Kotaku Review

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Enemy |

Re: Kotaku Review

Post by Enemy | »

Fretless wrote:He's mentioned his feelings on visual novels in general before.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... s-With-You
Why am I not surprised

Regarding the actual Review the OP mentioned, I agree except on the Music part. I guess if you're going to do all 5 routes in one sitting the songs can get a little boring, but I thought they were pretty great even when I was already 4-hours-in the game. Still listen to the soundtrack from time to time.
I remember when I got to the first sex scene I was actually surprised. I had completely forgotten about sex in the game and was like "woah hey what's going on here" while Emi stripped on top of me.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

I've been listening to the KS soundtrack for essentially 2 months straight. Still not bored of it.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
Kayo12

Post by Kayo12 »

I think it was a fairly well written and fair review. I don't agree with him on the music, though. The KS soundtrack is...my God, those songs just evoke so much emotion.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Mirrormn wrote:I've been listening to the KS soundtrack for essentially 2 months straight. Still not bored of it.
Kayo12 wrote:I think it was a fairly well written and fair review. I don't agree with him on the music, though. The KS soundtrack is...my God, those songs just evoke so much emotion.
I wholeheartedly agree. I just listened to the whole soundtrack the other day after reading the Favorite Music thread, and its amazing. I don't even have a favorite song anymore, I love every song.
megiddo

Post by megiddo »

heh heh, i can imagine the surprise of the people who choose to disable the adult content when they see the naked sprites afterward.
Woody Alien

Post by Woody Alien »

I never really cared about Kotaku, so I read this review without bias (and maybe that's why I judged HG101's own review so badly...) and found it fair, nice and well-researched. I agree on the most part of it.

The flame war in the comments is boring as hell though, it's essentially "sex scenes are appropriate/inappropriate" over and over again. But that's not really part of the review...
Katawa Shoujo is a game that, by all accounts, shouldn't exist, but it does and we're happier because of it!
Shizune è una porcona

Click here for real-life Misha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daddy_mulk/8637512452/
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

That was a good review; it was nice to see that they had spent more than an hour playing it. Like you said, the comments weren't exactly edifying though. I suppose one can't expect rarefied gentlemanly discourse everywhere though. :wink:
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

I for one discovered the game thanks to Kotaku's review, so I am very glad of it. I hadn't even heard of the "game" before that, and now I've finished all of the stories and I love it. I do sorta agree with them on the music, actually - the music overall is great, and I love some of the songs, but if you play the stories somewhat back to back, you reach a point where you can guess which song is going to play for the current scene.
Mirrormn

Post by Mirrormn »

Dreamer wrote:you reach a point where you can guess which song is going to play for the current scene.
I'd say that's merely an indication of effective, consistent, and appropriate music direction. The music is not supposed to surprise you all the time; it's supposed to set and enhance the mood and feeling of the story.
Katawa Shoujo OST Transcriptions and Arrangements: Consolidated list

Katawa Shoujo Music Index and Table of Contents

Game completion: 100% several times over
Favorite route: Rin
Insights on Rin | Insights on Shizune
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

First line in review is not "WTF Japan"
I am impressed
$50 says I live more South than all of you
yummines

Post by yummines »

inquisitivenegro wrote:First line in review is not "WTF Japan"
I am impressed
well the game isnt made by Japanese people in the first place so...
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

yummines wrote:
inquisitivenegro wrote:First line in review is not "WTF Japan"
I am impressed
well the game isnt made by Japanese people in the first place so...
exactly...
$50 says I live more South than all of you
mnbvcxz11

Post by mnbvcxz11 »

Mirrormn wrote:
Dreamer wrote:you reach a point where you can guess which song is going to play for the current scene.
I'd say that's merely an indication of effective, consistent, and appropriate music direction. The music is not supposed to surprise you all the time; it's supposed to set and enhance the mood and feeling of the story.
I totally agree. I think it's actually cool that I can guess which song is going to play, cuz as Mirrormn wrote - for me it pretty much sets the mood, and also gives some kind of familiar feeling :D
Hanako>Lilly>Rin=Emi=Shizune
i can't really write in english, i am not native english speaker, sorry :c