One Week's Worth of Memories, part 1

Comment on and discuss blog posts in here. One thread per post.
Misfile17

Re: One Week's Worth of Memories, part 1

Post by Misfile17 »

Kiuchi wrote:Thank for this great VN! It sometimes made cry of love when I made the right choices and cry of sadness when I made the wrong ones!

Glad to hear you are not disbanding but that you are "hibernating", that gives me back a little hope for more, because it made me feel very sad when I read the word disbanding.
Hope is the best thing we have at the moment for more KS, it would be nice for more, but even if we don't get it, we have our memories, and the Dev's have theirs.
rhfs

Post by rhfs »

Just wanted to give my thanks (again) to 4LS for making this incredible project possible. It is not often that I play/read/experience something this good, and it is almost never that said project was released for free by the people who worked so hard on it.

I thought Hanako's route in particular was really incredible. I don't know if this was an intended effect or not, but by the end I found the line between Hisao and I blurring and I made the same white-knighting mistakes that he did without even noticing it. When Lily made that phone call, she might as well been giving the advice to me instead of Hisao. Truly, I think this immersion is a testament to the excellent writing of the team, because there have been few times in fiction where I felt this way before.
nabaal

Post by nabaal »

I want to thank everyone who has been working to make this project possible.
Before some of you disappear into the aether of the internet I want you to know how much I appreciate your hard work and dedication to make this exceptional game.

It has given me the emotional kick needed to change around my bad habits and view on life, toward something more positive and productive. And for that you have my everlasting gratitude.

It is sad to see it all come to completion. I feel guilt for not being active in the forums, giving praise and cheering on the developers, seeing as I have been keeping a close eye on the game since the release of the first demo back in 2009. And now that it is done, what now? What will I look forward too? Nothing in my mind at this moment can come remotely close to compare. Its at it end now, its done, and its heartbreaking.

And its bitter-sweet that you are not certain that you will make another visual novel, seeing how this game turned out into such a marvelous game. I hope you will reconsider. Nevertheless, whatever choices you make with your future, I wish you the best of luck. For this story of lives you have given us left my soul richer and my hopes glowing stronger.

Live long and well, strangers, for you have all shared some part of your soul in your work, and in my eyes it make you all shine beautifully.
Misfile17

Post by Misfile17 »

nabaal wrote:I want to thank everyone who has been working to make this project possible.
Before some of you disappear into the aether of the internet I want you to know how much I appreciate your hard work and dedication to make this exceptional game.

It has given me the emotional kick needed to change around my bad habits and view on life, toward something more positive and productive. And for that you have my everlasting gratitude.

It is sad to see it all come to completion. I feel guilt for not being active in the forums, giving praise and cheering on the developers, seeing as I have been keeping a close eye on the game since the release of the first demo back in 2009. And now that it is done, what now? What will I look forward too? Nothing in my mind at this moment can come remotely close to compare. Its at it end now, its done, and its heartbreaking.

And its bitter-sweet that you are not certain that you will make another visual novel, seeing how this game turned out into such a marvelous game. I hope you will reconsider. Nevertheless, whatever choices you make with your future, I wish you the best of luck. For this story of lives you have given us left my soul richer and my hopes glowing stronger.

Live long and well, strangers, for you have all shared some part of your soul in your work, and in my eyes it make you all shine beautifully.
That was beautiful, And I share your sentiments about the future, KS itself and how amazingly this has affected so many of us.

Post by Guest »

You've touched all of our hearts and I thank you for it.
Pata Hikari

Post by Pata Hikari »

Finally registered for this. This post came out just as I was finishing up the entire game.

Having downloaded the Demo with idle curiosity. I found myself becoming one of the many fans of KS.

I remember thinking "Oh now that they have this out, the full game will probably be released within 6 months or so."

How naive I was.

Still, it was interesting to watch the explosion of interest, the great implosion of /jp/ and the invention of "Get out ks devs,"

I followed, occasionally checking the Shimmie and IRC. I speculated on what might happen in future acts. (Hint: It was all wrong)

Finally reading it, after finishing the last route, Rin, I just feel emotionally drained. Katawa Shoujo took me for a wild ride, ups and downs. Though, in that odd feeling, there's satisfaction. It's weird, but I'm getting a sense of closure about the entire thing.

I hope you guys feel good about giving so many people something good. And if ever make anything else, whore it on this blog like it's no tomorrow.
Misfile17

Post by Misfile17 »

Pata Hikari wrote:Finally registered for this. This post came out just as I was finishing up the entire game.

Having downloaded the Demo with idle curiosity. I found myself becoming one of the many fans of KS.

I remember thinking "Oh now that they have this out, the full game will probably be released within 6 months or so."

How naive I was.

Still, it was interesting to watch the explosion of interest, the great implosion of /jp/ and the invention of "Get out ks devs,"

I followed, occasionally checking the Shimmie and IRC. I speculated on what might happen in future acts. (Hint: It was all wrong)

Finally reading it, after finishing the last route, Rin, I just feel emotionally drained. Katawa Shoujo took me for a wild ride, ups and downs. Though, in that odd feeling, there's satisfaction. It's weird, but I'm getting a sense of closure about the entire thing.

