Moonlight Sonata

WORDS WORDS WORDS

# 2

Moonlight Sonata

Post by # 2 »

Moonlight Sonata

Short scenes staring one of the girls and a boy. There are no names, but the identity of the girl in each story should be obvious. The boy can be assumed to ht Hisao, or maybe some other boy you'd prefer to put in his stead. There will eventually be one story for each girl, including Misha.

Anywho, enjoy.

Oh, and if I ever figure out how to link posts, I'll do that. On with the show.

-------------
Moonlight Sonata

Some things are never meant to be shared.

I step into the Student Council classroom and carefully close the door behind me. The room is dark, lit only by the light of the moon seeping in through the windows. I nod in satisfaction, this time of night, this day of the week, there will be no one to bear witness.

I slip my bag from my shoulder, set it on my desk and remove the only three items it contains; a small compact disc player, a set of high quality speakers, and a deflated balloon.

I smile a bit at the as I plug the speakers into the player, it still feels silly, what I'm doing, even though I've done it many times before. The balloon is next, I inflate it to capacity, then a bit more beyond that, and give it a tap with a fingertip. The vibration from my finger travels through the balloon and into the fingers of the hand holding it. Good. Finally, the music.

I press the play button. I hear nothing, of course, but a green LED begins blinking to let me know that the music has in fact begun.

I place a hand on the balloon and close my eyes. The vibrations flow into me, waves of notes, slow and insistent for the bass notes, soft and purring for the treble. My left hand joins my right on the balloon; I cradle it tenderly between my fingers. My body begins to move.

First, slow and tentative steps to find the rhythm, and then more confident movements as I settle into it.

My eyes still closed, it's almost as if I can see the notes as they wash through me; I imagine myself carried by the music, weightless, out of control, a leaf washed away by a torrent to spin and tumble at the mercy of the water.

The music ends but I continue moving; the player is set to automatically loop, and the when the notes begin anew I am already moving in time to their rhythm. I allow my eyelids to slip open of their own accord; the room, awash in moonlight, seems like another world, a magical place free of cares and worries; just me and the music. Until I see him.

I come to a stop so suddenly that I nearly fall forward, he sees and rushes forward to catch me. I see the look of concern on his face in the soft moonlight and it disgusts me, I don't want anyone to look at me like that, as if I'm helpless, and I catch myself with a move that lacks grace and dignity. Still, he's there, his lips moving, but I don't care. I turn away, toward the desk with the player. I move forward to shut off the sound I cannot hear.

He moves to block me. His hand reaches out to mine and I flinch, but not before me takes my hand in his. He leads me back to the center of the room. All I can do is stare at him. What does he mean to do? He knows I can't hear. Without the balloon I can't even sense the music anymore.

He takes my other hand. He steps forward and I step away. Another step. And another. A turn. Slowly I begin to recognize the cadence. The music.

We continue. A step. A step. A turn. I close my eyes. There is no sound. But there is the feeling of him, gently leading me. The music continues, I feel myself relax. My head touches his shoulder. His hand rests on my hip.

Some things are never meant to be shared. But maybe, just this once, it's OK.
Last edited by # 2 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Deviations. Please try not to laugh.

Lemons, not just for tangy drinks and incendiaries anymore!
AusJake
Location: Sydney; Where the grass is Metaphorically Greener, and I'm Browning it up

Re: Moonlight Sonata

Post by AusJake »

:D Yes! Yes! Yes! This Is so.... Yes!
Here lies Jake, Died 1/6/12 of an Awesome Overload

Jesse: nothing says comfort like De-flowering a lesbian with your penis..
Me: your a girl. And what?! Where'd you read that?
Jesse: i didn't, im a hermaphrodite...
Me: you wish.
Jesse: i do.
* the awkward silence that followed.... My gawd!*
nemz

Post by nemz »

You should give yourself more credit, this is a wonderful little scene!
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
# 2

Post by # 2 »

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Although I can't dance lick, I love the art of dancing, and I feel like it's the most sincere way for a person to express emotion.

Since I have nothing better to do today, and I'm in a melancholy mood, I'll try my hand at another short scene.

-------------

Dance the night away

"We're here," he says as he turns toward a nondescript building standing at the side of a street that's a carbon copy of almost every other street in the city. The street is dimly lit by lamps spaced far enough apart that they illuminate the gloom without beating it back completely. There are people here, not many, but enough that I feel nervous, and tilt my head downward so that my bangs cover my face. He notices.

"Are you OK?"

There is concern in his voice as he asks. I try to nod, to say, yes, I'm just nervous, but I lock up. My hands are trembling, I'm breathing too fast, the lights are too bright, my heart pounds. "I-- I'm..."

My hand is in his. I feel numb. We are going away from the lights, the people, the building that is just like every other; imposing, frightening in it's mystery. I hear his voice, soothing me, though I can't make out the words.

Time slips. How long did we walk? I don't know. I'm sitting, my face in my hands as my breathing slows and my heart resumes it's regular rhythm. He sits next to me, I can feel his eyes on me. I cringe.

