The United States of Misha (Misha Post Shizune Good End)

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Hoitash

Re: The United States of Misha 5/24 Update

Post by Hoitash »

VenomSymbiote wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:I find it a bit funny that in a fanfic to a VN that contains graphic sex scenes, people find it offensive if someone who is about 20 years old is drinking a beer...
Especially since here in Germany the legal drinking age for beer is 16 years. I'm not sure about the state of New York. Is the legal age there older than 20?
I am not lost on the irony :P

Anyhow, is Lynda supposed to be this straightforward? I just find her to be a bit... off. Is that normal? Also, don't be worried if you can't write sex scenes. Keep practicing, and sooner or later you'll be proficient to. For now, "fades to black" are fine. It certainly didn't bother me.
As much as I would like to blame the disorder for it, it's a bit more complicated. It's also kinda meta, so I'll spoiler tag it:
See, Lynda wants to move the relationship forward, at a pace Misha is comfortable with. Lynda goes back to her room, but Misha asks her to stay. Lynda is trying to project confidence to her partner, and her way of doing that is to be blunt about it. To say yes, it's okay, I'm okay with this. Nothing more or less, just one step at a time.

Getting all that across was... hard, and I'm not sure how well I did. So if that explanation doesn't work, my go-to excuse is she's off her meds.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
Hoitash

Re: The United States of Misha Updated 5/27

Post by Hoitash »

Thanks everyone for reading and commenting, this is the first thing I’ve written well that’s had an audience that’s given feedback, and it’s really appreciated. I’ll have to add you guys to the acknowledgments page of my first novel.

Previous Chapter

Chapter Nine: Birthday Surprises

Misha lay in her bed as she collected her thoughts Saturday morning. Last night had been… unexpected, and Misha was still surprised by her forwardness- collaboration?- with Lynda. Such aggressiveness seemed out of place when she realized she had no idea what she was doing, but Lynda had no trouble guiding her through. It did seem a bit sudden, but for some reason that didn’t bother her.

The bathroom door opened and Lynda stepped out, wrapped in a fluffy pink towel, her hair wet.

“Morning,” she said, taking off the towel to put her clothes on, giving Misha a chance to admire the rose tattoo on her lower back. Misha took her turn and put on some clean clothes. Only slightly surprised that Lynda was still in her room when she came out of the bathroom, she sat on the edge of her bed, with Lynda sitting across from her on Carla’s bed.

“So...last night,” Lynda said, she was fiddling with her wet hair, twisting it through her fingers or running her fingers up and down it as it limply dried down her back and shoulders, “it uh… look, I’m not good with rejection. I tend to deal with it by denying other people the chance to do it. That’s why I treated our dinners more like dates without calling them that. But they don’t have to be dates if you don’t want them to be, and last night doesn’t have to mean anything if you-” Misha leaned over and put a finger on Lynda’s lips to shut her up.

“I enjoyed last night,” she said, “I enjoy our dinners, and I have no problem going beyond friendship, if you don’t. Besides~” she smiled brightly, “I owe you a real date, dontcha~ think?”

Lynda smiled as Misha lowered her finger, “yes, I think you do. How abut next Thursday; Will won’t mind if I miss one game. You can pick the place and everything.”

Misha nodded, “it’s a date.”

The two sat across from each other for a while, until Lynda eventually got up, “well, I need to step out for a bit, but I’ll be back. Stay near your computer- and turn it on- don’t leave the dorm, and Happy Birthday,” giving a smile and a wink, Lynda strolled out of the room.

Confused, Misha did as Lynda asked, sitting by her laptop, turning it on and surfing through a few forums for a while. After a few hours she got antsy, not to mention hungry, even after a granola fruit bar from her shelf, and she decided to head out for a quick birthday breakfast when the door opened.

“I’m back~” Lynda said, imitating Misha’s voice. Carla was behind her, holding a small cake and…

“A parfait?!” Misha asked, bolting up at the small, but very fancy looking, parfait in the clear plastic cup and lid.

Carla nodded, “Tobi at work told me where to find one, and I got the address here so you can get ‘em yourself. Oh, and Happy Birthday!” she added after a poke from Lynda.

“I ran into her on the way out,” Lynda said, “and I asked if I could stick around.”

Carla rolled her eyes, “liar, this whole thing was your idea.”

“Just the party, not last night,” Lynda whispered in Misha’s ear, making her shiver again.