I hope you guys feel good about giving so many people something good. And if ever make anything else, whore it on this blog like it's no tomorrow.
That's something I'd completely forgotten about while thinking many of the same things you did, about feeling closure, and all the emotions that came with the experience of KS, But as Hikari said, If you do decide to make anything else, be it KS related ( sequels or extras etc ) or a new project, plaster this blog and the websites, twitter pages with it, PLEASE!
Heatth

Post by Heatth »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:
There probably won't be any more KS. No sequels, no extra disks, no content patches, no side stories, no spinoffs. We've always felt that KS was this one game, this one project, and it seems unlikely that we would change our minds.
BAD END.
What are you talking about? This is clearly a GOOD END:
We have no plans to make other visual novels. That doesn't mean that we never will. We might, or some of us might, at some point in the future, but for now there are no plans.
I haven't finished playing yet (just done Shizune route so far), but there is no point in extending the story beyond its finish line. I mean, I would certainly welcome side stories with the less developed side characters, but Katawa Shoujo is a finished work already. Instead of becoming too tied to it, it is better to expand the horizons.

For this, I am very happy with the possibility of future projects by 4LS, even if it is just a faint hope so far. Katawa Shoujo was a free English Visual Novel done which such quality level. And which raised to a great level of popularity at that. To know the people who made this possible are maybe whiling to work in something again is an wonderful news.
Andmyaxe

Post by Andmyaxe »

Misfile17

Post by Misfile17 »

^^^^ This, Brilliant!
Last edited by Silentcook on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: DON'T quote images that were just posted, people...
techk8

Post by techk8 »

Bravo 4LS. That is all.
techk8 wrote:In all honestly, I don't care if it's an OVA or a whole series; it needs to end with the Lilly Good End, damnit! IT'S FUCKING CANON AND I'LL TAKE THAT TRUTH TO THE GRAVE.
[10:59] <@cpl_crud> Penises aren't spoilers; they are just disappointing in general
Otakumon

Post by Otakumon »

It's a shame you all have decided not to release any of the development stuff. I've always enjoyed the 'making of' sort of extras and seeing how movies, stories, and the like evolved into thier final form.
GetOutKSDevs

Post by GetOutKSDevs »

I might as well get sappy and reminisce a bit.
I still remember the day the demo came out. Back then, i browsed the IGN forums and someone had made a thread about it. I decided to try it out, as i was first start getting into Japanese media, having only watched and read a handful of anime and manga. I started to follow the Dev blog, and then i migrated to 4chan for Bromont's Katawa Broujo threads. I remember how funny i thought that April fools blog post about KS getting an anime, having recently watched Higurashi. Then i realized it had been a year since i played Act 1. That made me a little depressed. And then, almost another year later, you glorious motherfuckers announced the release date. It's funny, how the internet can bring a bunch of people from around the world to make a game based on the premise of dating cripples and through that game make me and so many others feel such a swell of emotions playing it. I love you guys so much for making this, So i just can't resist saying it one last time.
Get out, KS devs.
Ryukrieger

Post by Ryukrieger »

I finally brought myself to register and say something, it's hard to say something good for me, but I'll take this chance and try before I regret not saying anything.
The game is simply beautiful, the stories are beautiful, the arts are, the personalities are, everything is beautiful in this game.
When I start the game, I wasn't expecting too much, but playing trough it, completing the first story which is Emi's story, it's touching, at times it makes me sad, at times it makes me happy. The meanings I found trough playing makes me realize lots of things about life, I don't know if you guys intended to do that or not, but surely the stories you all brought to us, changed a lot in our minds, there are things I've never even thought about, there are many things that your stories taught me.
Each time I play trough a story, I can never find its flaw, they're always meaningful, too meaningful to be described with words.
Though the lack of the epilogues everyone said truly for me is sad, very sad, but the stories have already brought me too much to not be ashamed asking for something else.
4LS, you all, are just simply wonderful, this is a game that isn't just a game (thought the banner said that)
I appreciate that you made the game, I'm thankful to find this game, I'm touched by how you made the game.
Again, you all are wonderful, I can't put all my thoughts to words, so that is all I can say.
Thank you for making such a beautiful game reality.
You said there will be nothing regarding the game anymore, but sure I hope, one of you, will do something, even if it's just plain text stories, I'd be thankful only for the fact that you wrote it.
Thank you for reading this, I appreciate all your efforts.
gammatelier

Post by gammatelier »

Thanks again for releasing that game!

From the time I found and scanned that RAITA's doujin (though I dunno if it's my scans that you guys read), I'd have never expected people to really make a game out of it ^^ I do hope Raita is as pleased as can be anyone who see his concept coming to life. That was sure a long way to go, since 2007, but heh, I rather prefer that you guys didn't haste and made a good job on the game thant the contrary!
Again, I'm also happy I rejected your proposition to join your team for the art part (back in 2007 or 2008 i think?)... as my drawings are nowhere near as good as the game ones (and at that time, my drawings were even worse). I still feel proud I was called for such a project, but still think it came better without me ^^"

I haven't completed all characters routes so far, but still nice job on the stories, dialogs. the characters' attitude are great and so is the whole school atmosphere. Nice background music, nice colors, etc...heh, I guess people told you that over many times already! So...I'll just say you did a great job.

Too bad there won't be any sequel, but one can hardly complain when you think about that crazy story: dozens of people from around the world who worked their asses off (well, we hope they did :p ) on a single sketchy illustrations made by a doujin illustrator ^^

Thanks again guys, and I do hope that you'll soon find anohter concept you'll like to put into a game! (maybe a "street girls" game? a bosozoku girl gang leader, a homeless girl, an Enjo kosai girl, a midnight hikkikomori, etc..)

Many thanks again!