Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Babli

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Babli »

So I decided to run in the morning today...and it was awesome. I have no idea where this enthusiasm is coming from. I finished the game in January, when it came out and wasnt very interested in running. I was more affected by Rin, so I decided to push forward with writing of my novel, which I am currently halfway through. But here I am, today, running in the morning, when I could easily sleep for another three hours and I feel good.

I just need some better shoes. Any recommendations? I read somewhere, that running shoes are actually causing injuries and running barefooted is much better, but I dont have beach right outside my house (or country for that matter lol), so I cant do that.
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

Babli wrote:I just need some better shoes. Any recommendations?
You're getting into a big discussion here, like AK vs. M-16 (or Lily vs. Shizune).

The barefoot running agenda is gathering more and more supporters, but it's still in minority, and the word is the debate is made hot by producers of "natural shoes", used for "barefoot" running, aka. natural running.
Still it is not quite safe to run bare (or in "natural" shoes) in most areas, and running on other shoes with flat soles (sneakers?) is debatable still. I myself was getting some feet pain, and additional strain on my knees (grumpy as they are) trying to run on flat, hard soles.

Now, I'm still using the cheapest model from Decathlon's own brand (I guess the chainstore is european, but I read somewhere they have some shops in south-america, and USA/Canada have their own brands for sure).
Not exactly gel-soles, or air-system the real shoes have, but still the shoes have pity on my soles and knees, and they are holding together still.
Of course you could look for some pricier brands, and some sport-shoes stores can have your foot tested, measured, tickled, and get you a shoe and insole designed specifically for your own way of running, and for every foot separately (there's a whole science about how you put your foot down).
I don't have much of those fancy, rustling papers in my wallet lately, so I stay with the cheap ones.
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

StepmaniaFreak wrote:It certainly doesn't sound hard but if you're like me you're sitting almost 90% of the day. My daily exercise involves getting up, walking down the hallway, and going into the bathroom. I don't even remember the last time I ran, period. I'm fairly skinny (so everyone says) but I know I don't have any actual stamina. I can run pretty fast but I'm always exhausted after a decent sprint. Every single time I had to run the mile at school, I'd be gasping for air by the time I was done, which was generally around 8 minutes after starting. I spend too much time sitting indoors...no thanks to my hobbies (Damn you, piano!).
Yeah, we're practically the same. (Cept' I probably play more games.) Well, i'll do my best with this get into shape. (I ain't fat or anything just really out of shape...and getting a little fat coz of Skyrim...damn that game.)
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
Akros

Post by Akros »

ZXRN wrote:
StepmaniaFreak wrote:It certainly doesn't sound hard but if you're like me you're sitting almost 90% of the day. My daily exercise involves getting up, walking down the hallway, and going into the bathroom. I don't even remember the last time I ran, period. I'm fairly skinny (so everyone says) but I know I don't have any actual stamina. I can run pretty fast but I'm always exhausted after a decent sprint. Every single time I had to run the mile at school, I'd be gasping for air by the time I was done, which was generally around 8 minutes after starting. I spend too much time sitting indoors...no thanks to my hobbies (Damn you, piano!).
Yeah, we're practically the same. (Cept' I probably play more games.) Well, i'll do my best with this get into shape. (I ain't fat or anything just really out of shape...and getting a little fat coz of Skyrim...damn that game.)
then you better avoid Diablo III since it's coming out on the 15th I think xD
got to say I'm just like you 2, but change the gaming thing to reading manga most of the time and there you have it
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
Babli

Post by Babli »

NoOne3 wrote:
Babli wrote:I just need some better shoes. Any recommendations?
The barefoot running agenda is gathering more and more supporters, but it's still in minority, and the word is the debate is made hot by producers of "natural shoes", used for "barefoot" running, aka. natural running.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Everytime, so many people start to praise something out of nowhere, it seems fishy to me.
Now, I'm still using the cheapest model from Decathlon's own brand (I guess the chainstore is european, but I read somewhere they have some shops in south-america, and USA/Canada have their own brands for sure).
I am from Europe :) funny, just a month ago, Decathlon started to build their new shop centre in my town. But it will be finished in November, so I try some other sport shops and ask people right there. I too, dont have that much money to spent them on expensive running shoes, so I´ll just grab something cheap. As usual :roll:
ZXRN

Post by ZXRN »