“Anyway,” Carla said, “we can’t light a candle for the cake, but Will said he wanted to take us out for your birthday dinner,” Carla looked to Lynda, “is he always such a jackass when he talks?”

Lynda shrugged, “usually. So whadda you think?”

Misha beamed at the two, “this is… you didn’t have to do anything…”

“Bullshit,” Lynda said, “you’re my… something, and your Carla’s roommate, and…” Lynda pointed to Misha’s laptop; a pop-up declaring an incoming call request had appeared. Sitting back in her chair, she accepted the request and was astounded by the sight of a very tired looking Shizune and Hisao appearing on two small windows.

[Happy Birthday!] the two signed.

Misha sniffed, stunned and touched, [“Thank you two so much. I’m so glad you remembered.”]

Shizune frowned, [Of course we would remember our best friend’s birthday, how dare you think otherwise!]

[Be nice,] Hisao signed.

“What are they saying?” Lynda asked. Misha jumped; she hadn’t realized the two women had started to stand behind her, one by each shoulder, leaning in to see the two windows.

Misha quickly recapped what they had said, making Lynda smile, “I knew this would work!”

Misha raised an eyebrow, “what would work?” she asked, only just remembering to sign what she said in JSL to her other friends.

“Lynda emailed us, said she wanted to plan something for your birthday,” Hisao said, “you might want to let her know google translate isn’t the best tool for that.”

“You planned this?” Misha asked Lynda, who nodded.

“No one should be alone on their birthday, and you talk so much about Shizune and Hisao,” she almost pronounced their names right, “I thought we should have a party together,” she jerked her thumb at Carla, “she got on board pretty quick at the idea; I cornered her once at work to ask her for help.”

“She also mentioned something about a game of Risk?” Hisao asked after Misha translated through sign, while Hisao signed what he had just said for Shizune.

Misha translated and Lynda nodded, pointing to Carla, “that was her idea.”

“If you don’t mind the translation hurdle,” Carla said.

Misha shook her head, “it wasn’t a problem for just the four of us; one more can’t hurt.”

By signing in JSL to Hisao and Shizune, and careful translation into English, while also signing what she said, Misha was able to mediate the language barrier quite well. It was a lot of work for her own party, but Misha didn’t care. The game was fun, and it was interesting to see Shizune’s aggressive and competitive streak clash with Lynda’s bluntness and forwardness. The two battled wherever their forces bordered, ignorant of the other players as Misha built up her defense of South America, and Carla held on to Africa. Eventually, to everyone’s surprise, Lynda managed to defeat Shizune, taking advantage of her thinly spread forces after she finished off Carla, and helped along by a few lucky dice rolls.

“’Good game, you are a worthy opponent’,” Misha translated Shizune’s compliment when the game ended.

Lynda bowed lightly, “coming from you, I know what a compliment that is. Thank you.”

Misha translated that and Shizune’s response, “’You’re welcome, but don’t get complacent, for I demand a rematch at some point!’”

Lynda laughed, “You’re on, Shizune.”

Carla checked the radio clock, “we could have the rematch now; dinner’s not for another three hours.”

Misha shook her head after translating,” Shicchan and Hicchan are tired; they need to take a nap to make up for being up so late waiting for us,” or early, depending on how you looked at it.

Carla nodded, and after a quick conversation, some goodbyes, and another round of happy birthday’s, the two hung up on Misha.

Misha gave a happy sigh and turned to Carla and Lynda, “thank you, both of you. This has got to be the best birthday ever~!”

“Wait until you eat your present before saying that,” Carla said.

“That can wait, cake!” Lynda said; since Misha had needed two hands to speak with Hisao and Shizune, the cake laid waiting patiently on top of the microwave, while her parfait sat in the fridge.

“Uh, does anyone have a knife?” Lynda asked as she pried the clear plastic covering off the small square cake. The label said it was chocolate with chocolate frosting. In bright pink writing someone had managed to write Happy Birthday, Misha! In squiggly Japanese script.

Carla fished through one of her totes and pulled out a plastic knife, some forks, a spoon for the parfait, napkins, and small paper plates.

“We really should have a candle or something,” Lynda said.

“And set off the fire alarm, hell no,” Carla said, “besides, we can get cake when we eat dinner; this is lunch.”

Carla sliced the cake, somehow dividing it into three pieces, and fished Misha’s birthday parfait out of the fridge.

