Discovered KS less than a week ago. Now I'm at 100%

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
Morlok8k

Discovered KS less than a week ago. Now I'm at 100%

Post by Morlok8k »

FYI: this is my first post. And it will have spoilers.

OK, so I just went from discovering KS to getting 100% in less than a week. Mind you I also work full time!!!! There were a few nights where i stayed up to 4-5AM and I get up for work at 8AM!

Awesome game. Not what I expected at all. I literally googled "erotic games for linux" and came across KS. Without reading any reviews or knowing what the game was about (even about the girls having disabilities) I started playing.

A few scenes in, I knew this wasnt any normal dating-sim, and I was hooked!

Rin

My first playthrough I stumbled into Rin's path. I was amazed with her story. It was so deep and inspiring. I really felt like there with her. I got all the "feels" as you guys on this forum call it - must be an inside joke, cause I dont know the reason you call it that - or just havent dug into teh archives of this forum.

Rin was interesting. I liked how complex she was, although it was also frustrating!
I dont see why some you guys think she might commit sucide at the end of the nuteral path - she said shes going to leave the school and go do the thing at the university or whatever.

Rin's storyline is bittersweet at best, and sad depending on the ending. All she really wants is someone to tell her that they understand her which nobody really can, but Hisao has gotten the closest to doing so.

Anyways, Rin really pulled on my heartstrings. At work all I could do was think about her.

Lilly

My second playthrough was with Lilly. I got her "neutral ending" first. The Feels man, the feels. Compared to Rin where it seemed more one-sided, Hisao and Lilly were truely in love together. I put quotes around "neutral ending" because while it isnt as bad of an ending as other characters bad endings, it hurt my feelings more than the actual bad endings. I then went to get her good ending, and was totally suprised to see the same exact events unfold! I totally thought he was going to convince her to stay, or that she would decide not to leave, or at least see some different scenes... I was relieved that he decided to go after her at the airport - but why didnt he just call her? he had her number, or Hideaki could have called Akira when Hisao met him. Gah! So frustrating!

I loved the music box in the room - it made me so happy, but it bugged me that we never learned how Lilly got to the hospital or found out about Hisao's heart attack. We know she arrived there at least 2 days after his heart attack. She says herself "I heard later that it happened as you were running down the raod after me". I guess she went to Scotland, found out and came back. I would have perfered that since he saw her walking and cried out "Lilly" at the time of his attack, her sensitive ears would have heard it and she rushed over to his unconsionous body, and she had stayed.

Anyways, I truely fell in love with Lilly as I played.

Hanako

I just didnt get into Hanako's arc as much. (maybe I was too tired when playing it - I haven gotten much sleep this past week!) I probably should have played a different girl after Lilly, or played her before Lilly because playing Hanakos path felt like I was cheating on Lilly. and they are friends. I need to play this path again, and it will be the first I fully replay.

Honestly, not much remains in my mind about Hanako's path except for the sex scene. It felt forced, or at least rushed in my opinion, and shocked me. Almost rape, kinda. A little bit of foreplay would have nice. She shows him her scars, so he just kisses her for a moment and then immeaditly takes off all his clothes and... etc. Yes, there was some foreplay but was she more scared to stop him or did she really want this? My first reading of this scene made it seem like she was too scared to stop his advances, but subseuent readings made it seem less so, and that she was willing.

All in all, I feel like Hanako's best ending was when you play Lilly's path. She gets more confident, and interacts with others, just because you were her friend and not trying to get in her pants. Dating Hanako doesnt get her to make as much progress as when you are just her friend/"family". We do see that there is potential at the end of her Good ending though, so there is hope.

Shizune (& Misha)

Shizunes path was not what I expected. I liked how it took a long time (both in reading and the timeline of the in-game world). But a few things really bugged me. Hisao was extreamly reluctant to talk about his heart with them. I accepted the quickness of his learning sign language though, though it was a little weird. Also, the Misha/Shizune fight seemed contrived and not realistic. And when we found out that Misha was in love with Shizune, it wasn't really mentioned again after that - I expected a bunch more from that revelation. It was just like Oh? Ok. lets talk about something else now. Another minor thing that really bugged me about this path was that Hideki and Akira were never really mentioned to be dating each other, and that Hideki was treated like he was much younger than the Hideki in Lilly's path. Also, if Shizune and Lilly are cousins, then so are Hideki and Akira, and they are dating! - Eeww!

I liked how you really got to know and understand Shizune, but they never really went on dates or did anything romantic together, except for the occasional spontanious sex.

