Questions & Answers

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Caesius

Re: Questions & Answers

Post by Caesius »

SABAN wrote:Mods on /a/ and other boards always post as an average Anonymous to avoid attention and tripfriends post as Anonymous every now and then to do the same thing.
Not posting as a dev but as a different(regular) member or a guest can help avoid the "hijacking interesting discussion" thing while letting the devs to contribute as what other members think is just a regular member/guest's idea.
The reasons that I would've been interested in seeing the devs posting their opinions on the girls would've been to see what they intended for each of the girls and how that differed from how the fanbase saw them, as well as to see if the girls are as polarizing within the dev team as they are within the fanbase. Posting as anonymous would just make their post another opinion from a fan and cancel out any weight their opinion as a developer would have.

But I can see how they would be reluctant from posting their opinions apart from just "forum shyness;" whether it be potential spoilers about deeper layers of a girl's personality or the fanbase taking their opinion as fact.

Crud's first post in this thread, what's up with the typos? Actually, what's up with you usually making typos?
Just hope he doesn't develop a habit of consistently inserting typos into every other word just to piss off people who point out that he makes typos.

"im ownin u at ur game doinkman i can tell because im smarty"
SABAN

Post by SABAN »

Caesius wrote:The reasons that I would've been interested in seeing the devs posting their opinions on the girls would've been to see what they intended for each of the girls and how that differed from how the fanbase saw them, as well as to see if the girls are as polarizing within the dev team as they are within the fanbase. Posting as anonymous would just make their post another opinion from a fan and cancel out any weight their opinion as a developer would have.

But I can see how they would be reluctant from posting their opinions apart from just "forum shyness;" whether it be potential spoilers about deeper layers of a girl's personality or the fanbase taking their opinion as fact.
Being popular is so hard.
I wouldn't know.
Just hope he doesn't develop a habit of consistently inserting typos into every other word just to piss off people who point out that he makes typos.

"im ownin u at ur game doinkman i can tell because im smarty"
I wonder what Hisao would look like if he RAGE'd.
SatansBestBuddy

Post by SatansBestBuddy »

Aura wrote:
cpl_crud wrote: And the devs don't come here becuase we're all very new at this. The forums have gone from dead quiet to moderately active overnight.
I barely have enough time to read all of the threads, let alone answer many of them.
Maybe, yeah. We've talked about KS only between ourselves for two years, and now there are hundreds or thousands of other people talking about it. The contents of the conversations here are very different than what they are in developement channel and forums. Also, for me it's more interesting to see what other people come up with, as dev intervention has the tendency of hijacking any potentially interesting discussion.

Some threads work on the assumption that one doesn't know anything about the game beyond what's in Act 1, while others are pointless for the people making the game. And if I try to respond to feedback, I'd be doing nothing else but that, there is just so much of it. In other words, I'm unsure what to talk about on the public forums.
That's pretty much every reason I made this thread: a place where you can cherry pick questions you know you have an answer to without hijacking any discussions or spending all your time just answering questions. (this is working under the assumption that more than one dev would be answering questions, possibly even having questions directed to specific devs)

I was actually expecting a thread like this to have been up around the time the demo was released, and at the very least on the same site you're posting said demo. :roll:

Anyway, more questions! (to prod you all out of those shells)

Why did you make Misha a student, instead of, say, a teacher or helper, but instead a girl we all think we have a chance with? (it is sad, Micchan. ;_;)

Why was the game set in Japan, when you could have just as easily, if not more easily set it in America?

Where did the main characters heart condition arise from? Also, were any other ideas for why he's in this school discussed?

Did you ever think of having more characters show up, like those we catch a glimpse of in the classroom scene?

Will you add more stuff to Act 1 in the final release? (so all us rapid fans have a reason to comb through it again... like we need another reason :lol: )
Rule #1 of the Internet: It does not matter what you like, your reasons for liking it, and how much you like it, somebody out there hates you for liking it.
SABAN

Post by SABAN »

SatansBestBuddy wrote:Why was the game set in Japan, when you could have just as easily, if not more easily set it in America?
Because it's based on Raita, a Japanese doujinshi author? Because the idea came up in /a/, the board of the rising wapanese NEETs?
I'd hate to see a Viz Media version of KS, Hisao's name would be something like, Henry or Heston.
Where did the main characters heart condition arise from? Also, were any other ideas for why he's in this school discussed?
Genetically?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

SatansBestBuddy wrote:
Anyway, more questions! (to prod you all out of those shells)

Why did you make Misha a student, instead of, say, a teacher or helper, but instead a girl we all think we have a chance with? (it is sad, Micchan. ;_;)

Why was the game set in Japan, when you could have just as easily, if not more easily set it in America?

