Widescreen monitor support?

Vertical

Re: Widescreen monitor support?

Post by Vertical »

DrZaius wrote:The cable that plugs into the computer needs to be a DVI cable, you're currently using a VGA cable. You might've gotten a DVI cable with the monitor, they have like a white/cream coloured plug instead of the blue of a VGA cable. If your video card has a matching plug for it is a different question... if it does (maybe your current plug is plugged in via an adaptor like mine was?), you can just swap the cables over, and it'll work. You might need to press like a source button or something on the monitor to tell it you're using a different input now.
1080p TV user here. I'm using a VGA for my pc to HDTV connection. That must be why my Nvidia control panel > Display tree doesn't have the "Change Flat Panel Scaling" option currently.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll try that theory out after I get back from work.
Imagine me and you...
tyren

Post by tyren »

Panuru wrote:Running it at 1920 x 1080 in windowed mode worked pretty well for me. It took up most of the screen vertically, so the size was just fine.
I'd like to know how you managed that. Vertically the game only takes up half of my screen and my monitor is 1920x1080...
Xevo

Post by Xevo »

tyren wrote:
Panuru wrote:Running it at 1920 x 1080 in windowed mode worked pretty well for me. It took up most of the screen vertically, so the size was just fine.
I'd like to know how you managed that. Vertically the game only takes up half of my screen and my monitor is 1920x1080...
Just to point it out, a monitor itself is measured in inches. The resolution can be adjusted anyway you'd like (as far as your graphic card will go anyway).
"Anal." - Emi
"I merely have a healthy adolescent sex drive." - Lilly
"The problem is in your pants." - Rin
"I'll tutor you." - Misha
"...?" - Shizune

I approve.
Lattyware

Post by Lattyware »

Xevo wrote:
tyren wrote:
Just to point it out, a monitor itself is measured in inches. The resolution can be adjusted anyway you'd like (as far as your graphic card will go anyway).
Yes, but flat panel monitors look horrible at anything other than native resolution due to poor scaling.
Sturm

Post by Sturm »

Lattyware wrote: Yes, but flat panel monitors look horrible at anything other than native resolution due to poor scaling.
Indeed they do.
That is why you can turn off scaling in the drivers with Nvidia and ATI. (I cannot speak for Intel GMA users as I have never actually used a system with one)

The downside to doing that is you end up with a small, but clear image.
Burning Earth!

Post by Guest »

I play on a 1920x1200 as well, and it works great in fullscreen with black bars. I also just so happen to have an Nvidia. Provided you have the latest drivers, and aren't on SLi, it should work fine. In the NV control panel, find Change flat panel scaling, and select Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio. Should work then. Works for me, at least.
tyren

Post by tyren »

Xevo wrote:
tyren wrote:
To clarify, then, my monitor is SET to 1920x1080 (which is its native resolution). The point is, the person I was replying to said they ran it AT 1920x1080 with the window taking up most of the screen vertically, and I'd like to know how they pulled that off. :P
SatansBestBuddy

Post by SatansBestBuddy »

The thing I'm wondering is, why isn't the game widescreen only?

I mean, you fullscreen a widesreen game on a 4:3 CRT, and it looks great!

You fullscreen a widescreen game on a 16:10 LCD, and it looks great!

But if you fulllscreen a 800x600 game, and it looks like great on the CRT and crap on anything with a widescreen display, unless they have specilized drivers. (I've checked, and I don't have them, which means I'm stuck with the game at the size of a portable DVD players screen)

I mean, it just makes sense.
Rule #1 of the Internet: It does not matter what you like, your reasons for liking it, and how much you like it, somebody out there hates you for liking it.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

SatansBestBuddy wrote:I mean, you fullscreen a widesreen game on a 4:3 CRT, and it looks great!.
No it doesn't.
tyren

Post by tyren »

delta wrote:
SatansBestBuddy wrote:I mean, you fullscreen a widesreen game on a 4:3 CRT, and it looks great!.
No it doesn't.
True that.

On another note, I started using the Windows 7 beta (was using XP before) and my problem with the game stretching when I widescreen it mysteriously vanished. Black bars ahoy!

Now if only Starcraft would do the same thing...
SatansBestBuddy

Post by SatansBestBuddy »

delta wrote:
No it doesn't.
Right, so I'm using DVD's on a friends computer for reference, but they looked great, so I figured the same logic could be applied to a widescreen game, thus, it would look just fine.

Oh well, my two cents aren't worth one, that's nice to know...
Rule #1 of the Internet: It does not matter what you like, your reasons for liking it, and how much you like it, somebody out there hates you for liking it.
tyren

Post by tyren »

SatansBestBuddy wrote:Right, so I'm using DVD's on a friends computer for reference, but they looked great, so I figured the same logic could be applied to a widescreen game, thus, it would look just fine.

Oh well, my two cents aren't worth one, that's nice to know...
Movies work differently, it seems like. With games when I tried switching to a widescreen resolution on a non-widescreen monitor, it didn't create the black bars, just squished everything. :(