There is only one question in the shizune path once you get to act 2! Its just all reading! I would have loved to have some more input, but nope!

I expected more fallout to happen in the bad ending example: Shizune found out about you sleeping with Misha, or you have a heart attack when plowing Misha and then right after we find out Misha's feelings for Shizune and its like wait? what?! that was kinda out there...

And the last line of the bad ending really got to me - "It makes me smile in a way without amusement." Shes getting exactly what she deserves for being a stupid bitch, and it makes me smile. It didnt really feel like Hisao.

In the end, Shizunes path was decent. But I didnt get as emotionally attached to her as most of the others. Whenever Hisao thought to himself about his feelings for her, I just didnt share them. I would think to myself, "That previous scene made you feel fonder for her? It just kinda pissed me off!" and so on and so forth.

Emi

"Emi at her Emiest" I love that quote from Rin.

Emi... Emi. Emi. Emi. *sigh* I didn't love her like Lilly, or was as fasicnated with her as Rin, but she did seem the most realistic, which I liked. I loved the beginning of the relationship - it made me really happy! And the amount of sex they had made me smile. - although the actual sex scenes that we see could have been better. like the first one faded away right when I expected it to get really good! and the Lemon flavored lube... well, at least it was realistic (cept for the line where he says he used the ENITRE BOTTLE!!!)

Oh! Rin's "Target Audience" and Emi's "Track Meeting" scenes contain a vast amount of duplicated material, so I tried to skip the duplicated parts, but it didnt work. That just bugged me.

The fights you have with Emi... well I just wanted to smack Hisao and say "DUH! The reason shes doing this is _____! READ BETWEEN THE LINES!" (Actually I felt that way with Hisao in multiple paths, but Emi's path had the most of them!)

I felt that Emi and her path was the most predictable in the game, but I still enjoyed it!

Overall

I loved this game. I totally understand why you guys love these characters so much, and cant forget them. I've never felt so emotionally connected to any characters before and it saddens me that there is no more KS to discover. I would love an expansion pack or something down the line...

A few things that I havent mentioned above bugged me, either while playing the game or afterwards when I was thinking about the stories...

I get that Hisao isnt a gigalo, and I wouldnt want him to be (that would change the dynamic of this game), but he really excludes the other girls once he starts going down a particular path. (There are a few exceptions.) Act 1 has you interacting with all the girls and being friendly with all of them, unless you choose otherwise. I really expected this dynamic to continue. Just because you have chosen one girl above the others doesnt mean that you have to ignore the others for the most part and not hear about their lives... (Gossip appears to run rampant in this school, yet you never hear any personally.)

For example:
  • If I dont choose Rin, does she still do the art gallery thing?
    When dating Shizune, since her timeframe is the longest, we see Lilly again. Why did Lilly come back from Scotland, when we knew she left when called for? Did she miss the school? Did she fight with her family? Did she come back for Hanako?
    Does Hanako make progress if not dating her or Lilly?
    How does the Misha/Shizune friendship work out if we leave them alone?
    Does Emi get over her issues? (doubtful)
    What happens with Kenji?
i get that this game is just a slice of time in these characters lives, but... anyways.

Also, All of the endings could have been longer - bad and good. you could talk about what happened with the other students, and see how your failed or sucessful reltionship with this girl causes the future to play out. Even if just for a little bit.

I WISH I KNEW MORE PEOPLE THAT WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THIS GAME!!!!!!!! I've told the one person i think might like it... I need more friends who are Nerds like me. Why are my friends so normal? :lol:

Oh, and I read on these forums that some people think that Yuuko was dating Kenji the previous year. Yuuko did not attend the academy. Kenji dated a unnamed student (Most likely Emi, in my opinon, if it was one of the girls we know about). There are similarities to what each say, but more differences. I could understand why some people would think of them having the relationship, but there are clearly mentioned facts that disprove it.

WHAT DO I DO NOW?
I can't draw, and while pretty decent at writing, I dont want to write a fanfic.
I want to play again.
I think I will (back up and) delete my save file, and play again. If I dont do this, I'll just skip everything and just watch the sex sceens! Lol, no, but I would skip some scenes, and I wouldnt want to do that. I'm not going to try for 100% again, and just play it naturally with (little to) no help from a flowchart.

KS came into my life where I really needed to feel these emotions that it gives me. I'm not ready to leave KS just yet.
Thank you 4LS!