Did you ever think of having more characters show up, like those we catch a glimpse of in the classroom scene?

Will you add more stuff to Act 1 in the final release? (so all us rapid fans have a reason to comb through it again... like we need another reason :lol: )
Misha is student mainly because otherwise there would've been oddly few student characters in game. Hisao's disability was debated a lot back whenever, but heart condition always was the most popular option. There are characters in game that do not show up in Act 1, so I guess yes we did think of having more characters. Act 1 will change but not significantly.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

I suppose the reason I'm not going to bother with posting as anon are twofold:
1) I like to stand behind what I say. This has driven me to use the same outdated nick for over a decade.
2) I, like all of the devs, have seen the entire script (remembering that the first draft is finished).

#2 brings up a couple of interesting points. We all already know what happens to the girls, what type of ends they have, what sex they do/don't have and so on. To that end, we can't really get "in" to the whole sprit of speculation. Also, if it were ever exposed that I was a dev, then I've basically spoiled the game for you.

To answer the question about why I like Hanako, it's actually because way back when I thought she could be a good yandere. Turns out we didn't go down that road *cough* but by then she had grown on me. I do, however, see her more of a "child" of mine rather than a target of my affection, and I'm not sure how that has impacted her story.

I really like Rin and Shizune's paths.

I don't bother watching my typing when I'm in a hurry. Also it's become my "thing" so I don't bother correcting it unless I'm actually writing srs bsns.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Just thought up a question.

Is there any particular reason why you have Hanako reading "Life of Pi?" I've never heard of the book before.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Fatalis

Post by Fatalis »

Life of Pi is actually an award winning book, (A pretty good one too, I've read it, I kind of squeed :D when I saw that Hanako was reading it) I guess they just choose it randomly, or there could be some reason to it, I guess they put it because its a book which some people may have read, but isn't extremely well known. If a Dev has a better answer, go right ahead :)
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Fatalis wrote:Life of Pi is actually an award winning book, (A pretty good one too, I've read it, I kind of squeed :D when I saw that Hanako was reading it) I guess they just choose it randomly, or there could be some reason to it, I guess they put it because its a book which some people may have read, but isn't extremely well known. If a Dev has a better answer, go right ahead :)
Yeah, I looked it up on a few different websites. I think why I probably haven't heard of the book is because most of the awards that I see listed are from other countries than mine (UK, Canada, South Africa, France). It looks interesting from the reviews and I'm thinking of ordering a copy.
Last edited by Validus Razgriz on Fri May 15, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

It's a good book. Think Robinson Crusoe or Swiss Family Robinson only more geared toward young adults.
静音是买外夫
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Validus Razgriz wrote:Just thought up a question.

Is there any particular reason why you have Hanako reading "Life of Pi?" I've never heard of the book before.
I was looking for a book to recommend to people and it was the first one I saw on my bookshelf.

For those that are intersted I picked up Norwegian Wood tonight and will start that shortly.
If you come across that title in the full game you'll be able to pinpoint what I was reading as I was editing that scene. A mate put me onto Haruki Murakami after reading of my travel emails describing a ghost hotel I stayed in.

Oh, but if a Dev asks, tell them I'm reading Love Hina the novel or something. I have a reputation to maintain here...

------
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Akira

Post by Akira »

So are all the books Hisao was reading (when his inner monologue talks about what's in them, like the one he's reading when he's watching Rin painting) based on real ones you've read?
Got me curious about that now :? lol
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Titles of books, moives, songs etc in my path are usually the things that I am either reading at the time, or think that people should read/watch/listen to.

Apart from the original scene titles fo teh first draft of the Hanako path. They were mostly just whatever was playing in Winamp when I started the scene.

------
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Akira wrote:So are all the books Hisao was reading (when his inner monologue talks about what's in them, like the one he's reading when he's watching Rin painting) based on real ones you've read?
Got me curious about that now :? lol
That book is a real book, one that I've read, yes. I bet most writers have also read Trial and Alice in Wonderland (the other books Hisao mentions by name, that I recall offhand). Crud read the Wind-up Bird Chronicle after you're done with Norwegian Wood.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Yeah the mate that put me onto these said that too. I was acatually lookign for Kafuka on the Shore but my local bookshop (Borders) is overpriced and understocked.

My mate picked up After Dark and we'll swap at some point. He's going on exercise so it may be a month or two. Now that you've reminded me I'm going to Amazon and putting in a order. Cheaper to buy books from halfway around the world instead of up the street orz.

------