A Week of Memories part 2: Mike

Comment on and discuss blog posts in here. One thread per post.
Hanako-San

Re: A Week of Memories part 2: Mike

Post by Hanako-San »

My hat off to him. The animations were beautiful.
Guestwin

Post by Guestwin »

I can't be the only one that saw it coming for a while. I frequently visited Mike's dA page because he makes terrific KS fanart. And if you read between the lines, you could work out that he was working on something animated for KS. I was surpised to see them immediately after Act 1 though, I wasn't really expecting something till the end.

Naturally, the results were great. I was lucky enough to catch him on Livestream once where he was doing an animation for deIz. Truly impressive to see his skillset at work. He makes it look so easy.

So thanks for all the hard work Mike!
Uliana

Post by Uliana »

The animations in KS are some of the best things I've seen in a VN, especially if you consider that only a small handful of professional VN's have full-motion video, let alone amateur works.

Mike Inel, para sa iyo to kabayan :D
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

This probably fits here as well as it will ever fit anywhere.

The only shot we cut from all the animations, we thought it was distracting.
Misfile17

Post by Misfile17 »

delta wrote:This probably fits here as well as it will ever fit anywhere.

The only shot we cut from all the animations, we thought it was distracting.
Even so it's still nice to see it, :)
Pata Hikari

Post by Pata Hikari »

I have to say, the animations are probably the biggest surprise in the entire game.

If only because the last thing you associate "animated introduction" with is "visual novel made by a bunch of volunteers with no budget"
Misfile17

Post by Misfile17 »

Pata Hikari wrote:I have to say, the animations are probably the biggest surprise in the entire game.

If only because the last thing you associate "animated introduction" with is "visual novel made by a bunch of volunteers with no budget"
That's true, which makes it all the more impressive considering it was done in their own time, and they still released it for free, I think that's astounding,
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Oh, that Mike...

Someone noticed this in reddit.com/r/katawashoujo

Pata Hikari

Post by Pata Hikari »

I thought it was fairly obvious.
Jakari

Post by Jakari »

I was genuinely surprised when I found these animations seeded between Act 1 and 2. It definitely stepped the entire experience up a notch.
KeWano

Post by KeWano »

@Merlyn_LeRoy:
I knew there was something up with their poses, just couldn't put my finger on what... Thanks for posting it!

And to Mike Inel, great animator who did an awesome job on these animations. I was fairly surprised when the OP was changed to fully animated, but when I saw the FMV's for each character, I was stunned. All of the title cards were really well made, and fitted the game so much. A really nice surprise for one really awesome game. And a great job from Nicol too, creating great pieces of music for these videos too. Really great job overall!
"I’m trying to experience. People probably don’t do this enough." -Rin Tezuka.
rhfs

Post by rhfs »

I thought the animations were a pleasant surprise and was wondering how much work it took to implement them. Would have never guessed it took that long, which makes it all the more impressive. Good job, Mike.
Fronzel

Post by Fronzel »

The animations are great. It was a lovely surprise after re-reading Act 1. Seeing the characters in motion really helped bring them to life, if I can get away with that cliche.

I especially loved the fantastical atmosphere of Rin's animation, which I why I think cutting that one shot was a good idea. It's awfully literal.
Eishu

Post by Eishu »

Good job! I really enjoyed waht I saw so far, still have a few routes to go.
Deli_Nayar

Post by Deli_Nayar »

I was impressed and shocked when I saw them for the first time

Have to say the Shizune one touched me the most with the music and scenes being perfect.