Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Megumeru

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Megumeru »

Aaah...Miyako...

Your grade-A perverted beauty.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Megumeru wrote:Aaah...Miyako...

Your grade-A perverted beauty.
It always cracks me up when she pops something like "Go out with me, Yamato" in at totally random situations. :lol:
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

BobBobberson wrote:OK, i need some advice on whether I should try Sengoku Rance. And no it's not for the sex scenes, I hear it has some kickass turn-based strategy game in it. Although it does fall under a VN too. ANyone here play it?
Yes. Do.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Surreal-mind

Post by Surreal-mind »

Fedora Spade
http://studioeres.com/games/fedora
It's a lot like Phoenix Wright, it even has the same humor style n' all.
It's pretty good, give it a try !

Missing
http://studioeres.com/games/missing
By the same guys who made fedora spade... I haven't played this one yet, but it's supposed to be pretty cool.
All I know is that it's more serious in tone.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

BobBobberson wrote:OK, i need some advice on whether I should try Sengoku Rance. And no it's not for the sex scenes, I hear it has some kickass turn-based strategy game in it. Although it does fall under a VN too. ANyone here play it?
PLAY IT.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Weirdly, it seems no one has recommended this so far. http://vndb.org/v5 I've been reading this intermittently this whole week. It's pretty fun. Has a good balance of comedy and drama, and apparently an overarching plotline which can be concluded once all the main routes are done.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

acewing905 wrote:Weirdly, it seems no one has recommended this so far. http://vndb.org/v5 I've been reading this intermittently this whole week. It's pretty fun. Has a good balance of comedy and drama, and apparently an overarching plotline which can be concluded once all the main routes are done.
Little Busters! by Key?

I have that in my 'list of VNs I should read before I die', but never get the chance--same reason as Majikoi.

download and torrent. >.>
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Megumeru wrote:
acewing905 wrote:Weirdly, it seems no one has recommended this so far. http://vndb.org/v5 I've been reading this intermittently this whole week. It's pretty fun. Has a good balance of comedy and drama, and apparently an overarching plotline which can be concluded once all the main routes are done.
Little Busters! by Key?

I have that in my 'list of VNs I should read before I die', but never get the chance--same reason as Majikoi.

download and torrent. >.>
I got both even though I have only a 512 kbps (maximum transfer rate around 55 to 60 kBps) ADSL line for internet.
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

I'd play this too if it weren't for the lack of a full translation, just like Majikoi. I've heard that EX really adds a lot more to the VN then just sex scenes and enhances the experiance of it greatly, so I'mma wait it out.

On an unrelated note, I would recommend Muv-Luv Extra to those looking for a comedy slice of life VN. I'm really surprised at how much I'm liking it considering the (undeserved) critiscism it gets. It's really damn funny at times although the characters are a bit disappointing in my opinion. Also I have no idea how they got away with that Livin La Vida Loco rip off BGM.

Dengeki Stryker translation coming out pretty soon too. Anyone gonna play it?
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Nobody in Particular wrote:Dengeki Stryker translation coming out pretty soon too. Anyone gonna play it?
I'm looking forward to that as a superhero fan.
Qhost

Post by Qhost »

Silentcook wrote:
Yes. Do.
Flawless gameplay. Storyline is absolutely amazing. The H-Scenes are merely "add-ons" to how good the storyline and gameplay of SR is. Go play.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
I'd play this too if it weren't for the lack of a full translation, just like Majikoi. I've heard that EX really adds a lot more to the VN then just sex scenes and enhances the experiance of it greatly, so I'mma wait it out.

On an unrelated note, I would recommend Muv-Luv Extra to those looking for a comedy slice of life VN. I'm really surprised at how much I'm liking it considering the (undeserved) critiscism it gets. It's really damn funny at times although the characters are a bit disappointing in my opinion. Also I have no idea how they got away with that Livin La Vida Loco rip off BGM.

Dengeki Stryker translation coming out pretty soon too. Anyone gonna play it?
But unlike Majikoi partial translation, LB is a full experience even without the EX content. And the game tells you to clear the game once before it opens up the new EX routes anyway, so you can go through the first playthrough now.

Oh, and if you're playing MuvLuv, don't stop at Extra. Finish Meiya's and Sumika's routes, and it'll unlock MuvLuv Unlimited. Then get MuvLuv Alternative (separate VN) which is the uber sequel to MuvLuv. Seriously, read all three. However, slice of life comedy will end with Unlimited, and a massive genre shift happens, so keep that in mind as well.
Qhost

Post by Qhost »

1. Monster Girl Quest 1
This is one of those RPG-eroge visual novels. Short summary: every monster you encounter attempts to rape you for your semen. Treat it as a joke if you may, but the storyline is probably one of the most advanced and engrossing ones in ANY eroge / VN.

2. Monster Girl Quest 2
The sequel to the eroge mentioned above. Storyline gets even more interesting; a must play.

3. Sengoku Rance
Too much to say about this one. Go play it - I guarantee you, it's not a waste of time.

4. Kira Kira
A visual-novel that certainly gives you goosebumps from time to time. The storyline is well written - at first it may seem rather lighthearted, but man, shit gets intense as the story progresses.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

3. Sengoku Rance
Too much to say about this one. Go play it - I guarantee you, it's not a waste of time.
Warning. Don't play if sensitive to rape. And even the first two, well, try and see, I guess.
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

acewing905 wrote: Oh, and if you're playing MuvLuv, don't stop at Extra. Finish Meiya's and Sumika's routes, and it'll unlock MuvLuv Unlimited. Then get MuvLuv Alternative (separate VN) which is the uber sequel to MuvLuv. Seriously, read all three. However, slice of life comedy will end with Unlimited, and a massive genre shift happens, so keep that in mind as well.
As I said earlier, that is what I am planning on doing once I finish Extra. I've already finished the Meiya and Sumika routes (and the joke Mikoto route if that classifies) and plan on doing all the Extra routes before moving onto Unlimited. Still for a comedy SoL Muv-Luv Extra is really enjoyable.
Qhost wrote: 4. Kira Kira
A visual-novel that certainly gives you goosebumps from time to time. The storyline is well written - at first it may seem rather lighthearted, but man, shit gets intense as the story progresses.
With the exception of one of the endings, Kira Kira never really gets serious. Even in the ending where it does go all srsbsns it still remains a comedy though, so for the most part it is just a light hearted comedy SoL VN.
Qhost wrote:1. Monster Girl Quest 1
This is one of those RPG-eroge visual novels. Short summary: every monster you encounter attempts to rape you for your semen. Treat it as a joke if you may, but the storyline is probably one of the most advanced and engrossing ones in ANY eroge / VN.
That sounds surprisingly entertaining but I can't tell whether you were being sarcastic or not with the storyline thing.

While on the subject of gameplay orientated VNs, can anyone recommend a good one for someone that has never played one before? I'm currently siding with Sengoku Rance since that seems to get a lot of praise everywhere.