Known technical issues & workarounds

delta
Feels Badman

Re: Known technical issues & workarounds

Post by delta »

[4ls]_katawa_shoujo_act_1_v3_[mac][2B37B8B2].dmg (as downoaded from the mirrors) mounts fine for me on 10.6.3.

You can try to check the file hashes, which will at least definitely make certain the files are not corrupted if they are correct. Open the terminal, cd to the folder the downloaded file is in, and enter the following:

Code: Select all

crc32 [4ls]_katawa_shoujo_act_1_v3_[mac][2B37B8B2].dmg
should give you 2b37b8b2 (as in the file name).

Code: Select all

md5 [4ls]_katawa_shoujo_act_1_v3_[mac][2B37B8B2].dmg
should return 3f1950d741e133e088b7a7cf42a1c88d.
Aozaki Aoka

Post by Aozaki Aoka »

Thanks i'll try that.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Just pointed a friend to KS.
She downloaded the file (DDL/Windows) without problems but has an error on installing:
installer intergrity check hes failed. common causes include incomplete download and damaged media. contact the installer's autor to obtain a new copy.
I cannot reproduce the problem on my PC. Works fine here.
Does anyone know the problem and how to solve it?
Thanks for your help.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Just pointed a friend to KS.
She downloaded the file (DDL/Windows) without problems but has an error on installing:
installer intergrity check hes failed. common causes include incomplete download and damaged media. contact the installer's autor to obtain a new copy.
I cannot reproduce the problem on my PC. Works fine here.
Does anyone know the problem and how to solve it?
Thanks for your help.
Redownload.
CEOofPwnage

Post by CEOofPwnage »

My game progress seems to be gone, although i still have my saves. (jukebox, gallery, etc. all empty)

Sorry about lack of information. Using Vista :( . I've been playing Act 1 (v4) so it shouldn't be me installing a newer version over an older one. I did some searching through the support forums as well and did not find anything to help me with my problem, and I had already looked at the thread you linked, so then I posted here.

I believe it's probable that i accidentally deleted where the save data is, but then wouldn't my saves be gone as well, and not just my jukebox, gallery, etc being empty.

I did make a copy of the game folder and put it in a truecrypt file, but then i just deleted the copy of the game and i'm running the game through where i installed it to.

I am running the game from my flashdrive though, although it is only recently that my progress was lost.

I hope there is enough information now :D .
Last edited by CEOofPwnage on Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
???
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

You're not telling us anything relevant that might help in solving your problem.

What OS do you use? Did you do anything that could have caused deletion of the files where progress is stored? Did you uninstall a previous version of KS Act 1 and install a more recent one? Did you check in the Support forums for a thread where something similar happened? Does this thread help you to solve your problem?

If "I have this problem" is all you say, we can't do much more than reply "sorry to hear about it".
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Zorda

Post by Zorda »

I'm not sure this is the proper place for a bug report, but anyway: it seems impossible to get full screen working on OS X Lion (10.7.1), though I haven't been able to test it on other system configurations or with previous versions of Act 1 so I can't confirm if this is relevant only for Lion users or not.
Every time I try to enter full screen mode, be it during the game by pressing F or via the Preferences window, it fades into a black full screen and then disappears (the window disappears, the game hangs). I suspect this is related to Python or the SDL rather than to this particular VN, and if it is then it's probably a known bug, but I think it was worth reporting anyway.
I'm talking about Act 1 v5, by the way.
The dream of the future you see dissolves,
And with time, so does the apprehension.
The world under sun is no exception,
And all you see around you evolves […]
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

I just downloaded the Act 1 v5 disk image ([4ls]_katawa_shoujo_act1_v5_[mac][4392C128].dmg) and it seems to work fine under OS/X 10.6.8 (was using v3 which also worked fine)...
DarkMeph

Post by DarkMeph »

Having the same issues as Zorda using OS X Lion 10.7.1 I am using the act 1 v4. Going into full screen I get a black full screen and then disappears. The Icon on my dock still there but it has hung up causing me to use force quit. I have checked my Apple Mac Console and I get this message . 30/09/2011 09:40:53.633 Katawa Shoujo Act 1: CGDisplayBaseAddress is obsolete and returning NULL for display 0x4272900

just noticed another console message relating to KS
30/09/2011 09:40:43.947 Katawa Shoujo Act 1: Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.

I have tried putting my mac into 1024 by 768 and still get the same effect as above.

DarkMeph
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

If you want to do me a favor, you can download the latest Ren'Py SDK (http://www.renpy.org/dl/6.13.0/renpy-6.13.0-sdk.zip) and check that phenomenon is fixed in that version (just start the demo game). It's still highly unlikely that the final game will ship with a new engine, but I'd at least like to know if the problem is already fixed at all, given how sketchy Ren'Py's OS X support is.
DarkMeph

Post by DarkMeph »

I do not mind trying that for you. I will download it a bit later. I will get back to you when I have found anything out.
I have downloaded the ren'py sdk and extracted it. From what you said I just need to launch the demo. If that the tutorial game then full screen modes works for that.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

OK, googling for the CGDisplayBaseAddress is obsolete and returning NULL for display error, it's a common problem in breaking full-screen mode on a lot of games.

Ren'py uses SDL which is where the call comes from; as of about two weeks ago, SDL was testing a fix for this bug:
http://forums.libsdl.org/viewtopic.php? ... 9f5a71cb5b
Howver, it doesn't appear that this fix is in the latest released version of SDL (1.2.14 http://www.libsdl.org/release/changes-1.2.html)

Ren'py appears to be using SDL 1.2.13 since 6.10.0.

If SDL 1.2 gets another version that fixes this bug, it might work to swap the new SDL libraries in. Or it might crash and burn.
DarkMeph

Post by DarkMeph »

Yeah that could be a option. I am running two version of KS one is v4 which has all my data in and other one is v5 which I do not mind testing things on. I also have a copy of OS 10.6.8 on an external hard drive so if we cannot get it fixed in can always use that to play KS in full screen.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Apparently GL-enabled versions of Ren'Py managed to avoid the issue by sheer chance. Needless to say, this is very bad news for me.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

It looks like it only affects the latest OS/X (Lion aka 10.7.x) and only breaks full screen mode; earlier OS/X versions work, and window mode works in 10.7.x. But it's nearly certain that this will remain broken for all subsequent releases of OS/X.

I don't know if this note to disable OpenGL and use software rendering will help.