Did we change?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Re: How Has Katawa Shoujo Changed You If it Has?

Post by Guest »

When I play OMSI, I imagine that I'm driving Yamaku students on a field trip. Needless to say, I crash a lot less often than I used to.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Compatibility is extremely important in a relationship. I'm not going to take interest in a girl just because she's attractive or has a nice personality, even though those are important. We must actively share some of the same interest, goals, hobbies etc... Seems very immature that I hadn't realized such an obvious thing much earlier.
Axelownz

Post by Axelownz »

ShadeHaven wrote:Compatibility is extremely important in a relationship. I'm not going to take interest in a girl just because she's attractive or has a nice personality, even though those are important. We must actively share some of the same interest, goals, hobbies etc... Seems very immature that I hadn't realized such an obvious thing much earlier.
I can agree with this but even a bit more. Even with co workers and other people, i need to find common ground or i get very bored with the conversation, and i hate small talk, since it usually feels very forced, i am still polite though. With a relationship common ground is one of the most important things for me, the other being space, i just can't see someone every day or text someone every minute of the day.

As for KS changing me, i don't think it has much. It may have made me take a look inward for a bit but nothing major, i think i am pretty much the same as before.
WorldlyWiseman

Post by WorldlyWiseman »

It changed me a little bit in a way that has cascaded into other parts of my life. The game itself is sweet and honest, but the real force of it for me was its origins. If this game is remembered positively by anyone outside this community years from now, it'll be a story of a bunch of strangers uniting around the one-off joke of another stranger and creating something genuine with no incentive other than wanting it badly enough. Reading the dev commentary and answers shows that it was a little different than that, but it's still inspiring on its own.

Anyway, I was already in therapy but I decided to cut the bullcrap and become more engaged with the process. I'm writing again (haven't actually posted anything like I promised myself for a while, but whatever). I finally admitted that I should just cough up the money for Spanish and programming classes instead of trying to half-assedly teach myself, failing, and then beating myself up over it. It was a tiny change that prevented me from losing some positive tools that were just within my reach.
Hanako's favorite joke is The Aristocrats, but she never tells it because Lilly finds it really offensive. Instead, she practices her delivery in front of a mirror when she's alone. It's the only time she never stammers.
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Megumeru wrote:It encouraged me to exercise after 2 years since the first time I'm in college...

other than that, it kinda' motivates me mentally to finish my work on time and meet deadlines while trying to accomplish as many things as possible.
I'd say these stuff do, but you already beat me to it. Only thing I can add is, I've started doing some drawings again. Kinda feels nice to see something you create come to life. (gotta thank Rin for that one since I'm a fine arts graduate that kinda lost interest in drawing.)
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
~Shultz

Post by ~Shultz »

Well, I think I changed for the worst. The game itself endarkened me a lot. I tend to be more emotional now... It made me also more understandable and a better person, but that is just the top of the iceberg

I've been a coldest person, lastly. And I also changed all the views on the society and how it works, even it changed my vision on women, and that is not on a Kenji way (thought I want to know how that worked, for fun)
The name is /V/ice~
Moto 11

Post by Moto 11 »

Each girl has taught me a valuable life lesson according to their assets and situation
Lilly: Sometimes people need a push to do what they gotta do
Emi: No matter what happens in life keep moving forward
Rin: Live life one day at a time appreciating the little things but dont spend your days focusing too much on one thing
Hanako: The people i know,trust,love and care for are the people that give me my self worth
Then Lastly Shizune: If you keep reaching higher in life you will never be unsatisfied
This was not only a game for me as it was a learning experience in life i wish theyd make another one
God Above All
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

I kinda feel like a weirdo among you guys, really. Cause KS didn't change the way I think at all. :/ Though I guess I can chalk it upto already having a view that is realistic enough in my opinion.
However, what it did is make me a fan of visual novels. A medium that I wouldn't have tried otherwise.
Evenstar

Post by Evenstar »

Since it's likely I'm one of the older posters here, I didn't experience many actual changes in my attitudes. I did get some clarity on ideas I've had for a long time (e.g. the importance of art, honesty is the best policy, etc.). What did happen was a reassessment of my own memories in light of the stories that I read. As I completed each story arc, I'd be surprised by recollections of my romantic entanglements, both short and long, mistakes and triumphs mixed together. It made me remember how much those shaped my own path, leading me to the Good Ending that I never expected (20+ years with a post-graduate, confident version of Yuuko).

Now, like the previous poster, I've now become a fan of VN with several already downloaded, ready to keep me up too late. I just hope the others can measure up to the high quality of writing I found in Katawa Shoujo!
KS Standard: Shizune> Hanako> Emi> Lilly> Rin
KS Alternate: Sae> Yuuko> Meiko> Akira

rydiafan

Something New ??

Post by rydiafan »

Has some aspect of KS made you try something new ??

For me over the last couple of days i started to listen to jazz seriously thanks to " Red Velvet "
~Shultz

Re: Something New ??

Post by ~Shultz »

Well, I was an avid reader when I was a kid, but I quit it because some turn of events that took place on my childhood. I get back to reading months before I first played KS, but now it encouraged me to be always with a random book in my hands. Also, some pieces of the soundtrack made me to put more attention when I'm playing piano. I'm still trying Painful History
The name is /V/ice~
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Made me try running/actually exercising.
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Haruki Murakami is my new favorite author. I finished the Trilogy of the Rat and then "Dance Dance Dance". I am working on "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" right now.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

I've applied for college to attend this upcoming Fall, partially due to KS.

If my schedule works out, I'll be taking a class on sign language when I re-enter college, entirely due to KS.

I'm losing a ton of weight and getting exercise regularly now, partially due to KS.

I'm going to start doing charity or volunteer work of some sort very soon, partially due to KS.

I feel more fulfilled, vibrant, and just plain good, partially due to KS.

So yeah, I've done some new things.
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

I've taken an interest in Visual Novels.

This is also the first time i've created fan art, for anything.