Akros wrote:
ZXRN wrote:
then you better avoid Diablo III since it's coming out on the 15th I think xD
got to say I'm just like you 2, but change the gaming thing to reading manga most of the time and there you have it
Yes, reading manga seems to be more tiring than playing...wonder why? That gunslinger girl manga will also inspire you to be physically fit! (coz just imagining that little girls are better than you at running and pretty much any physical stuff will make a man sad.)
I'll do my best to be my Emiest.
StepmaniaFreak

Post by StepmaniaFreak »

I've heard stories of guys that started crying on extremely long marathons when they were passed by a girl...who was blind.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

StepmaniaFreak wrote:I've heard stories of guys that started crying on extremely long marathons when they were passed by a girl...who was blind.
Why would anyone cry about that?
I'd be happy for the girl
StepmaniaFreak

Post by StepmaniaFreak »

Something about training for over a year for events like that. Of course, the blind girl worked out almost 30 some hours a week so...yea, some people just break when all their hard work gets bested by a girl.

Edit: I can't remember the exact details of the event, but it wasn't just running; swimming and biking were part of it too, I think.
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

StepmaniaFreak wrote:I've heard stories of guys that started crying on extremely long marathons when they were passed by a girl...who was blind.
It must take a heck of a lot of courage to run when blind, on an unknown track. And the ability to accept that you're going to fall over repeatedly before the end of the marathon.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

StepmaniaFreak wrote:Something about training for over a year for events like that. Of course, the blind girl worked out almost 30 some hours a week so...yea, some people just break when all their hard work gets bested by a girl.

Edit: I can't remember the exact details of the event, but it wasn't just running; swimming and biking were part of it too, I think.
Does those exact details include a guide running side by side with the girl, riding front on the tandem bike, and a tapper during swimming competition? It's barely plausible without it, more like made up, almost.

And I really can't understand the crying part. Was he trying to win the whole marathon after just a year of training? Was the reason being overtook by a disabled person, or more because it was (gasp!) a girl?
A reasonable, unconceited person, should be aware, that even with some proficiency in any kind of activity (being it running, swimming, chess or counter-strike) there are inevitably many people better then himself, and that significant part of them would be female.
ZXRN wrote:That gunslinger girl manga will also inspire you to be physically fit! (coz just imagining that little girls fitted with cybernetic implants consisting of synthesized muscles and carbon fiber frames, resulting in heightened strength and reflexes as well as high resilience to damage and pain, are better than you at running and pretty much any physical stuff will make a man sad.)
There, I've read some of that so I fixed it for you. No need to thank me.

Also those girls were pretty psychopatically homicidal, as little girls go.
ook

Post by ook »

As far as the barefoot thing, I've been doing it barefoot. It's alright. I'm glad to say I haven't gotten any shin splints or other injuries yet.
I also haven't stepped on anything sharp, and I just run on the paths and sidewalks around town (although I used to walk around barefoot for a while before I started so my feet were already pretty tough).

It feels like it would be a lot more comfortable in shoes (some of those sidewalks are kind of janky, lol), but I think that's kind of the idea - to be a "regulator" so you don't run too hard and hurt yourself. It makes you focus on stepping as lightly as possible (and thus puts less strain on your legs), to learn to run on pavement without your feet hurting.

But yeah I don't think there's a definite answer. shoes work too

Enemy | wrote:
Why would anyone cry about that?
I'd be happy for the girl
maybe they were tears of joy :lol:
Gilrond

Post by Gilrond »

Yeah, I decided to do this. It felt really great to actually get off my butt and get some exercise for a change. I managed to hold out an entire week before I came down with a knee injury, apparently my running technique is abysmal. I haven't given up though, I just have to heal first. Stupid body not keeping up with my ambitious lifestyle changes...
Last edited by Gilrond on Thu May 03, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Althamus wrote:
It must take a heck of a lot of courage to run when blind, on an unknown track. And the ability to accept that you're going to fall over repeatedly before the end of the marathon.
Blind runners have guides with them, who basically run alongside them so that the person knows where to turn and stuff.
At least that's how it works on the Paraolympics and all.
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Enemy | wrote:
Althamus wrote:
Blind runners have guides with them, who basically run alongside them so that the person knows where to turn and stuff.
At least that's how it works on the Paraolympics and all.
I'd expect that, otherwise it'd be pretty impossible :P

But still, uneven road surfaces etc. If you are going slowly, you can adapt your foot to the ground slightly and avoid a poor step, if you're running I would've thought you wouldn't have a chance to do that. And try examining the ground in front of you, then closing your eyes and walking across it. I know closing your eyes isn't the same as being blind etc, but still, I couldn't imagine closing my eyes and running at all.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101