Katawa Shoujo Artbook at Comiket 81

Comment on and discuss blog posts in here. One thread per post.
Xybaro

Re: Katawa Shoujo Artbook at Comiket 81

Post by Xybaro »

KEEP CALM

AND CARRY ON
Hanako Lover
Gee-chan

Post by Gee-chan »

Looked on the site; another art book.

WHY ENGLAND!?! WHY MUST YOU HAVE COPYRIGHT AND PUBLISHING LAWS THAT DO NOT FACILITATE A FLOURISHING DOUJIN INDUSTRY SUCH AS THE ONE JAPAN HAS!?! WHYYYYY!?!

Seriously though, don't blame the devs. As infuriating as it is for those of us outside of Japan, the simple fact of the matter is that there are no suitable venues through which to publish this sort of stuff in the UK (and US, and rest of Europe) because our publishing laws are written by tight-arse tossers who care only for money, not creativity.

Still, I would like to see some kind of arrangement made after release where KS doujin stuff gets sent to 4LS so they can make it available online for the rest of the fanbase, or even done in such a way that people can request permission to distribute at cons where they are so long as they foot the costs.

Such would be an ideal (read: unrealistic and impossible) world....
WTF

Post by WTF »

I'm new on the forum and haven't really taken part in the discussions yet but I feel like I just must make this "demand":

Please Katawa Shoujo Devs or the ones responsible for the Artbook, for the sake of all KS-fans outside of Japan, open an online shop where someone can buy the art-books and other fan-articles even if he's not from Japan!

I would love to have those Artbooks/the Player's Guide/Poster and whatever else you guys come up with as fan-articles. 400 Yen is roughly about 3.8€, heck I would pay over 10€ for this artbook alone (add shipping-costs from Japan as well I don't mind) because it's so great.

So please, please open up an online-shop or at least give us the possibility to order via email. I would order instantly!

Thank you very much in advance!
Yubiseiharukana

Post by Yubiseiharukana »

WTF wrote:I'm new on the forum and haven't really taken part in the discussions yet but I feel like I just must make this "demand":

Please Katawa Shoujo Devs or the ones responsible for the Artbook, for the sake of all KS-fans outside of Japan, open an online shop where someone can buy the art-books and other fan-articles even if he's not from Japan!

I would love to have those Artbooks/the Player's Guide/Poster and whatever else you guys come up with as fan-articles. 400 Yen is roughly about 3.8€, heck I would pay over 10€ for this artbook alone (add shipping-costs from Japan as well I don't mind) because it's so great.

So please, please open up an online-shop or at least give us the possibility to order via email. I would order instantly!

Thank you very much in advance!
For whatever reason I don't think the devs are in this for the profit. We'll have plenty to talk about when the game comes out, so it's not the catastrophe everyone is making it out to be.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."
- Emo Philips
WTF

Post by WTF »

Having an online-/pdf-version of the artbook(s) is awesome, don't get me wrong. But I want to have a printed version of it, something I can touch and feel (don't get dirty thoughts right now I'm only speaking about the physical aspect). Imagine It like you have "Lord of the Rings" as an ebook, it doesn't make the book less good or take away the joy you have while reading it, but on the other hand if you could have one of the first-edition ones printed in the UK back in 1954/55 it would be a completely different experience. That's why I would happily pay 300% of the price it's sold for at Comiket just to have it in my shelf and to know that I'm the owner of one of the most awesome and rare manga/anime works out there, and I also want to show some love for the devs and give them something back for the time they invested into the making of this game/artbook, even if it's only money.
DollarBill

Post by DollarBill »

i'm gonna b some ones hero! 8) i just bought a copy of "fragments of summer" as soon as i get it in the mail i'm gonna scan it and post it for download some were. it ain't much but its the best gesture i can offer. so please don't cry any more. it will get better. :D
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Made a few banninations and deletions of the worst offenders. I suggest keeping it cool, guys.

