-

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Beoran

Re: Some Nights [Post-Misha Good End]

Post by Beoran »

I enjoyed both Doomish's sad and happy stories. I don't think he has to pigeonhole himself. While the last story of our lives will surely be a bit sad, there will hopefully be many happy stories too. And when our story is over, other people's stories will begin. So I enjoy reading both kinds of stories. :)
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

YOTC wrote:
Doomish wrote:People have been on a kick of calling me predictable recently, and I don't doubt that it's true. My stories have all ended in different manners, but there does seem to be a running trend of "depressing twist right at the end" that I just can't shake. I'm trying to stop doing it, honest. My ongoing stories will reflect this once they come to their own conclusions, believe me.
I happen to like the depressing. Also your "Braving the storm" ends on a perfectly happy note so far. It's actually a much happier story than I anticipated.
Yeah, this. If you're supposed to be depressing and shit you screwed up in BtS, and IMO that's one of your better fics (though I keep having to remind myself that you wrote it! :lol: ).
Girls: Emi = Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune = Rin
Routes: Rin = Shizune > Emi > Lilly = Hanako

BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Hmm. Like I said in Braving the Storm, I went to read another of your works (i.e. this one); only to find I had already read it some weeks ago and simply not posted on it so I didn't remember. Now is the time to rectify that. All that time ago I liked reading your story, in spite of the ending. The same holds true now. I liked the inclusion of Kenji - he's a total dork but still a bro at heart. However, in reading your works so far and from the comments on them, I get the impression you're a depressing story kind of guy. I'm okay with this from a literary standpoint, but from an emotional one... well, perhaps one of them will crack my stone cold exterior and find the gooey, blubbering centre. Wow, that was a weird metaphor.
Cheers, BlackWaltz.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

BlackWaltzTheThird wrote:Hmm. Like I said in Braving the Storm, I went to read another of your works (i.e. this one); only to find I had already read it some weeks ago and simply not posted on it so I didn't remember. Now is the time to rectify that. All that time ago I liked reading your story, in spite of the ending. The same holds true now. I liked the inclusion of Kenji - he's a total dork but still a bro at heart. However, in reading your works so far and from the comments on them, I get the impression you're a depressing story kind of guy. I'm okay with this from a literary standpoint, but from an emotional one... well, perhaps one of them will crack my stone cold exterior and find the gooey, blubbering centre. Wow, that was a weird metaphor.
This was the only one that rang true for me in that fashion, actually. Cutter was too drawn out (and required too much derpishness on Lilly's part to keep running), which With Apologies took that problem and added fakeout syndrome and a liberal dose of "wait, why are we doing this again?" on top of it. But Some Nights . . . man. It's hard to believe it was written by the same guy. Instead of drawn out, pointless angst we got some genuine bittersweet emotion in this story, and at least in my case it hit me like a hammer. IMO it's easily one of Doomish's best works.
Girls: Emi = Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune = Rin
Routes: Rin = Shizune > Emi > Lilly = Hanako

kuniqs

Post by kuniqs »

I expected how it would end but then it's your trademark. I know how it will end and still want to read it, and read it again.
If you'll end Little Faith on good or even bittersweet note I'll "learn anatomy to be sure how to break every bone" :evil:
Morph

Post by Morph »

Doomish wrote: "I'm not good at Risk either." I mutter, which makes Misha throw back her head and laugh, second round of whiskey in her hand. She is by no standards a lightweight, able to handle far more alcohol than myself before getting even the slightest bit tipsy.
[...]
I stand my wife up long enough to get the keys out of my pocket, and then, just as I did on the day we were married- though she's far thinner now, so there's much less difficulty in my strain and grunts -carry her into the house. Her initial medications for her ever-looming sickness made her usually never ceasing appetite all but vanish, and the chubby girl she used to be was a thing of the past. She was far less than the kind of thin most men are interested in, but I've told her time and time again that I'm perfectly fine with the way she is, and if she decides to change, I'll be perfectly fine with that too.
Just wanted to point that out. Otherwise nice story. Keep up the good work.
Doomish

Post by Doomish »

The term "lightweight" in regards to drinking refers to someone who is unable to handle very much alcohol before becoming drunk. It doesn't really apply to actual, physical weight in that context.

The more you know~

edit: Unless you're talking about something that I'm missing, in which case whoooooops.
Morph

Post by Morph »

Doomish wrote:The term "lightweight" in regards to drinking refers to someone who is unable to handle very much alcohol before becoming drunk. It doesn't really apply to actual, physical weight in that context.

The more you know~

edit: Unless you're talking about something that I'm missing, in which case whoooooops.
No, that's what I meant. Didn't know they call them that way in English, so sorry to have accused you of making such a mistake.
Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

That ending was cruel, man.
turbulentDuvet

Post by turbulentDuvet »

Doomish, thanks for the tears, seriously. I've played through most of KS and it's wonderful to come across a FF that tugs on my hearstrings just as well as the game. Please continue with these beautiful pieces of work.
People are like chemicals, they only need to come together once and they can change eachother forever.