A Week of Memories part 2: Mike

Comment on and discuss blog posts in here. One thread per post.
sporkaganza

Re: A Week of Memories part 2: Mike

Post by sporkaganza »

Hopping on the "pleasant surprise" bandwagon. I didn't expect it at all, so it was really wonderful to see the animations. And they were well-done too. Props to Nicol as well for scoring them really well – I hope when the OST is released we get the accompaniment for the animations as well.
Misfile17

Post by Misfile17 »

sporkaganza wrote:Hopping on the "pleasant surprise" bandwagon. I didn't expect it at all, so it was really wonderful to see the animations. And they were well-done too. Props to Nicol as well for scoring them really well – I hope when the OST is released we get the accompaniment for the animations as well.
Me to! Has there been any word on when the OST might be released ? :3
Mikeinel

Post by Mikeinel »

delta wrote:This probably fits here as well as it will ever fit anywhere.

The only shot we cut from all the animations, we thought it was distracting.
I'm glad you did, sir. After reading the story in detail, I thought the animation fits better without it.
Haseo

Post by Haseo »

GMKGoat wrote:I remember the first time I loaded up KS and thought "there's something different." It had been a long while since I played Act 1, but my brain could tell something was off about the opening sequence. Wanting to get to the parts I hadn't read before so I got impatient and started skipping my way through Shizune's act one. But then I saw it. My face lit up and I squealed like a bitch. ANIMATION! I thought. MIKE INEL! I also thought afterwards. I was like a kid on Christmas morning. A thank you goes out to Mike from me for all your hard work. It truly paid off.
I got the same feel when I was going to the Shizune's route. My reaction was like OMG ANIMATION!!! and it looks really awesome!!. And then I was even more motivated to go to the other routes and watch what animations had the different paths.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

From the blog entry:
Since Act 1 was released, we've gotten dozens, possibly in the hundreds, inquiries from people wanting to join 4LS to work on KS. We've accepted none of them. The reason for some of the declinations was that we didn't want to add features like voice acting, but in most cases we already had all the people we needed, and we had galvanized into a working unit. There was simply no need to recruit more members who we would've needed to somehow find a niche in the team for, and then get them up to speed.
That reads as if no one except Mike has been added since Act 1 was released, but what about Pimmy? She wasn't official until nearly a year after Act 1.
FrozenKimchi

Post by FrozenKimchi »

I agree, his animations added a lot to the game
they all fit each girl's personality well and presented them well
trekki859

Post by trekki859 »

bloody amazing, thats all that can describe these animations, and this game. i been thinking of it more and more lately... you guys have accomplished something truly amazing, i cannot wait to see the full story of the development of katawa shoujo this week.
in the wise words of Jack O'neill ..."what?"
Misfile17

Post by Misfile17 »

trekki859 wrote:bloody amazing, thats all that can describe these animations, and this game. i been thinking of it more and more lately... you guys have accomplished something truly amazing, i cannot wait to see the full story of the development of katawa shoujo this week.
I second that, Like most of the fanbase Im in love with KS, really looking forward to more about the development process.
macfluffers

Post by macfluffers »

All my gold stars. (Well, not all of them. I need to keep some of them for the artists, and writers, and composers, and...)

At the risk of just gushing over how great the animations were (as is the game for the most part, but enough of that), they really were amazing. They gave wonderful subtle hints in what direction each route was going in, and even when they miiiiiight have been too subtle, it made it even better when I rewatched them I realized the little details that had hidden meanings (or at least, I think they had hidden meaning--I could be seeing things that aren't there...).

Though it did make me want a scene where a shoulder-borne Emi picked apples. I thought it was really sweet and was a bit sad when a scene like that never happened. Oh well.

<3

Akira>>>Everyone else
ultrarare

Post by ultrarare »

I will say this, I NEVER expected KS to have fully-animated cut scenes. When I first saw Hisao picking that dandelion, my jaw literally dropped and I giggled like a schoolgirl. My manliness has been shattered and I regret nothing.

Congratulations Mike and thank you for all your hard work. And thank you 4LS for acquiring his talent.

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:From the blog entry:
Since Act 1 was released, we've gotten dozens, possibly in the hundreds, inquiries from people wanting to join 4LS to work on KS. We've accepted none of them. The reason for some of the declinations was that we didn't want to add features like voice acting, but in most cases we already had all the people we needed, and we had galvanized into a working unit. There was simply no need to recruit more members who we would've needed to somehow find a niche in the team for, and then get them up to speed.
That reads as if no one except Mike has been added since Act 1 was released, but what about Pimmy? She wasn't official until nearly a year after Act 1.
She never applied to join. We asked her to.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

At first I was like, holy shit this is awesome.
And then the jaded anime fag side of my brain was like, something seems really off about those proportions.
But then another thought came to mind, and everything was cool again:

"Yellow Submarine."
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Aren't B

Post by Aren't B »

Good guy Mike made KS even more awesome!
The animations of Hanako and Emi were brilliant, can't wait to see the others.
Anonymous765

Post by Anonymous765 »

Everyone on my IRC channel more or less hit their respective second acts at the same time, and all of us were completely blown away when the animation came out of nowhere. I almost missed it because I'd gone to get a drink during the title card, then I just happened to turn back and see the beginning of Hanako's route brought to life.

Yet another success in an already incredible project.

I've played so many dozens of VNs in both English and Japanese that I can no longer count them, but I feel that I'll always hold KS near the top - having just 100%'d it, I can say that it exists in the tiny handful of multi-heroine, no-true-end VNs in which I played every route through to completion without an enforced play order or some such shenanigans. It was never a question of which routes I'd play, just what order I'd play them in.

I put two VNs on hold to play KS this week, and though I have a few hours left in the time I set aside to play them tonight, it is likely that I'll spend it going through some of my favourite KS scenes again instead of making headway on the on-hiatus pair.
Misfile17

Post by Misfile17 »

Anonymous765 wrote:Everyone on my IRC channel more or less hit their respective second acts at the same time, and all of us were completely blown away when the animation came out of nowhere. I almost missed it because I'd gone to get a drink during the title card, then I just happened to turn back and see the beginning of Hanako's route brought to life.

Yet another success in an already incredible project.

I've played so many dozens of VNs in both English and Japanese that I can no longer count them, but I feel that I'll always hold KS near the top - having just 100%'d it, I can say that it exists in the tiny handful of multi-heroine, no-true-end VNs in which I played every route through to completion without an enforced play order or some such shenanigans. It was never a question of which routes I'd play, just what order I'd play them in.

I put two VNs on hold to play KS this week, and though I have a few hours left in the time I set aside to play them tonight, it is likely that I'll spend it going through some of my favourite KS scenes again instead of making headway on the on-hiatus pair.
It really is something incredible the 4LS have created, It's the best experience I've had in a long while and a truly unforgettable story, Im gonna play this every so often so I never forget the wonderful experience I had playing it,