“Huh,” Carla said, pulling out three small bottles of red whine along with the parfait, “how the hell did these get in here?”

Lynda raised her hand, “guilty. I put them in there a week ago- you might want to clean your fridge more often, I think I saw something growing in there. You gonna rat me out?”

Carla stuck her tongue out at Lynda and pulled out some plastic cups, “you are a terrible influence, you know that?”

Lynda shrugged, “not my fault where I live the drinking age is nineteen.”

“It’s twenty in Japan,” Misha said, “and I’m only nineteen.”

“You didn’t care when you were eighteen; why care now?” Lynda asked.

She had a point, curiosity had been the main driving force, but she also liked some of the beers she tried during the movie nights. She had also had a few sips of wine every now and then with her family, and she new she liked the kind offered, so she shrugged, “fair point, Lycchan.”

Sighing, Carla poured the wine into three cups and raised her own, “to our birthday girl, Micchan. Did I say that right?”

Misha smiled, “close enough.”

+++

Next Chapter

Again, I regret nothing. Though I would like some cake, which is not a lie, but in fact, cake.

I really miss my sanity sometimes.

This I like writing. Drama is hard. Romance is hard. War is easy. Warm and fuzzy is easy.

Well, maybe war is easy for me because I’m a historian. For the UNION!
Last edited by Hoitash on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
RIPJake

Re: The United States of Misha 5/31 Update

Post by RIPJake »

Death by Awesome overload..... Its a good way to go. Excellent job so far. :mrgreen:
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

RIPJake wrote:Death by Awesome overload..... Its a good way to go. Excellent job so far. :mrgreen:
Thanks, I try my best. Sometimes, I succeed :)
bradpara

Post by bradpara »

Yup this is made of win. Keep it coming.
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic
# 2

Post by # 2 »

Wonderful story, wonderfully told and well written. I am definitely enjoying the slow pace.

Please continue.
My Deviations. Please try not to laugh.

Lemons, not just for tangy drinks and incendiaries anymore!
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

# 2 wrote:Wonderful story, wonderfully told and well written. I am definitely enjoying the slow pace.

Please continue.
I will :)

Glad you enjoy the pacing, because this is almost half done, by my estimates. I'm trying to do some deep, emotional stuff with Misha's mental state, and I want to make sure I'm doing a thorough and realistic job.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

The following is a PSA:

The views and politics expressed by the characters of this fanfic do not necessarily reflect the views and politics of the writer, nor are they meant to convey a particular political message. Thank you.

Okay folks, we’re entering the next stage of emotional and relationship… stuff.

Previous Chapter

Chapter Ten: The Dating Game

“Uh-huh,” the doctor said for the umpteenth time. Misha was sitting on his examination bench while the labcoat clad man with short gray hair glanced through his examination results. Misha fiddled with her light pink knee-length skirt while she waited, smoothing out imaginary creases.

Finally, he was finished, “well, your friend was right; there is definitely some inner-ear damage occurring here,” the Doctor said, looking through a chart, “nothing serious, fortunately. Unfortunately, there’s not a lot that can be done about it; corrective surgery for such a minor issue could cause serious complications, so, we’re going to have to fight this the old fashioned way.”

The Doctor looked through some drawers of his clean, white exam room and eventually pulled out a thick pamphlet entitled “Your Inner Ear and You.”

Misha took the pamphlet and skimmed it. Use earplugs, avoid loud noises, watch your blood pressure, basic stuff.

“I can’t drink alcohol?” she asked. The Doctor raised an eyebrow, which caused her to pout a little in fear. The Doctor smiled and winked.

“The key, as with most things,” he said, “is moderation. You don’t need to completely avoid alcohol, caffeine, or sodium. You do need to be careful about your intake; especially sodium, its everywhere.”

Misha nodded, “thanks, Doctor~.”

He nodded and smiled, “just doing my job.”

==

“How do I look?” Misha asked Carla Thursday afternoon. She looked the same as she did when she had seen the Doctor, except she had put in a few heart-shaped hair clips to pull her hair back; Lynda liked kissing around Misha’s ears. Since Carla had already connected the dots, she didn’t mind asking for her opinion. Carla’s response had been “just don’t have sex on my bed.”

Carla didn’t bother to look up from her copy of The Hunger Games as she sat under the bright HOPE and YES WE CAN poster’s that decorated her side of the wall. Misha had found a Final Fantasy poster and a reprint From Russia with Love poster for her side.

