Katawa Shoujo HD rerelease!

Comment on and discuss blog posts in here. One thread per post.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Katawa Shoujo HD rerelease!

Post by Aura »

Seems like some people found out why we were reluctant to upgrade Ren'py. KS HD runs on Ren'Py 6.13 which can be a bit prone to video rendering problems. If the HD version freezes or shows only a black screen, try this: http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/display_problems.html
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
britishinterwebs

Post by britishinterwebs »

This is what happens for me, which I think is the *full* joke.
Game starts, HD 4LS video plays. Goes to menu screen with the usual song (only options enabled are start and quit). Click start and it fades to black and fades out audio. After a second or two, it fades back into the menu again.
Was hoping for something more elaborate. Ah well.
PikKirby

Post by PikKirby »

I think this is the only April Fools joke I fell for.

I are sad now :( WHY 4LEAF. WHY TOY WITH OUR HEARTS?!?

*edit doing the Shift-G thing brings me to the menu at least and doesn't hang in the intro.

HD KS is like 50mb, original KS is around 500mb.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Mikunen-Nai

Post by Mikunen-Nai »

britishinterwebs wrote:This is what happens for me, which I think is the *full* joke.Game starts, HD 4LS video plays. Goes to menu screen with the usual song (only options enabled are start and quit). Click start and it fades to black and fades out audio. After a second or two, it fades back into the menu again.Was hoping for something more elaborate. Ah well.

I just tried opening the game again, and that's exactly what happened.

My viewpoint on the joke itself-
Jeez, the game isn't THAT objectionable. The only real problem is that in certain routes there's a small bit of visual nudity that can't be disabled. If there was a way to disable those images there wouldn't really be a problem, because text alone usually isn't going to cause awkward situations. For example, when reading George Orwell's "1984", if someone walks in on you reading one of the parts where Julia and Winston engage in certain activities, it really isn't going to be a problem. Why? Because its easier to explain. Looking at a vulgar image and then telling them that it's important to the plot usually won't work.
(If you have an opposing viewpoint on this, I would like to hear it.)
minkus

Post by minkus »

Thanks for the HD update guys!
State of Mind

Post by State of Mind »

As always, the April fools antics of the KS team had amused me.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing. I didn't think that through .I guess the machine won in the end. :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

If you hold Shift and press G when loading up, you'll get the choice of what renderer you want to use. I selected software renderer and got to the main menu just fine. After that... you're on your own. :roll:
shurcooL

Post by shurcooL »

britishinterwebs wrote:This is what happens for me, which I think is the *full* joke.
Game starts, HD 4LS video plays. Goes to menu screen with the usual song (only options enabled are start and quit). Click start and it fades to black and fades out audio. After a second or two, it fades back into the menu again.
Was hoping for something more elaborate. Ah well.
Yes, this is the full version of this April 1st joke.

I was also having problems with the game hanging during logo video playback. I had to launch it repeatedly and left click to skip to the main menu.
rainbro

Post by rainbro »

honestly I think the start up glitch made this prank even better. xD
Sillocan

Post by Sillocan »

Got it to start! Awesome guys!
When you click start, is the joke that it is only the intro? P.S. A 1920x1080 version would be amazing... I would even pay for it >_>
Zoram

Post by Zoram »

Unimpressed, honestly. I was waiting for this year's joke and this feels put together hastily (if not lazily). The blog post could have gone in lenghty detail to expose all the changes you implemented in the last four, er, three months (is that part of the joke?) and would have been more convincing.

Not your fault however: beside not always having the time to prepare what is ultimately a prank for a single day, it was really difficult to top last year's joke - remember, it was the one that spawned Rika and Saki after all :D
outbackshaq

Post by outbackshaq »

For a second when I saw that it was a zip download I thought "Wow, ,maybe it's not a joke" because I play KS on my hd tv :P then I read the second half and giggled, then i downloaded and loled
Theres always a work around ;)
Itakahi

Post by Itakahi »

Yay~ I get to listen to Wiosna--in HD!
It always makes me feel like crying~
Cole

Post by Cole »

i enjoy seeing the people who comment before they download the game not realizing what day it is
krugger

Post by krugger »

We removed all content that could be interpreted as "inappropriate"
:twisted: