Error on Startup

kapparomeo

Error on Startup

Post by kapparomeo »

I am currently using v4 of Act 1, on Vista Home. This problem has persisted despite multiple re-installs so I don't believe it to be an error with installation.

My copy of the game will not run. On clicking the icon to open the program I am met with this error message:

Code: Select all

Cannot find the C:\WINDOWS\System32\traceback.txt file.

Do you want to create a new file?

Yes/No/Cancel
Notepad also opens simultaeneously with this message.

I suppose that I could just click "Yes" and create a traceback.txt file, but naturally I really don't want to fiddle around with anything inside System32 unless I must, and have reassurance from people more tech-adept than me that I'm not going to make my computer explode by doing so. Is anyone familiar at all with what is happening here?

Thanks in advance.
There was a young clerk who took exception to Curzon's memorandum. He thought it was balls. But he was afraid to say so directly, so he scratched faintly in the margin, 'Round Objects'. Lord Curzon replied in a note: "Who is Mr. Round, and why does he object?"
-Sir Alan Lascelles
kapparomeo

Re: Error on Startup

Post by kapparomeo »

I'm sorry to bump, but doesn't anyone recognise this problem at all?
There was a young clerk who took exception to Curzon's memorandum. He thought it was balls. But he was afraid to say so directly, so he scratched faintly in the margin, 'Round Objects'. Lord Curzon replied in a note: "Who is Mr. Round, and why does he object?"
-Sir Alan Lascelles
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

It seems like the game crashed and wants to open a traceback, but the path to the traceback is wrong (the message you describe is almost certainly not coming from the game, but from your operating system). These are two distinct problems; look into the game folder for a file called traceback.txt and paste the contents of it here, because fixing the cause of the crash is more important than fixing how to display the file.
kapparomeo

Post by kapparomeo »

Ah... well, unfortunately in the last few days my computer has suffered a hard disk failure, which has made the game's startup failure a bit moot. :oops:

I'll try again once I get a new PC - in the meantime, thanks for your help, Delta.
-Sir Alan Lascelles
kapparomeo

Post by kapparomeo »

I'm happy to close the file on this issue now. It must have been a problem with my old flagging computer - now that I've switched to a new machine, I've breezed through a playthrough without so much as a squeak of complaint from the game.

Thanks again to delta for his guidance, and to everyone else for reading about and considering the matter.
-Sir Alan Lascelles