“You look fine; stop worrying,” Carla said.

Misha put her hands on her hips, “I’ve never done anything like this before; I’m nervous, okay~?”

Carla put her book down to look Misha in the eye, “Shiina, do you like her?”

Misha raised an eyebrow and nodded.

“Does she like you?”

Misha nodded again.

“Then calm. The fuck. Down. If she cared about dating, or labels, or all that relationship shit, she’d probably have been more direct about it, right?”

Misha exhaled and let her shoulders slump; she hadn’t realized how tense she was until Carla had said something, “you’re right, Cacchan. She’s not very big on labels.”

Carla smiled, “of course I’m right. I’ve started to focus on sexual orientation based psychology for my major.”

“Oh, so I’m a case study to you?” Misha asked, quickly grabbing Carla in a hug. As she let go she jumped when she noticed the time.

“I need to go~,” Misha said, heading for the door, purse swinging behind her, “thank you for your help Cacchan.”

“You’re welcome. Hey, if this works out, name your first kid after me.”

“I’m your case study, isn’t that enough?”

With Carla’s laughing echoing behind her, Misha left the dorm and nearly ran into Lynda. Apparently waiting in the hall, she was dressed more or less like Misha, except her long black hair flowed behind her, brushed smooth and bright.

“Hi,” Lynda said, looking calm and fidgeting less then she normally seemed to.

“Hi,” Misha said, “you look nice.”

“Thanks, you, too.”

Misha’s brain was frozen. She knew that nothing had changed between the two, but at the same time, things had changed.

“Misha?” Lynda asked.

Realizing they were standing alone in a hallway looking like idiots, Misha nodded and led Lynda outside into the chill November air, their jackets zipped up against the autumn cold.

“Where are we going, anyway?” Lynda asked, content to let Misha run the show.

“You’ll see~,” Misha said. The two walked in silence for a few blocks, admiring the city as the sun began to set, the two occasionally commenting on a particular building or street as they walked. Every now and then some intrepid business had put up a few early Christmas decorations.

“Do you have any Christmas plans?” Misha asked Lynda, poking for conversation as they walked.

Lynda shrugged, “Will and I are going to spend it with one of my Aunt’s in Michigan,” Misha had studied an atlas of the US, so she didn’t have to keep wondering where these places were when they were mentioned. Lynda had extended the courtesy for Japan, since Misha talked about it rather frequently, “Mom’s going, too. Dad’s… still in Iraq.”

“Well, maybe that’ll change now that there’s a new President,” Misha said. American politics still confused Misha, so she had made sure to register for an American Government course in the Spring. She would have registered in the Fall, but she had decided on a US history course instead.

Lynda sighed, “I hope so, but even then, he won’t be around much; he doesn’t even have dual citizenship yet.”

“How did your parents meet?” Misha asked, her curiosity piqued.

Lynda laughed, “Same old story; girl sees boy in uniform out on the town while she’s job hunting, falls in love with the guy, and boom, marriage- I don’t think I’ve mentioned it before, but they’ve been married for… ten years now.”

“Wow…What happened to your bio-logical father?”

Lynda sighed, “drunk driver.”

When Lynda didn’t elaborate Misha didn’t pry; she was getting better at picking up people’s moods.

“How did your parents meet?” Lynda asked suddenly.

“Co-worker set them up,” Misha said, “Dad went to the restaurant she worked at sometimes, and once he got a glimpse of her, it was love at first sight- according to the co-worker, at least~. Dad insisted it was her cooking.”

Lynda laughed lightly, “Your father sounds like a romantic.”

Misha shrugged, “I guess so. Oh, we’re here!”

The two were standing in front of a large building with an unmistakable Asian influence in its construction, the roof shingled and angled as if it were plucked from an old samurai movie.

“What do we have here?” Lynda asked through a smirk.

“It’s a Japanese Steakhouse!” Misha answered, practically bouncing on her heals, “A local one, too- not one of those American chains! Do you like it?”

Lynda smiled and pecked Misha on the cheek, “if you picked it out, I will,” Lynda groaned at herself, “sorry, I just realized how corny that sounded.”

Misha returned the peck, “I don’t mind; I could use some corny romance in my life~,” it was better then rejection and jealousy, that was for sure.