We are in a park, seated on a wood and wrought iron bench. There are no artificial lights here, only the silvery moonlight. it would be beautiful if I weren't so depressed.

"S-- sorry..." I mumble. I want to tell him how sorry I am for messing things up. I want to say how happy it made me when he asked me to come with him to the dance, how much I wanted to share this night with him. Nothing comes out. I feel awful.

"Don't be. Don't ever be sorry." His voice is quiet, barely more than a whisper.

I move slowly, like in a dream. I sit up and turn my head to look at him. His eyes are soft, reflecting moonlight. His lips curve into a gentle smile. His hand rises to brush the hair away from my face. Several heartbeats pass as he takes it in. His eyes never waver, his smile does not falter.

I turn away, my face hot. I can't look at him any longer; I can't allow him to see me. I know I'm not pretty, for him to pretend makes me feel sick inside.

He stands. He'll leave now, I know. I look at the grass beneath my feet. I want to cry, but I can't.

"Hey." Another whisper.

I look up. He's standing before me, a hand held out. I stare. I don't understand.

Slowly, his hand takes mine. I'm lifted from the bench. He speaks softly. No, he's not talking, he's... singing.

His English is broken, I can tell even though I wouldn't understand the words even if he spoke them fluently. He stumbles on a word and blushes.

"Sorry." He smiles sheepishly at his mistake, and starts over.

As he sings, he pulls gently on my hand. I take a step, lest I fall. He takes another. His slow steps lead me across the grass. He lifts his hand, his arm crosses over my head as he steps around me. It feels awkward, silly, but right. I can't help but smile. He does the same, his voice soft with laughter.

Time slips. How long did we dance? I don't know. It feels like forever.
Last edited by # 2 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ascended Flutist

Post by Ascended Flutist »

# 2 wrote:I'm not a writer, and I have some difficulty interpreting my thoughts into words. I hope that this captures the scene as it payed out in my mind. I somehow doubt it, but I tried.
I know exactly what you mean. It can be really frustrating at times. But that, sir, is a neat and original piece of fiction, and it flows well. You did good. Very good.

EDIT : Good lord, your Shizune fic was cute, but the Hanako one...It's just beautiful. Just. Beautiful.
Last edited by Ascended Flutist on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And to live in Peace A post Hanako Good End fanfiction. That about sums it up.

Fanfics Thou shalt not regret reading : Bloodline, Doomish's Misha Pseudo-route, Rika's Story, A Pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route.
There are many other apocryphas worth reading in the fanfiction section. Do yourself a favor, dig them up and read them. Reading is good.

Nice hat.
bradpara

Post by bradpara »

Excellent. You win the internet.
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic
Elcor

Post by Elcor »

Amazing in how vivid you have made this, a true beaut.
Fan Fiction writer's are drug dealers and they don't even know it.
Total Destruction

Post by Total Destruction »

You're selling yourself way short. Would have NEVER thought of a deaf person using a balloon as a conduit to feel what music sounds like, much less write about it and make it convincing.

:D
... Danger.
# 2

Post by # 2 »

Ascended Flutist wrote:
# 2 wrote:I'm not a writer, and I have some difficulty interpreting my thoughts into words. I hope that this captures the scene as it payed out in my mind. I somehow doubt it, but I tried.
I know exactly what you mean. It can be really frustrating at times. But that, sir, is a neat and original piece of fiction, and it flows well. You did good. Very good.

EDIT : Good lord, your Shizune fic was cute, but the Hanako one...It's just beautiful. Just. Beautiful.
I've never really felt like Shizune ever really let herself go anywhere during her story arc, and I think that made it's way into what I wrote.
Total Destruction wrote:You're selling yourself way short. Would have NEVER thought of a deaf person using a balloon as a conduit to feel what music sounds like, much less write about it and make it convincing.
Since reading KS I've done a lot of looking into various ways people live despite their disabilities. I found an article about how some institutions play music for their deaf patrons, and it mentioned that these places often offer balloons so that those who can't hear can feel the vibrations of the music.

There are also deaf dance troops, though they rehearse and perform not to the vibrations of the music, but to memorization of the music's timing.

I have to admit that Hanako and Shizune are at the bottom of the list of my favorite girls, and I think this may be a way for me to understand their characters a little better, and find a way to appreciate them as much as I do the other girls.

bradpara

Post by bradpara »

You've made my head canon with both of your stories.

Well done
# 2

Post by # 2 »

bradpara wrote:You've made my head canon with both of your stories.

Well done
Head canon? Sorry, I'm not up with the lingo.

------------

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

I'm sitting on the school rooftop. It has been a long day, and I yawn. No one has been up here all day. No one but me.

"Am I... bored?"

I look to the sky for my answer. No clouds today.

"Bored, I am."

This makes me smile. It's a simple solution. I am no longer bored.

I spend several minutes being not bored. I find it boring.

"Maybe." Yes, maybe he is bored too. Maybe I should check. Maybe there is something not boring we can do.

I cross my legs under myself and stand. It's a short walk to the dormitories, but long enough for me to forget. I must not forget of course, I must concentrate on being bored. I am the essence of boredom.

