Some Cast Colour Changes

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Celiest

Re: Some Cast Colour Changes

Post by Celiest »

I agree with Peorth about the last four colours. I find the dark blue most fitting and pretty on her though. Looks really nice. ^^
Anon_101

Post by Anon_101 »

May sound a bit silly, but either do a dailogue where you can convince your love interest to dye her hair (I don't see that happening with someone like Hanako though). I'd suggest a way to just change the colour of the sprite to user's taste-either an unlockable thing, or just doable at options, if it's not too hard to do?
TcDohl

Post by TcDohl »

Anon_101 wrote:I'd suggest a way to just change the colour of the sprite to user's taste-either an unlockable thing, or just doable at options, if it's not too hard to do?
Unless there's some coding magic I'm not aware of, there is no way to change the girls' hair without making an entirely new sprite.
<@Delta_Kurshiva> I'm tiny~

[10:43] <@A22> Damn Dohl never changes, all he thinks about is ass
frumplstlskn

Post by frumplstlskn »

It's a good thing that photoshop is better than magic.
Otaku Dash

Post by Otaku Dash »

TcDohl wrote:
Anon_101 wrote:I'd suggest a way to just change the colour of the sprite to user's taste-either an unlockable thing, or just doable at options, if it's not too hard to do?
Unless there's some coding magic I'm not aware of, there is no way to change the girls' hair without making an entirely new sprite.
The only way I think of it would be to seperate Shizune and her hair into two images, and then tweak around with Ren'py s Hue or Alpha options for each image. However it would be a hella problem to work position coordinates for the two images to mend toguether (cause I don't belive blending 100% would be possible with this tech). So it's easier to create new sprites with photoshop just by changing the "hair" layer on the original image.
"Pain is your friend... while you still feel it, you know you are alive"

"How can a nightbringer be the companion of an Angel? ... easy... by smiling"
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Honestly, I don't think the idea of making design specifics of the game user-definable is a good one to begin with. Why not do it with all the characters? Why not let the user supply the character names? The only message that this sends out is "we weren't able to decide", which I don't think is a good one for a creative project.
Otaku Dash

Post by Otaku Dash »

delta wrote:Honestly, I don't think the idea of making design specifics of the game user-definable is a good one to begin with. Why not do it with all the characters? Why not let the user supply the character names? The only message that this sends out is "we weren't able to decide", which I don't think is a good one for a creative project.
Agreed. I was just specifying how it COULD be made, not to say it SHOULD be made :) If the game premises was about "Craft your own charas in a disabled story" then ok, but this isn't what Katawa shoujo is about. Then again this is going slightly offtopic ^^;

My pick goes for dark blue. Brown and drakbrown unfortenately tend for it to look more to the boyish side, and dark blue gives it a more steady feminine presence.. that in contrast with her personality of calm and organized person seems to suit her best. Nuff said.
"Pain is your friend... while you still feel it, you know you are alive"

"How can a nightbringer be the companion of an Angel? ... easy... by smiling"
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Customiseable characters sounds like a horrid idea to me, at least in this VN.
I'm sure that it would make the basis for a good game, however we've already got a lot going on, let alone making a buttload of code and such for a gimmick feature.

I think I've mentioned it before but I'm all for the Dark blue/black/teal. All of them appeal to me in some way/shape or form.

The short hair and the brown/blond just doesn't work.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Peorth
Zenryoku Zenkai!

Post by Peorth »

I agree with crud.
Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stopped, the story will not end.

Whether it's a comedy or a tragedy, if there is cheering, the story will continue on.
Just like the many lives.
For the us who are still in it and still in the journey, send warm blessings.

---We will continue to walk down this path until eternity.
skim

Post by skim »

I'm basically beating a dead horse, but hair color can't just be shopped around to become another color -- for example, for misha's hair, the base tone (mid tone) might be a Barbie pink, but the shadows a slightly blue maroon, the highlights ivory.* If you try to change that hair blue or purple or brown, the brown will just turn black, the highlights will just turn gray, and the hair will look very dull, as if it's in dire need of deep conditioning.

Just look at the bright lively colors in the original teal-haired Shizune(highlights are warm, shadows are cool) VS the darker blue one (hair is overall monotone and overall feeling is dull). In order to alter the colors effectively, there would need to be a different layer for each highlight, base tone, and shadow, and if that's the case, you're quite honestly better of repainting the hair altogether.

*we haven't decided on her colors to absolutely be this, but this is what I'm going by for now.

tl;dr: Hair is not monotone and hacked hair colors look dull so it's not worth it.
TcDohl

Post by TcDohl »

skim wrote:*we haven't decided on her colors to absolutely be this, but this is what I'm going by for now.
As good as the input from others, this decision should be ultimately up to the artist (i.e. you). So what sayeth thee?
<@Delta_Kurshiva> I'm tiny~

[10:43] <@A22> Damn Dohl never changes, all he thinks about is ass