RenPy update?

HoverBacon

RenPy update?

Post by HoverBacon »

Will KS update its version of RenPy before release? I ask because in version 6.11.0 they added hardware acceleration (which would be a quite nice feature to have), and any reference to which version KS currently uses I've been able to find points to KS using a previous version. So, any chance of an update?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: RenPy update?

Post by Aura »

Delta might answer in more detail, but basically it's very unlikely because KS essentially runs on a unique, custom fork of Ren'py 6.10 and updating all the engine hacks and extensions has been difficult and frustrating in the past, to the extent that after spending three-ish months on updating from 6.9 to 6.10 delta decided it's not worth it to update further.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Pretty unlikely, 6.12 changed the way text is rendered so I'd have to do all menu layouts again. Also, a lot of effects are very glitchy in 6.12. And that's just the errors I found at first glance, who knows what else is broken.
they added hardware acceleration (which would be a quite nice feature to have)
Yes, if your primary concern is a feature checklist. It doesn't make much of a difference in real-world terms.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Hardware acceleration in a VN (that doesn't utilize real-time effects or something else that would otherwise be a CPU hog) is like shooting clay pigeons with a heavy machinegun. Sure, it works but it's a little silly, you don't need all that extra power and inconvenience.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Oh, you'd be surprised how CPU-intensive some graphics operations can be, especially when you're animating them. The thing is though, on systems where this comes into play, OpenGL performance is usually not much better.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

delta wrote:Oh, you'd be surprised how CPU-intensive some graphics operations can be, especially when you're animating them. The thing is though, on systems where this comes into play, OpenGL performance is usually not much better.
I used to have such a system, and frankly I thought this would be sorta obvious so didn't bother mentioning it.