rin inspired sleeping/relaxing

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Megumeru

Re: rin inspired sleeping/relaxing

Post by Megumeru »

ZXRN wrote:I can only suggest a few things. 1 is megumeru's tip about staring at the clouds...yes, it will clear your mind. 2. close your eyes for a like 5 seconds when feeling a little bit stressed. (something I got from Rin) 3. Always get some sleep. Even in the busiest moment in my thesis at college, I gotta have at least an hour to sleep. Just to keep goin' later on.

Dunno much about energy drinks. But I guess it can't be that bad if you drink it..once a day probably?
I find energy drinks to be...'lethal', more or less. There's no better word for it but 'lethal'.

It's like coffee or tea, but it's more potent as it pumps your heart--it also holds more calories too. Not a good way to start a run drinking one OR ending one with it; kills you with fatigue almost in a snap. The best way to relax--i believe--is to lay down in a couch (or a bed), turn on the tape, and listen to some of your favorite tunes to clear your mind. Another way is to take a short nap or just sleep.

Video games works too, but once you're carried away with it it's like crack all over and you're not relaxing anymore.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
nemz

Post by nemz »

Megumeru wrote:It's like coffee or tea, but it's more potent as it pumps your heart--it also holds more calories too.
Monster Rehab is like drinking about 2 regular cups of coffee or one tall order, only has 10 calories, and comes in several flavors including multiple varieties of tea. That's good stuff.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

nemz wrote:
Megumeru wrote:It's like coffee or tea, but it's more potent as it pumps your heart--it also holds more calories too.
Monster Rehab is like drinking about 2 regular cups of coffee or one tall order, only has 10 calories, and comes in several flavors including multiple varieties of tea. That's good stuff.
The thing with stimulants like caffeine is that, physiologically, they don't give you more than you already have. Maybe the first time, you'll get actual energy out of it as your body is adjusting to the increase in chemicals. However, over time, your body learns from your behavior and will produce less of its own stimulants in expectation of the supplement.

When that happens, your body is basically producing less overall 'energy', relying on the stimulants to keep that energy peaked.

If you then stop using that stimulant, you will feel like you have less energy than normal, but it's only because your body is expecting the stimulant to supplement your energy. That's why people who drink coffee all the time are so withdrawn when they miss a day.

It's similar to smoking cigarettes. The first few times, you'll probably get a high from it, but as your system adjusts to depend on the nicotine, which is another stimulant, all it really does is bring you back up to normal - that's one of the reasons it's so difficult to quit. Coffee withdrawal and nicotine withdrawal are very similar.

Also, I should mention that frequent over-stimulation through energy supplements can cause worse problems. Getting coffee jitters is bad enough as it can disrupt your concentration, make you sleepless and other annoyances, but it can also tax your endocrine system, kidneys, liver, etc.. You can overdose on caffeine like any other drug.

I, personally, happen to like coffee as a tasty beverage, but I don't rely on it to keep me awake - or wake me up, as it were. I usually only have a cup or two a few times a week.
Xerxes

Post by Xerxes »

Anything in excess is bad, even water.
DrNonookee

I can quit any time I want...

Post by DrNonookee »

Video games works too, but once you're carried away with it it's like crack all over and you're not relaxing anymore.
I beg to differ. ;) It depends on what you're playing, honestly. Sure, a game like Bulletstorm or Lollipop Chainsaw is bound to get your blood pumping and your adrenaline flowing, but there are plenty of other games out there that can do the exact opposite - give you a soothing 'cooldown' experience.

One of my personal favorites is Steambot Chronicles, which even the game's title screen describes as "a relaxing, non-linear adventure". ;) It takes place in what amounts to a steampunk world without the 'punk' part, and between the relatively easy combat, tremendous array of minigames (including musical rhythm games set to a general blues/jazz style), and dozens of NPCs to meet and interact with, it's more focused on players experiencing the game world at a leisurly pace than providing them with white-knuckle thrills to keep you awake at night. It's my go-to game for when I'm feeling overly stressed or bummed; it gives me a nice, mellow experience to get me back in my groove, and it never fails to put a smile on my face in the process. :D

Well, except for the good ending. Seriously, don't watch the ending unless you want KS-level, crying-like-a-baby feels.

Part of me also wants to recommend the Harvest Moon games - a series where you play as a simple country farmer trying to make a living off the land and find love along the way.

