Four Leaf Studios, how does it work?

Comment on and discuss blog posts in here. One thread per post.
HeMeido

Re: Four Leaf Studios, how does it work?

Post by HeMeido »

If that's what it takes to be productive... I'm gonna go sit here and see how much bigger my backlog can get. :?
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Aura wrote:A revision can be either huge (10 000-20 000 words of game script) or small (fix to a single scripting error in one code file) or whatever in between (like a new CG, or editing a single scene). It's not even meant to gauge game progress in the sense of "how many revisions until KS is done".
Well I guess it averages out in the long run so some kind of metric COULD be established. I don't think our present sample size is big enough for that though, and it's not likely to become big enough until the game is completed.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Esa94 wrote:
Smoku wrote:And, uh... that mentioning of Hisao's penis probably blew out the minds of many fans. I'm still trying to find a few parts of a little nut that's supposed to be my brain around here.
Indeed, now everyone is thinking of Hisao's penis.
Is Hisao's penis also a fig leaf?
PalaceAthene

Post by PalaceAthene »

Great insight! It's great that the dev team is so open to the community~<3 Honestly, this is my first VN I've played, and I've fallen in love with it. It'll probably the only one I play as well, because I'm thinking this game is the best one out there.

Hearing how meticulous the dev process is cements my opinion that this will be the only VN for me
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

It's probably a good thing you don't have one "Big Boss" who makes all the final decisions.
If you work until noone has any major objections anymore that has to have an impact on quality.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Unless the reason they don't have major objections is because they gave up and don't care anymore.
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Caesius wrote:Unless the reason they don't have major objections is because they gave up and don't care anymore.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
ze spy

Post by ze spy »

Suriko wrote:
Caesius wrote:Unless the reason they don't have major objections is because they gave up and don't care anymore.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
I am scared of the implications of this post.
"That weird motherfucker"
Suriko

Post by Suriko »

People don't yield to decisions, they just give up arguing.
DemonOfRandgris

Post by DemonOfRandgris »

I've always wondered about this. Seeing as how most of the writers do their own thing, will the differences in writing style and such be glaring when comparing two different paths?

Not only that, my biggest fear for this game has always been that devs would get into a disagreement so huge, it forces someone to leave. I dunno. Am I being too paranoid with this? I feel like there might be some animosity between the people working on this and that would lead to something drastic.
G3n0c1de wrote:Harvey Dent is not moe.
Lawls

Post by Lawls »

Yep. It's my primary moe trait in addition to my stoic, gloomy personality.
heterochromia AND stoic,gloomy personality! Sounds as if someone was describing their ideal waifu. With such a person at the helm KS is confirmed for success.
<Aura> "For a long time now, I've thought it doesn't matter one bit whether they are disabled or not."

"But it’s looking like it may actually happen before we all die." - cpl_crud
  • "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" - Shakespeare
Suriko

Post by Suriko »

1. We have editors to touch up our stuff, plus we all read each other's writing. There are differences in our writing style regardless, though, but whether they're big enough to be distracting is subjective.

2. The project's largely on autopilot now - everyone knows largely what they have to do to finish up, and stuff is getting done more autonomously.

I feel like there might be some animosity between the people working on this
kuroi.jpg
kuroi.jpg (21.06 KiB) Viewed 6692 times
Edit: To clarify, we all generally get along fine. I'd call a few friends. In a project with this many developers though, there's bound to be some personality conflicts.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

DemonOfRandgris wrote:I've always wondered about this. Seeing as how most of the writers do their own thing, will the differences in writing style and such be glaring when comparing two different paths?
Well, you've probably read Act 1. It was written by all five of us too. Do you think when comparing scenes to each other that there were glaring differences that bothered you? There's your answer.

Anyway, we don't really care about that and to some extent, accept and plan the stories to have a different feel. I think there are pretty big differences in the writing styles between the writers, everyone has their characteristic style, but that's fine. Editing and the discussions make everything be close enough to each other. Same thing is going on with the art, really.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

I imagine having multiple writers with different styles might actually be to the story's benefit. For anything done by a single author, if you want three-dimensional characters, you basically have to invent entire personalities out of thin air, and it's no easy thing while writing to put yourself in the place of a hypothetical person (who may be totally different from yourself) to the extent that none of your own characteristic perspective intrudes on theirs. When you've got one writer per character, though, it pretty much guarantees that they'll all have fundamentally different voices, and that Hisao's experiences with them will all have a unique flavor - which ultimately makes them more memorable.

tl;dr lots of writers keeps things from getting same-y and boring.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

My unnecessary opinion on the matter:
Aura wrote:Well, you've probably read Act 1. It was written by all five of us too. Do you think when comparing scenes to each other that there were glaring differences that bothered you? There's your answer.
Notable differences in style, yeah. That bothered me, no. Mainly because
Aura wrote:Anyway, we don't really care about that and to some extent, accept and plan the stories to have a different feel.
also partially because of the happy coincidence that I like the writing style of the paths I prefer, or perhaps there's a subtle causal effect if you reverse that order <_<