Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

gRaViJa

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by gRaViJa »

Parks, streets without much traffic etc. are good too. I was scared of running on concrete too, but if you have good shoes, it shouldn't be a problem.
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
Lolzster

Post by Lolzster »

ok thanks, I'll just do some laps around my neighbourhood, not that crowded and has some varying gradients which is nice and a challenge!

Shame I can't judge distance though lol
ImageImage
Favourite routes: Lilly>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Shizune

Most Feels in route: Lilly>Emi>Hanako>Rin (frustration doesn't count as feels)> Shizune

Yes I love Lilly and hate Shizune... deal with it :)
Akros

Post by Akros »

Lolzster wrote:ok thanks, I'll just do some laps around my neighbourhood, not that crowded and has some varying gradients which is nice and a challenge!

Shame I can't judge distance though lol
try using google maps or earth, set up a route appropriate for you, and there you go
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
Lolzster

Post by Lolzster »

kk will do, thanks mate for the suggestion, lets see how easy (or most likely difficult :)) the 9 weeks will be
ImageImage
Favourite routes: Lilly>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Shizune

Most Feels in route: Lilly>Emi>Hanako>Rin (frustration doesn't count as feels)> Shizune

Yes I love Lilly and hate Shizune... deal with it :)
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Any of you guys using treadmill, I need a little help on 'speed'.

What's the 'set' you run with? 7.5? 8.5? 9.0? I usually run with 9.0 but I think it drains too much of my energy a little too fast, but I'm not sure. What's the norm?
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

You should run at 10 kilometers per hour, or 6 miles per hour. That's the speed the program is designed for.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
BionicKraken

Post by BionicKraken »

FissionXMailed wrote:
BionicKraken wrote:I want my ankles to stop hurting. They probably would've healed a week ago if I hadn't tried to ignore it. :L
Whoa whoa whoa. Never ignore an injury, no matter how small. As soon as something doesn't feel right you should be cautious and not push yourself. After all you can cause more bad than good thinking you can push yourself to finish it.

Take a few easy days, give your ankles a day or two of rest, then see if the problem persists. If it does give it another day or two and see again. If the problem still occurs consult a doctor.

EDIT: Also apply icy-hots if you have any.
They're still kinda bad; staying on my feet at work 5 days a week in crappy shoes is making it a bit harder for them to heal. My right ankle isn't sensitive at all any more, though, so I'm not too worried about it. That and the fact that aside from the sensitivity, they seem alright. There aren't any painful positions or anything like that.
Much love to the Emi workout thread for kickstarting many positive changes in both my life and my mindset.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Megumeru wrote:Any of you guys using treadmill, I need a little help on 'speed'.

What's the 'set' you run with? 7.5? 8.5? 9.0? I usually run with 9.0 but I think it drains too much of my energy a little too fast, but I'm not sure. What's the norm?
7km/h
I'm easymode.
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

zeldas12 wrote:
ZXRN wrote:
Megumeru wrote:Tried the week 5 day 1 just for kicks today and...

...what do you know, I did it. Not even tired too (well, not THAT tired).

Since I started this I've lost...I don't know, 5-8kgs? Working on week 5, see how far I'd go (and whether or not I'll be hospitalized by day 3)
sweet dude. I'll try to catch up with you guys soon. Wait for meeeh.

(yeah...W5D3 is the biggest challenge on that set. Don't you die on me mate!)
Oh man, I've got a long way to go but I hope I can build up my stamina before W5.

Just finished my first day, my body didn't like it at all. The whole time I could feel my body talking to me. When I first started my body was okay with it.

"Well, this is different."

After the third run my body freaked out,.

"WHOA. What the fucks going on?"

4th run was really hard, my body was pretty pissed at me, but I pushed myself and kept going. Heh, I felt like Hisao. My legs started burning, and they felt like lead blocks, but I pushed onward. When I finally finished the 8 runs and walks, I almost collapsed. I never knew I was this out of shape.

Oh and, happy belated birthday!

