it, and the next time you play through it will feel new and fresh again.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
Zerero

Post by Zerero »

Finished Shizune's path (and my first ever playthrough) very recently, and I feel the exact same way. Sad. Longing. Wishing that the story continued, and never ended.

I've always been pretty damn emotional when it came to these things, but this game hit me hard. I thoroughly enjoyed it, obviously. The characters, plot, story... Wasn't ready for it to end.
Favorite girl: Lilly

Great game, too many feels.

Lilly>Hanako=Emi>Shizune>Rin
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

To the OP .... this is not the end ... try other VN's ... watch animes and such

god we are turning into final fantasy 7 fanboys / girls here ... there is life after KS ( believe it or not )

Post by Guest »

Can someone recommend a good VN? Anime? Anything to take my mind off this? Hanako's path was the first one I finished, and it impacted me really hard for some reason (I got her "good" ending). Even though that was like three days ago I still feel so damn depressed every time I think about it, which is very, very often.
Sin of my sins

Post by Sin of my sins »

Guest wrote:Can someone recommend a good VN? Anime?
Umineko no Naku koro ni. The visual novel is great, I always find myself lost in thoughts, brainstorming for possible outcomes and secret agendas when playing it. Long story short, a very rich, decrepit, old man holds a family conference in a private and isolated island concerning his last will and testament. However, things quickly take a sudden chance of wind as inhuman events begin to occur, claimed to have done by the magic of a witch. The main character goes out of his way to prove witches don't exist, and ends up in a game of wits with the person.

The series also has an anime adaptation, with some pretty tight soundtrack and intense scenes. However, the anime is really vague compared to the visual novel and doesn't really plunge you with it quite as much the VN does. Plus only half of the series has been aired.

Overall great visual novel, if you're the observant type.
Zerero

Post by Zerero »

Guest wrote:Can someone recommend a good VN? Anime? Anything to take my mind off this? Hanako's path was the first one I finished, and it impacted me really hard for some reason (I got her "good" ending). Even though that was like three days ago I still feel so damn depressed every time I think about it, which is very, very often.
You might want to refer to this thread:

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3178&start=332

Btw, just finished Emi's path. Going strong.
Favorite girl: Lilly

Great game, too many feels.

Lilly>Hanako=Emi>Shizune>Rin
Pseudogenesis

How this game made me feel.

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Hanako was my first (And so far only) playthrough. During Act 1, I was debating whether to lean towards Rin or Hanako, as both represent large facets of my own personality, and therefore something I empathized with. (Deadpan humour/spells of deep thought and deeply rooted shyness.) But as I continued playing I found myself naturally drifting more toward Hanako, and -- almost to my surprise -- I was quickly shown the Hanako intro video at the end of Act 1. The story was beautiful and deeply moving, and although I didn't cry at the ending as I had expected to I experienced the strongest emotions that my jaded psyche has seen in a long time. Maybe I'm unsatisfied with the ending because it was abrupt and leaves me wanting more, but it was so worth it to finish regardless. Now I'm left at a bit of an impasse. I truly want to play the game more, because I feel like I haven't had enough of it, but at the same time I feel a lingering attachment to Hanako, as a character. It doesn't feel right to pursue another storyline right away, although I know I will eventually. Probably Rin next, and then Lilly last, because those are the only 2 other characters that I have any kind of attachment to.

I also have another problem. I have no problem playing the game, or immersing myself in things related to it, like posting on this forum. But whenever I'm doing something else, and think about Katawa Shoujo, I get the strangest pang in my chest. It isn't disgust at having such strong feelings for people who I know aren't real, it isn't anxiety or fear or anything rational. It almost feels like depression. I've gone through periods of extended depression before, and I recognize the feeling. But I can't for the life of me figure out why. I loved the game. I'd love thinking about it, if it wasn't for this.

Regardless, the game/visual novel was perfection. I can't think of any form of media that has influenced me more in such a short amount of time, and I find that when I compare it to other things that I've been emotionally invested in in the past, they pale in comparison.

I know it's just another drop in the sea, but thank you. More thanks that I can convey for this masterpiece.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Tenteke

Re: What do you do to feel better after a night of the feels

Post by Tenteke »

I listen to Subterranean Homesick Alien by Radiohead while looking at the stars.It's incredibly relaxing.
Hope is not dead yet, so we'll forever scream until it's deafening. Jessie Barnett
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not. Kurt Cobain
We are given too much room to be expected to do only good. We are more curious than bold. Keith Buckley
Breaker deGodot

Post by Breaker deGodot »

Tenteke wrote:I listen to Subterranean Homesick Alien by Radiohead while looking at the stars.It's incredibly relaxing.
Replace that song with "The Tourist", also by Radiohead, and you have me in a nutshell. That song is tremendously cathartic, yet somehow relaxing.
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion."
-Francis Bacon
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

I pick out points from the stories -including fanfics- and try to interpret them artistically. I've also taken to writing fan-fiction - which I've never actually done prior to a few days ago.

I also delved deep into my past and decided to publicly write out a brief history of my life as a form of catharsis. It's around here somewhere.

As for personally, I've been dipping back into WoW to pass some time after reading a bit more. Most of my time lately has been spent reading the forums here and writing or drawing, though. In a way, I've been more creatively productive since reading KS than I have been for 3 years - which is probably a good thing.
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Last night, I finished my first playthrough, the Hanako storyline. In chronological order: I went for a midnight walk, laid in the lawn and stared at the stars for a good half hour philosophizin', drained about a quart of soymilk while listening to the album "And the BLTs" by Craig D'Andrea (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slgdbHowNb0 Recommended sample), then spent a good five hours in the insomnia that I've found accompanies playing Katawa Shoujo. Can't say I can complain about the insomnia though, because it's only caused by an active brain. I go on thinking spells when I play things like this, and KS is enough to deprive me of sleep with drug store philosophy well until sunset.
Last edited by Pseudogenesis on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

Good question. How have I spent the last few weeks...?

Writing and drawing a KS doujinshi.
Lurking around this forum.
Going running.
Reflecting on my own life and thinking of ways I should try to improve myself and my relationships with the other people I care about.

Now that I'm able to do things other than thinking about KS 100% of the time (it's down to about 50% now), I also:

Play other VNs I've discovered.
Play Halo: Reach or Skyrim on the XBox.
Work on a roleplaying adventure to run with my friends.
Work on a VN project with my friend.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

I only really had one night of feels. Fortunately, over the years my wife and I have both gotten very good at the whole "someone to hold onto until the storm passes" thing.

After that I made an appointment with a psychologist. I had needed to do this for a long time anyway; KS just gave me the swift kick in the butt I needed to actually go and do it.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
lightvision7

Post by lightvision7 »

I went to the Gym and thought of Emi the whole time,i pushed my self really hard since then because she always there in the back of my head saying "You can do it". And i also think of Emi at her Emi-est
Synthus

Post by Synthus »

Listen to Yann Tiersen, Ray Lamontagne, Alexi Murdoch for even more feels.

Start trying to get pumped by viewing inspirational videos or epic music. Two Steps From Hell, boxing and fitness related crap, etc. End up not doing anything.

Fap myself into unconsciousness to Met-Art.