Re: Act1 Walkthrought, 100% & Individual paths

Post by Warwick »

Teach me, Kenji-Sensei!
Feminist Conspiracy Dojo!
静音是买外夫
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

Hmm...I suppose this would be the proper place for it. I doubt anyone will find it useful, but I spent a few hours making it anyway, so here it is.
This is just a first draft, and may be somewhat inaccurate as far as the game's actual decision making process is. (I've seen a point system referred to several times.)

I intend to recreate it with refrences to which scenes and decisions are which and the order they appear in, but it'll be a while before I'll be able to get around to it. I'll also be prettying up and rearranging that convoluted mess at the bottom so it's easier to follow.
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

May I suggest using OpenOffice Draw or some other flowchart-making program to tame this unholy mess?
静音是买外夫
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

Warwick wrote:May I suggest using OpenOffice Draw or some other flowchart-making program to tame this unholy mess?
That's what I intend. I just used MS Paint for a quick mock-up to frame it all in my head before I start looking for software. (The previous incarnation, a post-it note wall-covering monstrosity, proved inadequate.) I'm new to the art of flowchart, so any tips, corrections, suggestions, or hazings would be appreciated. :)
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

No problems, post up whatever you've got later on and I'll try to help.
静音是买外夫
NichtDu

Post by NichtDu »

BustRobot wrote:I'm looking to get the scene in between "Invisible Hat" and "Slow Recovery", but so far I've found nothing. (Another stuck at 98% completion, just want 100% for completionists sake.) Would someone be kind enough to enlighten me on how to get it? I've tried doing what GoldenCrater suggested with the Shizune route then switching to Emi, but no luck. (Already have that scene from the looks of it.)

Thanks in advance.
I'm missing the exact same scene D:
I'm trying to get it now :D
Edit:
Got 100% :D
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

Alrighty, here's my first attempt at using OpenOffice Draw. I think it is much easier to follow now, but I added some very abbreviated directions for anyone who is colorblind or gets overwhelmed when they see lots of numbered dots and arrows. There's no legend in this one, but I think the color coding is fairly obvious to anyone who's already played the demo through at least once, which is the target audience.

Anyone know how I'd go about converting a .odg file into something that can be displayed as a simple image?
Attachments
KS_A1_Pathing_1.odg
Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Demo Visual Walkthrough
(30.81 KiB) Downloaded 798 times
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Yeesh, I was expecting something more like the stuff Mirror Moon releases with their patches. It makes sense if you stare at it long enough, but we'll see if we can make it more user friendly.
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

Mirror Moon? First I've heard of them. Where would I be able to find an example of what you're talking about on their site? I couldn't find anything that looked obviously like a walkthrough.

I made this in a vacuum, with no previous experience to rely on, and was more worried about making sure I had all the information laid out accurately. I honestly wouldn't know how to go about making it more user friendly, so I'm grateful that you're willing to help. :D

Edit: Maybe I'm thinking about this in a different way than you are. Were you expecting something more like a written guide where the player is told exactly how to go about getting each end? I was going for a more open-ended, visual approach because that's how my mind works.

I think I did a poor job of graphically representing how your choices effect the scene progression. :| Need to do more fiddling.

Also, thank you for the info Linear B, and for posting the resized image.
Last edited by vermithrx on Wed May 20, 2009 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linear B

Post by Linear B »

vermithrx wrote: Anyone know how I'd go about converting a .odg file into something that can be displayed as a simple image?
You can export the image as a PDF and then open it in whatever program you use for them and then (hopefully) save it as an image. It's pretty damn wide though; the attached one is a resized version.
KS_Pathing_Alpha_small.png
KS_Pathing_Alpha_small.png (235.46 KiB) Viewed 11725 times
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Well, it's done. I decided to make it in Inkscape, since it offered me some more flexibility graphic-wise. But as such, I can only export in .png's. If anyone can convert this to a pdf or something similar, it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Apologies for the large size. You tend to lose track of things when you're working. I'll see what I can do.

EDIT2: Found an error, updating.
Last edited by Warwick on Wed May 20, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
静音是买外夫
Linear B

Post by Linear B »

Here's a pdf of the chart, though I wasn't able to split it into pages. Since you seem to be running OS X from Inkscape mention, in the future you can open up the png in Preview and the save that as a PDF to save yourself the hassle.
Attachments
KS_Flowchart.pdf
(986.87 KiB) Downloaded 829 times
vermithrx

Post by vermithrx »

Wow! That looks so much better now. :D
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Linear B wrote:Here's a pdf of the chart, though I wasn't able to split it into pages. Since you seem to be running OS X from Inkscape mention, in the future you can open up the png in Preview and the save that as a PDF to save yourself the hassle.
Actually, I'm on windows. Thank you open source software. I don't mind the pages thing. I sorta wanted it on one.

EDIT: Eww, lots of artifacts on that thing. Am I the only one who sees them?

EDIT2: Updated, correct version.
KS_Flowchart.png
KS_Flowchart.png (902.34 KiB) Viewed 12386 times
静音是买外夫
Teclo

Re: Act1 Walkthrought, 100% & Individual paths, Flowchart

Post by Teclo »

Wow, that's amazing. It's incredibly useful and also very interesting. I made a wider, shorter version for myself and I thought I may as well upload it in case anyone else wants it too. It fits the shape of monitors more so it's more zoomed in naturally. Just read it down the first column then start at the top of the second one.

Rin > Akira > Shizune > Lilly = Emi > Hanako