The two stepped inside and were assaulted by Asian décor and atmosphere; though the wait staff were all dressed in Western clothes. Expensive western clothes- the online reviews had said the place wasn’t entirely “traditional,” but that just meant less of a culture shock for Lynda.

“Uh, Micchan,” Lynda whispered near Misha’s ear, “this place looks a little…expensive.”

“It is~!” Misha responded, “don’t worry, my parent’s sent me some extra money when I told them how well I did on my midterms,” Will had also given her more money, in an envelope stuck in her ASL textbook with a note that said “be good to each other.”

Lynda shrugged, “if you’re sure. Is this the kind of steakhouse where we share a table?”

Misha shook her head, “they have individual tables, too.”

“Ahem,” the maître’d coughed to grab the two young women’s attention, “may I help you?” he asked.

“Table for two, under ‘Mikado’,” Misha said.

“Ah, yes, I see it here,” he said, tapping the table chart taped to his podium. He looked at a hovering waiter nearby, who grabbed two menus from a pile and led the two to a small, secluded square table with a white linen tablecloth, in a corner with a view out to the city.

“Would you two like anything to drink?” he asked.

With Misha’s help, the two were able to order some Japanese sodas, which appeared at their table shortly afterward, along with two glasses of ice water. The waiter then withdrew to give them time to select their orders.

“Do you like the soda?” Misha asked. Lynda took a tentative sip and nodded. Again, Misha found herself relaxing from a previously unknown state of tension.

“You don’t need to be so tense, you know,” Lynda said.

Misha pouted, “I want everything to go well, though~.”

Lynda shrugged, “it will, because no matter what, we’re here together,” she rolled her eyes, “wow, I am sounding cliché tonight.”

Misha smiled, “you’re still right, though,” she said, putting her hand over Lynda’s. The two spent a few seconds looking into each other’s eyes before diverting their gaze to their menus.

The waiter returned to take their orders a minute or two later. Lynda chose a sirloin steak, while Misha opted for a seafood platter. The waiter withdrew again, stating there chef would arrive shortly.

“I forgot about that,” Lynda said, “I’ve never been to one of these places before.”

“I thought you’d like it~!”

Lynda smiled at Misha’s beaming face, “you are so cute when you smile,” Lynda said.

Misha’s face flushed slightly and she looked down at the table, “thanks,” she mumbled.

After a few seconds of silence, Lynda spoke up again, “can I ask you something?” she asked, her face an odd expression.

Misha nodded.

“Hisao and Shih-zoo-ne,” Lynda paused on the name to try and say it properly, “are your best friends, right?”

Misha nodded.

“And…they’re dating each other. It doesn’t take a genius to sense some possibility for tension there. I wouldn’t bring it up, but I want to know you better, and knowing your history is part of that,” Misha didn’t bring up her past very much; most of the conversations between the two involved school, hobbies, or Will and Henry’s latest argument.

Misha nodded and gave a short version of the three’s friendship. When she had finished Lynda spoke as Misha looked down at their table again, “you’re a good friend, you know that? Not a lot of people would stick by someone after that.”

Misha sighed, “but I did it for all the wrong reasons.”

Lynda shrugged, “this one guy I dated once said ‘if the road to hell is paved with good intentions, then surely the road to Purgatory is paved with good things done for the wrong reasons.’”

Before Lynda could quickly explain Catholic theology, the two’s chef arrived. Short and dressed the part in a white chef’s outfit, he easily dragged his cooking roller and their uncooked meals up to there table. He quickly started the show, preparing their meals while easily chatting with the two women. Speaking in both English and Japanese, Misha once again found herself translating snippets of conversation. Neither Lynda nor the chef seemed to mind, and after he finished their meals he gave a bow and steered his cart out of sight.

“That was… different,” Lynda said.

“Did you like it?” Misha asked.

Lynda nodded, “dinner and a show, what’s not to like?”

The two ate in relative silence, occasionally exchanging a short question about their food. After dinner the waiter returned and enquired about dessert. Curious about what they offered, Lynda and Misha said yes, and soon found their meal topped off with some traditional Japanese desserts.

“You know,” Lynda said a she finished off her dessert, “you are really setting the bar for our next date; I’ll have to take you to a place we’ll have to wear dresses to, or something.”

Misha smiled, “I look forward to it.”

Technically, they should have dressed up for the steakhouse, but Misha hadn’t wanted to stress out over that, on top of everything else. She hadn’t packed any Japanese style clothing, anyway.

