Hanako's burns

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

inquisitivenegro

Hanako's burns

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Stupid old me just realised something after whats about half a year lol.
Hanako's burns are described as severe, and indeed they cover nearly half her body. However as I saw it they didn't actually disfigure her face, only the skin-as in her eyes, nose, lips were intact and the correct shape.
Or is this something we are supposed to imagine our selves?

Urgh I feel bad because I only thought of this whilst trying to make a Hanako/no nose/Voldemort joke
$50 says I live more South than all of you
yummines

Re: Hanako's burns

Post by yummines »

im guessing because while KS is through and through a visual novel that is meant to give major feels, its also a Bishoujo game as well.

pretty sure Hanako looking like Harvey Dent is not what the artist was going for.

im guessing then we kind of have to imagine it then.
Snow_Storm

Post by Snow_Storm »

To be honest, if this game were to take a super realistic take on things...let's just say she'll would look like Kabal from Mortal Kombat. She would not be a looker.
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Well, the game notes that it is 1/3 to 1/2. We also know that she curled into a ball. Going into a fetal position will help protect the head, at the expense of the torso.

We also know that she is otherwise quite cute in the areas where she is not scarred, and that her hair cover the bulk of facial scarring (right cheeck, neck, and forehead). And that the extent of the scarring is meant to jolt someone but not (necessarily) horrify them.

So if your question is whether she is overall "supposed to be" cute or not, well the game does give you the option to answer that for yourself in act 1. This is definitley a case of YMMV since beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

On another note, that the brain is trained to seek out "differences", deviations from the norm. Seeing someone with a abnormality for the first time will certainly get your attention instinctively, as your brain tries to assimilate the new information. If you see that person over and over again however, then your brain becomes habituated with the abnormality and treats it as the "new normal". So if you have a good impression of Hanako, then she will "grow" on you and you will tend to tune out the scars. If your inclination is to not like her, then the scars will probably become the more dominate way in which you see and think of her.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
ok23

Post by ok23 »

because Katawa Shoujo made Hanako as moe as possible

real burn scars are (and I'm a big Hanako fan) not pretty at all
Eraser35

Post by Eraser35 »

since someone posted a picture of a dude the suffered sever burns when he was younger(dude's fingers were fused together hope someone knows what I'm talking about) I imagine Hanako's scaring would look like that
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

I don't personally find burn scars as repulsive as other people seem to. I still get a jolt if I see a really bad picture, though. I think we are unsettled by seeing things like that because it's a reminder that we are mortal and very easily damaged.

I think a real life Hanako would still be pretty, especially once you got used to seeing her.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Xerxes

Post by Xerxes »

ravenlord wrote:Well, the game notes that it is 1/3 to 1/2. We also know that she curled into a ball. Going into a fetal position will help protect the head, at the expense of the torso.
That's correct, and also Hanako's mother contributed to saving her from death and further damage at expense of her life, the mother took most of the flames. That's why I think she wouldn't look as deformed as, for example, Jacqueline Saburido.
Last edited by Xerxes on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

I think the context of this picture was someone showing how burn wounds and burn scars are different, but Anon picked up from it the fact that even these aren't terribly disfiguring.

Yes, I know, 3DPD and all, but the point was how this guy is still recognizably attractive to some no homo and can only get better.
1326750354784.jpg
1326750354784.jpg (44.93 KiB) Viewed 8131 times
Eraser35

Post by Eraser35 »

burn wounds look pretty damn bad
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Brogurt wrote:I think the context of this picture was someone showing how burn wounds and burn scars are different, but Anon picked up from it the fact that even these aren't terribly disfiguring.

Yes, I know, 3DPD and all, but the point was how this guy is still recognizably attractive to some no homo and can only get better.
1326750354784.jpg
Yeah thats an example of the wounds not affecting the actual facial features, like how Hanako is displayed in game; If you took photoshop you could quite possibly remove the burn scars and noone would know
$50 says I live more South than all of you
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Halie isn't a badly burned as the guy Brogurt posted a pic of, but her injuries are certainly noticable and yet she remains a rather cute girl whom I would have no objection to pursuing (based on the image alone, that is, seeing as I know nothing of personality).
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

As the posted image show, Hanako's particular burn scars would be realistic enough. The bullying because of them, even though she isn't severely disfigured and all in all is very pretty, is just as realistic, seen this is set in Japan where conformity is sometimes overvalued to the point of absurdity, especially amongst children.

A little anecdote to illustrate this: in most schools in Japan there are hot lunches, and if so, all children get them, even if the parents cannot pay for them. Why? It would lead to bullying if the school started to exclude children whose parents couldn't pay from the meals. To complicate things further, some parents abuse this situation to refuse to pay even if they can...
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Xerxes

Post by Xerxes »

And even in extreme cases, as the one of Jacqueline Saburido I mentioned, the burn victims nowadays can get reconstructive surgery to the extent that she, for example, got a new nose. Unlike Hanako, Jacqueline couldn't shield herself (being shielded by someone else) from the flames because the got trapped inside the car that crashed and began to burn.
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

ravenlord wrote:Well, the game notes that it is 1/3 to 1/2. We also know that she curled into a ball. Going into a fetal position will help protect the head, at the expense of the torso.

We also know that she is otherwise quite cute in the areas where she is not scarred, and that her hair cover the bulk of facial scarring (right cheeck, neck, and forehead). And that the extent of the scarring is meant to jolt someone but not (necessarily) horrify them.

So if your question is whether she is overall "supposed to be" cute or not, well the game does give you the option to answer that for yourself in act 1. This is definitley a case of YMMV since beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

On another note, that the brain is trained to seek out "differences", deviations from the norm. Seeing someone with a abnormality for the first time will certainly get your attention instinctively, as your brain tries to assimilate the new information. If you see that person over and over again however, then your brain becomes habituated with the abnormality and treats it as the "new normal". So if you have a good impression of Hanako, then she will "grow" on you and you will tend to tune out the scars. If your inclination is to not like her, then the scars will probably become the more dominate way in which you see and think of her.
I think this post right here made the most sense out of everything in my imagination of Hanako.
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.