By the time I am midway to the dormitories, I have spotted two butterflies and a cloud. These are not boring things, so I ignore them. If I am no longer bored I'll have no reason to see him. I try closing my eyes so I won't be distracted, but it's a clumsy way to walk. I try looking at my feet instead. Better. Feet? Boring. Sandals? Boring. Ladybug?

"Curious."

And it is. Curious. Where is she going? I crouch down and watch. She moves very slowly. I move very slowly. Without warning she spreads her wings and flies. I follow. Except that I cannot fly, and she is gone.

I inspect the area of the sky where she disappeared. Nothing but the lone cloud. I want to watch it, but something in the back of my mind pokes at the front. What is it?

"Oh."

I am pleased, I did not forget to be bored. I am no longer near the dormitories though, so I have to walk back to them. I keep my eyes on the dormitory doors this time. Their boringness sucks the curiosity from me. It is good.

Through the doors and into the hallways, all very boring. His door is boring. Just a door, just as boring as all other doors, unless they are open, which this one is not. It would be interesting to have it open. I knock.

There's an answer from behind the door.

"Hello," I answer back.

I hear a chair being scooted backward, feet treading on the floor. The latch clicks, the door is open. There he is.

"Your door is interesting now."

He smiles quizzically. Would I like to come in? I wonder; I would like to go in, there are not boring things we could do on the other side of his door, but I would rather do other things now and leave those things for later.

"I am not here for the sex."

He laughs at this. He asks if I've eaten, I can't remember. He nods and gets his wallet from on top of his desk. He closes his door and we leave the dormitories. He asks where we should eat. I do not know, I do not answer. I watch the smile fade from his face. His face is less interesting without the smile. I want to bring it back.

The wind gusts. Only for a moment. Only long enough to pick up two leaves from beneath the oak tree and make them dance.

I dance with the leaves. I spin, on my toes, my arms held away from my body. I stop and turn back. He has stopped, he is watching me. There is no smile yet.

I skip back to him, my strides long, my arms flap each time my feet touch the ground. I am the butterfly. I look in his eyes. There is a twinkle there, the corner of his mouth is perked upward.

"The ladybug danced better than you," I say. "At least she flew at the end.

There. His face is interesting again. He says he'd feel silly if he tried to dance like a ladybug.

My head leans to the side. "Do the leaves feel silly when they dance with the wind?"

He smiles. A better smile than the usual, it makes his face look happy. I think I like this smile.

I dance away, a leaf on the wind. My eyes catch him as I spin. He is a leaf also. But less graceful. He stumbles and falls, laughing. I dance back to him, and the wind releases me to fall next to him.

He smiles at me, the smile that makes his face happy. He asks if he'd make a very good leaf.

I answer. "I think I would like cake."

bradpara

Post by bradpara »

# 2 wrote:

Well done
It means that as far as I am concerned, your stories are as "real" as the game is.
# 2

Post by # 2 »

bradpara wrote:
# 2 wrote:

Well done
It means that as far as I am concerned, your stories are as "real" as the game is.

Thanks for the complement :D

Scissorlips

Post by Scissorlips »

These are all three really great little stories! I really enjoyed the first, I love the idea of Shizune keeping something that she enjoys such a closely guarded secret, since she knows she'll never be the best at it. For the second one, I think you did a good job getting across the fear and despair that a girl like Hanako has to deal with, and how good it is to see someone like that receive moments of real happiness. The Rin one I really liked as well, even if she seemed almost a little bit too out of it. I don't know, I can't get into Rin's head at all but I know she is capable of having a normal conversation at times. Still, it was really cute, and I'm glad you decided to drop by and share these with us. Looking forward to any more you might want to do!
(Also, are you the 2/2 who's been on my steam friendslist for like four months but we've never talked? Because if so, um, hi.)

[Pastebin] [Familiarity]
Your troubles shall cease, and you will know peace.

# 2

Post by # 2 »

Scissorlips wrote:These are all three really great little stories! I really enjoyed the first, I love the idea of Shizune keeping something that she enjoys such a closely guarded secret, since she knows she'll never be the best at it. For the second one, I think you did a good job getting across the fear and despair that a girl like Hanako has to deal with, and how good it is to see someone like that receive moments of real happiness. The Rin one I really liked as well, even if she seemed almost a little bit too out of it. I don't know, I can't get into Rin's head at all but I know she is capable of having a normal conversation at times. Still, it was really cute, and I'm glad you decided to drop by and share these with us. Looking forward to any more you might want to do!
Thanks for the feedback. Mmm, Rin's story really doesn't call for her to pull herself together much, there's no real dramatic tension, just Rin herself on a walk across campus. Maybe she does seem a bit too scatterbrained here, but, oh well. What's done is done and for me, it just feels right.
Scissorlips wrote:(Also, are you the 2/2 who's been on my steam friendslist for like four months but we've never talked? Because if so, um, hi.)
Nah, I go by a different on Steam, by the time I got my Steam account, all the good variations on the number two had been taken. Not that I go on Steam much anymore since having to downgrade from my laptop to a cheesy netbook while I travel.