After finishing dessert and paying the bill-which was thankfully about what Misha had figured it would be- the two made their way back to Misha’s dorm room.

“You know Henry’s place is on the way to your dorm, right?” Lynda had asked.

Misha nodded, then leaned in to whisper in Lynda’s ear, trying her best to cause her own shivers for a change, “yes, but Carla said she would be gone tonight, so we’ll have the whole place to ourselves.”

Misha fervently hoped the slight shake Lynda had was unrelated to the chill air.

+++

Next Chapter

I could go for a steak about now…
Last edited by Hoitash on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
AusJake
Location: Sydney; Where the grass is Metaphorically Greener, and I'm Browning it up

Re: The United States of Misha Updated 6/3

Post by AusJake »

Nice Work so Far.......
I've been pronouncing Shizune Wrong my whole life....

Please excuse me while i jump off the Sydney Harbour Bridge to land into the Hopefully Shark infested waters. :cry:
Here lies Jake, Died 1/6/12 of an Awesome Overload

Jesse: nothing says comfort like De-flowering a lesbian with your penis..
Me: your a girl. And what?! Where'd you read that?
Jesse: i didn't, im a hermaphrodite...
Me: you wish.
Jesse: i do.
* the awkward silence that followed.... My gawd!*
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

AusJake wrote:Nice Work so Far.......

Please excuse me while i jump off the Sydney Harbour Bridge to land into the Hopefully Shark infested waters. :cry:
I'll be honest, I'm not sure that's right, either.

I've seen two or three pronunciations for all the girl's- and even Hisao's- name. I guess its one of those "you can skip some of the syllables if your a fluent speaker" deal.
# 2

Post by # 2 »

Before Lynda could quickly explain Catholic theology, the two’s chef arrived. Short and dressed the part in a white chef’s outfit, he easily dragged his cooking roller and their uncooked meals up to there table. He quickly started the show, preparing there their meal while easily chatting with the two women. Speaking in both English and Japanese, Misha once again found herself translating snippets of conversation. Neither Lynda nor the chef seemed to mind, and after he finished there their meals he gave a bow and steered his cart out of sight.
Nice update. It's a little odd to see Misha taking the lead this time, but overall it feels good. I assume Lynda took her meds tonight? :D

Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

# 2 wrote: Nice update. It's a little odd to see Misha taking the lead this time, but overall it feels good. I assume Lynda took her meds tonight? :D
That would be an accurate assumption :)

And thanks for the edit notes.
# 2

Post by # 2 »

Hoitash wrote:
AusJake wrote:Nice Work so Far.......

I'll be honest, I'm not sure that's right, either.

I've seen two or three pronunciations for all the girl's- and even Hisao's- name. I guess its one of those "you can skip some of the syllables if your a fluent speaker" deal.
In Japanese the vowels are always voiced except in the case of 'i' and 'u' when they are between 'voiceless' consonants, for example, 'k', 's', 'sh', 't' (And I think some others, but I can't remember at the moment. So Kitsune sounds like k'ts'ne. Shizune sounds like Shi'zu'ne. The 'u' sound is not prolonged, but sounds like a clipped 'oo' in the word food.

This is based off of one years of Japanese study, with very little experience with speaking to native speakers, so Your Millage May Vary.

Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I made a pronounciation guide for all the names if you care to find it - posting links from my tablet is a bit complicated ^^
I've been to a japanese steakhouse once, and expensive is only half of it. I didn't get to see the final bill (business dinner), but an orange juice cost about ten dollars...
In that restaurant there weren't individual tables. Everyone was seated directly at the bar where the cooking plates were installed. Also the cooking itself took well over an hour for the different courses.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Mirage_GSM wrote:I made a pronounciation guide for all the names if you care to find it - posting links from my tablet is a bit complicated ^^
I've been to a japanese steakhouse once, and expensive is only half of it. I didn't get to see the final bill (business dinner), but an orange juice cost about ten dollars...
In that restaurant there weren't individual tables. Everyone was seated directly at the bar where the cooking plates were installed. Also the cooking itself took well over an hour for the different courses.
I have found a few places that had individual tables. most of them are chains, so finding a non-chain restaurant like that would take some effort, but they are out there.

I will admit that though I try my dadgummest to get things right, sometimes reality is occasionally bent for the sake of the story. I do apologize for doing this, since it is probably the single worse thing a writer can do.