Shizune's path

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Synthus

Re: Shizune's path

Post by Synthus »

Her particular compartmentalized worldview doesn't help in that regard. For most people, empathy roughly equates to 'substitute the other bloke with myself and think about how I'd feel', and it works fairly well.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Yeah, usually she can tell when somebody is feeling bad. What she has a problem with is the "if I do this, it will make a person feel bad," part.
Not Dead Yet
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Oddball wrote:Yeah, usually she can tell when somebody is feeling bad. What she has a problem with is the "if I do this, it will make a person feel bad," part.
No actually, I disagree on that view.

I think I've mentioned it before that her disability goes far beyond her deafness; it's her ability to relate people that is also affected. So I see it more like "If I do this, it will make them happy...probably. No, it will make them happy! I'm sure!" and of course, it didn't happen as the way she thinks it will.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

Oddball wrote:
She could have said no.
I'm not entirely sure she could have. She's not good at refusing people.

And if it was so obvious what was going to happen, why did Shizune suggest it to begin with?
Because it was obvious what would happen. She wasn't satisfied just beating her she wanted to crush her because the friend of her enemy is her enemy. She said so herself in act 1.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Megumeru wrote:
Oddball wrote:Yeah, usually she can tell when somebody is feeling bad. What she has a problem with is the "if I do this, it will make a person feel bad," part.

I think I've mentioned it before that her disability goes far beyond her deafness; it's her ability to relate people that is also affected. So I see it more like "If I do this, it will make them happy...probably. No, it will make them happy! I'm sure!" and of course, it didn't happen as the way she thinks it will.
Isn't that basicaly the same thing I just said?

She simply can't understand any point of view or emotional reaction to things other than her own.
Not Dead Yet
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

Oddball wrote:
Megumeru wrote:

Isn't that basicaly the same thing I just said?

She simply can't understand any point of view or emotional reaction to things other than her own.
There's a difference between "can't" and "has to stop and logically think about it instead of intuiting it naturally."
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.