...except that a different part of me knows from experience that trying to cram as many chores, NPC interactions, and events into the span of any given day, coupled with an ever-present "just one more day!" urge gradually creeping into the back of your mind, means that it really *is* more like crack. :shock: You'd do better to just go play Heroin Hero.
Now playing: Final Fantasy 14
Charlotte Donnay - Hyperion server. Look me up sometime!
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Megumeru wrote:
ZXRN wrote:I can only suggest a few things. 1 is megumeru's tip about staring at the clouds...yes, it will clear your mind. 2. close your eyes for a like 5 seconds when feeling a little bit stressed. (something I got from Rin) 3. Always get some sleep. Even in the busiest moment in my thesis at college, I gotta have at least an hour to sleep. Just to keep goin' later on.

Dunno much about energy drinks. But I guess it can't be that bad if you drink it..once a day probably?
I find energy drinks to be...'lethal', more or less. There's no better word for it but 'lethal'.

It's like coffee or tea, but it's more potent as it pumps your heart--it also holds more calories too. Not a good way to start a run drinking one OR ending one with it; kills you with fatigue almost in a snap. The best way to relax--i believe--is to lay down in a couch (or a bed), turn on the tape, and listen to some of your favorite tunes to clear your mind. Another way is to take a short nap or just sleep.

Completely agreed. I did that once with GTA4...said to myself just gonna relax a little and play a game. I ended up more tired than I thought I would be. Sleep is still the best no friggin' doubt.

@Dr. nonookee: That's true as well, but for some gamers, sometimes even the simplest of games gets kinda addicting. Harvest Moon is one good example. Played it in my psp, got so addicted in makin' people happy and getting rich that I barely moved in that really comfy chair that day. (and we were on a hotel too...what a way to waste a family vacation...)
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

I wouldn't recommend Harvest Moon. You'll be constantly planning your fields, your animals, and when you stop (if you manage it!) and go to bed, you'll be thinking about it in bed and that will keep you awake.

EDIT: And now this thread has planted the seed, and I'm drinking red bull.
nemz

Post by nemz »

Helbereth wrote:I, personally, happen to like coffee as a tasty beverage, but I don't rely on it to keep me awake - or wake me up, as it were. I usually only have a cup or two a few times a week.
It's not like I'm advocating drinking the stuff all day long or even that it's relevant to OPs issue. I'm just pointing out that energy drinks are not all created equal.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
Surreal-mind

Post by Surreal-mind »

So... if "rin inspired sleeping/relaxing" and "Emi inspired running/workout "...

Then what's next ?

Lilly inspired drinking tea/wine ? :lol:
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Shizune-inspired gaming.
dwarduk

Post by dwarduk »

Kenji inspired manly activities? :lol:
Meiko will be my waifu. I swear it on my honour. </Zuko>
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

Kenji inspired getting drunk on the top of a building? No thanks :p I reduced drinking with friends ever since I got that ending, lol.
ArazelEternal

Post by ArazelEternal »

Energy drinks arent that bad. I dont have a problem with them. Most energy drinks have 80mg of caffeine per 8.4 oz serving. Ones like I drink which are Rockstar 2x have 250mg per 12oz serving. Sounds like a lot, but a 12oz cup of quality coffee from Gloria Jeans or Starbucks has 200mg of caffeine.

Up at 0730
Work at 0900
Lunch at 1200
Home at 1800
Dinner at 1900
Bed at 0000 - 0100

Thats my day. I have absolutely no issues getting 7.5 hours of sleep every night. Im just one of those who tolerate caffeine very well.

Lilly = Hanako, Emi, Rin, Shizune
I fell in love with Lilly and Hanako

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be your Emiest.
Total Destruction

Post by Total Destruction »

Surreal-mind wrote:So... if "rin inspired sleeping/relaxing" and "Emi inspired running/workout "...

Then what's next ?

Incidentally, it' been cold and rainy for the last few days, so I've done just that. Earl Grey in the morning, cabernet in the evening.

All of the day, bro.
... Danger.
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Surreal-mind wrote:So... if "rin inspired sleeping/relaxing" and "Emi inspired running/workout "...

Then what's next ?

themocaw wrote:Shizune-inspired gaming.
dwarduk wrote:Kenji inspired manly activities? :lol:
Yuuko-inspired bang-a-student thread

Mutou-inspired time-travel thread

But seriously, I considered a Lilly-inspired Culture/Reading Club thread. A Shizune-inspired STOP-PROCRASTINATING thread would't be entirely out of line.

metalangel wrote:I wouldn't recommend Harvest Moon. You'll be constantly planning your fields, your animals, and when you stop (if you manage it!) and go to bed, you'll be thinking about it in bed and that will keep you awake.
It might depend on how you approach games, but most likely they are as stimulating as watching a movie at least, or worse (you and I are probably in the worse category).
metalangel wrote: EDIT: And now this thread has planted the seed, and I'm drinking red bull.
NOOOOOOOOOOO!
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.