Don't worry dood, I too felt that way on my very first run. You'll get used to it. I actually kinda feel good when I start feeling that "your heart is gonna pop out" thing and when my feet feel sore/heavy. Feels like i'm actually doing progress. Maybe you'll feel the same way too after a few days. (or maybe i'm a masochist and just don't know it.o.o)

As for my update for today, I restarted week 4 and the same stomach cramp thing happened to me again. I'm guessing this is because of the whole 5 min. run thing coz the pain always starts in the middle of that...So yeah, I still couldn't finish the last 5 min. on the sched. kinda sucks don't it?...

side note:
And thanks to all of you who greeted me on my birthday! Really appreciate it! wahaha.
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Lolzster wrote:Can I ask if I cannot find a nearby track to run at, where would be the best place to run? I've heard that running on concrete is not good because you're more likely to be injured but I fear I may have no choice when I come to do this
I'd say if you're reasonably young, aren't massively overweight and have no knee problems then running on concrete is fine.

If any of the above aren't true, consider finding something softer to run on, because you'll be more susceptable to knee injury.

And after about a month of sporadic exercise and going a little off-target, I'm back on track with a vengeance.

A while back on this thread, I posted a goal for myself to finish my 100 PU challenge by the 30th of this month (planned in to go to a LARP), which gives me just under three weeks to go. I'm aiming on exercising on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday so I'm not exercising on the same days as work (dumb work days), so I shouldn't be feeling so tired out. My last proper week was week 5, so this week I'm going to be repeating W5D3, culminating in an exhaustion test at the end of it. Bearing in mind I did 50 np yesterday when I did a large set, I should be able to get to 60 which is the top bracket, starting me off on W6 to a flying start! I can do this! :D
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Sk3tch

Post by Sk3tch »

Finally cracked down and got some official running shoes. Should make running better now that i won't be in a pair of Converse.

We will see tomorrow.
Emi Couch to 5k : W4D1 Completed
SpamJam

Post by SpamJam »

I cant wait to start this on saturday so i can lose some pounds and build my stamina as i lose my breath way to fast. As im overweight :(
Is running on concrete ok for me?
Emi is my favourite <3
Akros

Post by Akros »

SpamJam wrote:I cant wait to start this on saturday so i can lose some pounds and build my stamina as i lose my breath way to fast. As im overweight :(
It's quite obvious, that when being overweight running gets harder, so depending on your actual weight, it'll be harder for your legs. I'll be better if you start running on softer ground, if that ain't possible for you, then I guess you can either slow down or try running using a treadmill.
Like Althamus has already said, it depends on how "overweighted" you are.
Last edited by Akros on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
SpamJam

Post by SpamJam »

Akros wrote:
SpamJam wrote:I cant wait to start this on saturday so i can lose some pounds and build my stamina as i lose my breath way to fast. As im overweight :(
It's quite obviously, that when being overweight running gets harder, so depending on your actual weight, it'll be harder for your legs. I'll be better if you start running on softer ground, if that ain't possible for you, then I guess you can either slow down or try running using a treadmill.
Like Althamus has already said, it depends on how "overweighted" you are.
Ok thanks i guess im going to have to slow down a bit then and get used to running on concrete.
Emi is my favourite <3
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Althamus wrote:
Lolzster wrote:Can I ask if I cannot find a nearby track to run at, where would be the best place to run? I've heard that running on concrete is not good because you're more likely to be injured but I fear I may have no choice when I come to do this
I'd say if you're reasonably young, aren't massively overweight and have no knee problems then running on concrete is fine.

If any of the above aren't true, consider finding something softer to run on, because you'll be more susceptable to knee injury.
:roll: Quoted from my post 2 posts above yours SpamJam.

And Woohoo :D Great success!

W5D3, I was meant to do 20/20/24/24/20/20/22/50+, and I did 20/20/24/24/20/20/22/60

Also, it was actually pretty easy as well. Up until the penultimate set, I didn't have any trouble at all. I'm hoping with my new and improved timetable, as well as my latest plan to win at life, the rest of the course will be quite easy to finish, and I can finally start EC25K :D

Also, as I've said before on here, I'm kinda skinny, and kinda made of skin and bone, but I'm really noticing a difference in my upper body since starting this routine. Something's working! :D
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101