Also to reiterate something that was already said last time this happened: the various artbooks so far have been organized, composed and printed by the JP translation team, which is unsurprisingly in Japan. The JP translation team is affiliated to but not part of 4LS.

So if you want shinies popping up near your home, maybe you should try getting them made first.

Also thanks to the people willing to pay uberinflated prices for a physical copy, but you still wouldn't be paying 4LS. We don't accept money in donations or otherwise, we never did and we aren't likely to start in the future. Any money would go to the people doing the work and printing the objects - again, the JP translation team.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

I have posted a defense for the position of the ragers and complainers elsewhere on the forums already, so, for the sake of educated discussion and reason, I shall take up the defense of the Dev team.

Was this a completely good idea? Maybe not entirely, from a purely logical point of view. Like any sort of exclusive item (especially a Japan exclusive one), it was always going to raise jealousy in all the people that got left out. That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Art Devs wanting to do something fun. Getting to see your work in official print form, and knowing people bought it is a unique kind of joy and I will never begrudge the Devs trying to actually enjoy what they are doing.

As has already been stated, the artbook was compiled and published by the Japanese Translation branch. There were certainly contributions by the main Dev artists, but the project was organized and funded by the JT team. It is completely unreasonable to demand the JT branch to start shipping internationally on top of what they are already doing.

To everyone clamoring for the artbook to be published in your area, try it yourselves. No, seriously. The JT team managed to pool resources, work with the devs, and organize the production of the artbook in their area. I know that the Japanese are more well known for these sorts of independent projects (read, comiket), but the rest of the developed world also has printing companies. You only get what you work for. The JT team have obviously put in the extra effort to organize the production of the art book, so anyone else interested in doing something similar, look up your local anime convention (I know there are ones all over, so there is no excuse unless you are the only KS fan in a 1000 mile radius around yourself), talk with your localization team and the devs, and your country too can have awesome art books. Naturally that means putting in some real work and money on your part, but if you care that much, such things won't matter. PUT IN THE EFFORT AND YE SHALL BE REWARDED AS KINGS.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
Bara

Post by Bara »

Shades of Grey wrote:... PUT IN THE EFFORT AND YE SHALL BE REWARDED AS KINGS.
Nice post. I'm afraid it is 100% wasted because the only thing the ragers and haters could comprehend out of it was everything after the word "and". The whiners are unable to comprehend the words that came before. In particular the one that begins with the letter "E". Not surprising, since I doubt they have ever experienced it. :lol:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

Bara wrote:
Nice post. I'm afraid it is 100% wasted because the only thing the ragers and haters could comprehend out of it was everything after the word "and". The whiners are unable to comprehend the words that came before. In particular the one that begins with the letter "E". Not surprising, since I doubt they have ever experienced it. :lol:
Nice post. I'm afraid it is 100% wasted because it was useless.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Brogurt wrote:
Bara wrote:
It's the Internet, and I maintain my right to be as useless here as everywhere else.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Yubiseiharukana

Post by Yubiseiharukana »

Shades of Grey wrote:
Brogurt wrote:
Shades of Grey wrote: Nice post. I'm afraid it is 100% wasted because the only thing the ragers and haters could comprehend out of it was everything after the word "and". The whiners are unable to comprehend the words that came before. In particular the one that begins with the letter "E". Not surprising, since I doubt they have ever experienced it. :lol:
It's the Internet, and I maintain my right to be as useless here as everywhere else.
Sadly, the post's message is in vain though, possibly due to how completely true it is.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."
- Emo Philips

Post by Guest »

I had a realization about this artbook. Where is it? Japan. That's probably where it's being printed. even if the devs supply the art, if it's only being printed in Japan that will explain its rarity, and why you can only get it there. Food for thought.
No name

Post by No name »

I disnt see this today at the comic market. Did it was sold out, or do I just suck at looking?
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

No name wrote:I disnt see this today at the comic market. Did it was sold out, or do I just suck at looking?
http://katawashoujo-ja.blogspot.com/201 ... st_31.html

They were there. :)