Post by U.T. Raptor »

This thread
Attachments
1206400570159.png
1206400570159.png (29.29 KiB) Viewed 6613 times
stranger

Re: Bad Ends

Post by stranger »

Yeah, can't say I approve of turning Hanako into the cackling villian from a c-grade horror flick. Especially since I thought this game was going for a positive portrayal of disabled people.
remember to take your meds, kids
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

stranger wrote:Yeah, can't say I approve of turning Hanako into the cackling villian from a c-grade horror flick. Especially since I thought this game was going for a positive portrayal of disabled people.
Agreed. It would be bad form for any of the characters to go psycho and deliberately kill or maim someone. It would feel like 4chan had way too much influence on KS. Accidental deaths or injuries would work though, like the Manly Picnic.

Edit: damn, I keep wanting to call KS a "game".
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
davidsonshdw

Post by davidsonshdw »

stranger wrote:Yeah, can't say I approve of turning Hanako into the cackling villian from a c-grade horror flick. Especially since I thought this game was going for a positive portrayal of disabled people.
WASSHOI

Post by WASSHOI »

Validus Razgriz wrote:
Agreed. It would be bad form for any of the characters to go psycho and deliberately kill or maim someone. It would feel like 4chan had way too much influence on KS. Accidental deaths or injuries would work though, like the Manly Picnic.

Edit: damn, I keep wanting to call KS a "game".
I can't exactly see how it would be directly linked to 4chan as an influence, it isn't like yandere girls were completely made for 4chan. I can kinda get it from the sense of "4chan loev dem psychochicks, so we put them in the game just for them <3" but I highly doubt any of the devs are doing anything of the sort. If they put it into the story, I doubt it'd have any influence from 4chan whatsoever.

Who knows, maybe in the final cut there won't be so much monotonous laughter anyway.
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

WASSHOI wrote:I can't exactly see how it would be directly linked to 4chan as an influence, it isn't like yandere girls were completely made for 4chan. I can kinda get it from the sense of "4chan loev dem psychochicks, so we put them in the game just for them <3" but I highly doubt any of the devs are doing anything of the sort. If they put it into the story, I doubt it'd have any influence from 4chan whatsoever.

Who knows, maybe in the final cut there won't be so much monotonous laughter anyway.
I'm talking from an outside perspective about someone who's not familiar with VN's. With the news reports about "4chan making a game", I think those people would very much think that 4chan was able to railroad their ideas into the game. Not that putting in endings like that will make me want to play the game any less. I'll just be either laughing (like during the manly picnic) or crying manly tears during the BAD ENDS. It's just that not putting in those kind of endings will definitely prove to the people who are ignorant about it that 4chan does not have as much influence on the game as they think.

That said, I'm not very familiar with VN's, either. Other than Capcom's Ace Attorney series, KS is my first VN. From what /a/ has been talking about, it does seem that those kind of endings are somewhat popular in VN's. I've been thinking of jumping into some other VN's sometime here.

Edit: I should also mention, I trust what the dev's are doing with the game. They have a much better idea of how they want this story to go than the rest of us, so I'm not trying to influence their story at all. Just throwing my 2 cents in.

Edit of Edit: Dang, again with me wanting to call KS a game, lol. I'm not even going to stop myself anymore.
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
PCJedi

Post by PCJedi »

davidsonshdw wrote:
Looks like Yamaku is set in Hinamizawa if that's the route they're going to take.
Love is Blind. God is Love. Lilly is Blind.

Then, is Lilly God?
Fidelas

Post by Fidelas »

PCJedi wrote:
davidsonshdw wrote:
-SNIP-
Looks like Yamaku is set in Hinamizawa if that's the route they're going to take.
Katawa no Naku Koro Ni?

"When the Cripples Cry" sounds like a terrible title, though.
Emi Footjob -> The Problem Really Is In Your Pants
PCJedi

Post by PCJedi »

Fidelas wrote:
PCJedi wrote:Looks like Yamaku is set in Hinamizawa.
Katawa no Naku Koro Ni?

"When the Cripples Cry" sounds like a terrible title, though.
Ugh, it really does. But somehow still seems like a fitting connection, given how the girls in Higurashi, while not disabled, were still quite troubled.

Then, is Lilly God?
stranger

Post by stranger »

PCJedi wrote:Ugh, it really does. But somehow still seems like a fitting connection, given how the girls in Higurashi, while not disabled, were still quite troubled.
I really think "troubled = will murder the shit out of you" is a message this game should be avoiding like the plague. Especially since there was hype/hope of this having genuine cross-cultural appeal, not to mention being in good taste in general.
remember to take your meds, kids
PCJedi

Post by PCJedi »

stranger wrote:
PCJedi wrote:Ugh, it really does. But somehow still seems like a fitting connection, given how the girls in Higurashi, while not disabled, were still quite troubled.
I really think "troubled = will murder the shit out of you" is a message this game should be avoiding like the plague. Especially since there was hype/hope of this having genuine cross-cultural appeal, not to mention being in good taste in general.
Well yeah, it's a different set of circumstances here, and I wasn't meaning to imply that they'd try going for Yandere-style bad ends here. That said, I never thought Higurashi was as much about the bad ends themselves as it was about the character's search for a way out of the mystery, when all was said and done. But anyway, I don't think it would be appropriate to have those kinds of endings either, given the thematic differences between KS and Higu.

Then, is Lilly God?
Xynar

Post by Xynar »

I'm hesitant to like such a Hanako centric bad end for Lilly's path. Makes me think that Lilly's path will be spent more trying to get Hanako out of her shell rather then getting to know and love Lilly. I guess I'd feel that Lilly's bad end should be more about the MC's failure to woo her properly rather then her friend Hanako. Surely Hanako will be an important part to Lilly's path since Lilly is Hanako's one and only friend, but such a violent ending would be out of place in Katawa Shoujo. Let Lilly have her own bad ending! :D
I choose Lilly... because love is blind!
Minus.ca

Post by Minus.ca »

About the Lilly bad end scene

At one point in the script Hanako had a huge duality to her character and I think that that really helped lend this bad end a little credence. She might still have that duality to her character but it isn't really present in the demo. That post was from a long time ago, and I imagine the endings are even older so they probably seem out of character now with how much re-writing has happened.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

These weren't ever bad endings.

Hanako's "Bad End" was the second scene I wrote as part of Katawa Shoujo, about 2 months before I was even a Dev.

The Emi one was me trying to continue the series. I posted them here to try to generate interest on (what was then) a dead board.

Neither took off.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
disturbedthoughts

Post by disturbedthoughts »

Um...while I feel I'm setting myself up, do the bad endings need to end in death? I mean I understand the dramatic effect and such, as well as how easy it would be to do, but is it really necessary? One or two death endings would be good but having most of them be death endings would be overkill. (pardon the pun :D )
Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is know you will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is knowing that you should try not to be an idiot NOW.