Widescreen monitor support?

DrZaius

Widescreen monitor support?

Post by DrZaius »

I did a search, but couldn't find anything related...

I'm loving the demo right now, but as a user of a widescreen monitor (1920x1200), I've found I either need to pick windowed mode and play the game in a tiny box, or fullscreen, stretched to fill the whole screen... is there a chance for widescreen support of some sort? Black bars down the side to maintain the aspect ratio would be welcome relief.
Axeman

Re: Widescreen monitor support?

Post by Axeman »

I was wondering about that myself.
The game.
You have lost it.
Zomb1e13

Post by Zomb1e13 »

Those are settings in your video driver. For Nvidia you go under display to "change flat panel scaling" and change it to "Use my display's built-in scaling" and it should work. I am not to sure about ATI drivers as i don't use them.
ZettoSan

Post by ZettoSan »

All my monitors are widescreen, and I prefer to play it in full screen because I can just let myself et absorbed in the atmosphere.

Well, I wish I could. The stretched pictures kinda break the experience for me.
I won't say 'See you tomorrow' because that would be like predicting the future, and I'm pretty sure I can't do that.
Eksopl

Post by Eksopl »

Fullscreen makes the screen switch to 800x600 mode, so it depends on how your graphics card/monitor handles that mode. My TV displays black bars.

Like it was already said, depending on your graphics card's drivers, it should be configurable.
ChaosEngine

Post by ChaosEngine »

The 800x600 display looks rather distorted on my widescreen monitor, but that's only a minor annoyance, as I tend to play in Windowed Mode anyway.
Zorg

Post by Zorg »

I myself would like something that cures the fullscreen problem.
like, it'd detect the screen res. and use that instead of 800x600. (not related to widescreen supprot, but meh)
<Zorg> Then he has sey with you
<Axiomatic> HAVE SOY WITH ME, KENJI
<Pato2747> I'm tempted to say "YEAH EVERY DAY I FEEL LIKE I'M EMI SO I CHOPPED OFF MY LEGS"
Hungarian tl. progress: progressing again circa 2013 TWO YEARS LATER... but still planned.
2019 update: TL DEAD since a few years, possibly will never happen.
Kapisketo

Post by Kapisketo »

For widescreen it would be a pain because they'll need to redraw everything, but maybe there could be some way to add some black borders at left and right in the full screen mode to keep de aspect ration.
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Kapisketo wrote:For widescreen it would be a pain because they'll need to redraw everything, but maybe there could be some way to add some black borders at left and right in the full screen mode to keep de aspect ration.
I know there is a way to do that. I have an NVidia card, and this is how I do it

Control Panel > NVidia Control Panel > Display > Change Flat Panel Scaling > Use NVidia scaling with fixed-aspect ratio

This give me black bars on full screen to maintain aspect ratio rather than stretching. I used to have an ATi card on my last laptop, but I can't remember how to do it. Just go to display settings (or Personalize if you're on Vista) and try to find the advanced settings button that goes to your specific video card. Look around there.
静音是买外夫
BustRobot

Post by BustRobot »

Warwick wrote:
Control Panel > NVidia Control Panel > Display > Change Flat Panel Scaling > Use NVidia scaling with fixed-aspect ratio
Okay, I've gone through this but the option for changing the flat panel scaling is simply not there. It isn't even grayed out, just not there. I've looked around and it says something about having to have my monitor connected through either DVI or HDMI, and being that I'm not particular familiar with this kind of computer stuff at all, I'm at a loss.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Open up our narrow minds.
Lattyware

Post by Lattyware »

BustRobot wrote:
Warwick wrote:
Okay, I've gone through this but the option for changing the flat panel scaling is simply not there. It isn't even grayed out, just not there. I've looked around and it says something about having to have my monitor connected through either DVI or HDMI, and being that I'm not particular familiar with this kind of computer stuff at all, I'm at a loss.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
There are two places things get scaled, one is the graphics card, one is the monitor.

In theory, you can change the scaling at each. By default, most stretch as much as possible. If you can't do it from either, you are out of luck, the only way would be to increase resolution of the ouput (the game) which can't be done for art reasons.
BustRobot

Post by BustRobot »

Lattyware wrote:
In theory, you can change the scaling at each. By default, most stretch as much as possible. If you can't do it from either, you are out of luck, the only way would be to increase resolution of the ouput (the game) which can't be done for art reasons.

Ah well, no worries then. It would've been nice to get it full-screened to scale, but it's not esstial and it certainly doesn't take away from my enjoyment factor.
Open up our narrow minds.
Eksopl

Post by Eksopl »

Kapisketo wrote:For widescreen it would be a pain because they'll need to redraw everything, but maybe there could be some way to add some black borders at left and right in the full screen mode to keep de aspect ration.
The backgrounds are widescreen, actually. I wonder if they're planning a real, sans black bars, widescreen mode or something.
Panuru

Post by Panuru »

Running it at 1920 x 1080 in windowed mode worked pretty well for me. It took up most of the screen vertically, so the size was just fine.
DrZaius

Post by DrZaius »

Thanks for the advice on the scaling, guys. I... er... liberated a spare DVI cable from work, and since my video card and monitor has the appropriate plugs for it, it worked straight away. It looks much better now :D
BustRobot wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
The cable that plugs into the computer needs to be a DVI cable, you're currently using a VGA cable. You might've gotten a DVI cable with the monitor, they have like a white/cream coloured plug instead of the blue of a VGA cable. If your video card has a matching plug for it is a different question... if it does (maybe your current plug is plugged in via an adaptor like mine was?), you can just swap the cables over, and it'll work. You might need to press like a source button or something on the monitor to tell it you're using a different input now.