I don't expect to post on this forum very often. I just had to get these words out there. Its probably more meaningful to me to say this stuff than for you guys to read it!
pandaphil

Re: Discovered KS less than a week ago. Now I'm at 100%

Post by pandaphil »

Wow, great job spilling your heart out about the game. Couldn't agree more! I've been playing for about three days and have only gone through two of the arcs. I want to just marathon the thing, but I know if I rush through, it'll be over that much more quickly. I need to make the joy last as long as I can. :(

I know what you mean about what bugged you. During a lot of my time with the Hanako arc, my mind kept going back to Emi, all alone out on the track. I wish at the very least there'd been a scene showing her out on the track, or passing her on the street holding someones hand. Just SOMETHING to let you know that the girls you didn't choose to pursue are going to be okay.
Last edited by pandaphil on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

Glad you liked the game so much and welcome to the forums! Gonna comment on a few things you mentioned. Also, not gonna bother covering spoilers for those who haven't finished reading.

Rin - it is insinuated that she might commit suicide in her neutral ending because earlier in the VN when Hisao is talking to Nomia and the art director (forget her name at the moment), they were talking about an old artist friend who spiraled into depression and committed suicide and later on, Rin was having trouble with her own art for a while.

Lilly - I got nothing. I fell in love with her character at first but now I have conflicted feelings about her after some fridge logic.

Hanako - Hanako hit home hard for me because while I can't compare her circumstances to mine, I know how it feels to be bullied through school. As for the sex scene, she was willing but under false pretenses. At the time, she thought Hisao just saw her as a person he wanted to protect and would leave when either he felt she was better or lost interest. In her mind she wanted him to think of her as a romantic interest and the only way to convince him to change his mind was to have sex with him. That bit was actually actually explained when she broke down in the park.

Shizune - Hisao learned sign language fast to us but a lot of time was skipped while he was taking classes and learning on his own. This is at least a partial reason that her route takes the most time in-game. As for Akira and Hideki, they are indeed cousins but they were not dating. Akira was referring to her boyfriend that is neither named nor seen in the game. Technically, Akira was babysitting Hideki. I got nothing about that smile bit you mentioned.

Emi - Emi was my first route and also kinda hit hard. I saw a girl who was willing to help a total wreck because she had hit rock bottom before as well. I also saw an empty shell of a once bright girl struck down by chance and simply hiding her emptiness with a mask of happy. This hit hard because that was basically me through most of high school thanks to the bullying I mentioned earlier. About Hisao not seeing the obvous, my best call is that love can make people blind.

As for the Kenji and Yukko dating people, I wish I could tell you what I knew about this...

Anyway, that's about all I got for now without making a brick wall of text. Keep trying to get your friends into the game anyway. I got a few of mine into it. In fact, I was playing it this one time at a coffee shop when suddenly he said "oh, what are you playing?" I let him play the first act a bit and then he had me download KS on his laptop! :lol:
Morlok8k

Post by Morlok8k »

pandaphil wrote:Wow, great job spilling your heart out about the game. Couldn't agree more! I've been playing for about three days and have only gone through two of the arcs. I want to just marathon the thing, but I know if I rush through, it'll be over that much more quickly. I need to make the joy last as long as I can. :(

I know what you mean about what bugged you. During a lot of my time with the Hanako arc, my mind kept going back to Emi, all alone out on the track. I wish at the very least there'd been a passing of her our on the track, maybe running with some other guy. Or passign her on someone arm while on a date in the city. Just SOMETHING to let you know that the girls you didn't choose to pursue are going to be okay.
yeah, i wished i hadn't rushed through, but i renamed my .renpy folder, and started over again. This time i'm using Auto mode so i dont quickly click through the text (and so my mouse hand doesnt get really cold from sitting on my mouse for hours)

Exactly - I want to know what happens to everyone in the alternate storylines...

Brisingr wrote:Glad you liked the game so much and welcome to the forums! Gonna comment on a few things you mentioned. Also, not gonna bother covering spoilers for those who haven't finished reading.

Rin - it is insinuated that she might commit suicide in her neutral ending because earlier in the VN when Hisao is talking to Nomia and the art director (forget her name at the moment), they were talking about an old artist friend who spiraled into depression and committed suicide and later on, Rin was having trouble with her own art for a while.

Lilly - I got nothing. I fell in love with her character at first but now I have conflicted feelings about her after some fridge logic.

Hanako - Hanako hit home hard for me because while I can't compare her circumstances to mine, I know how it feels to be bullied through school. As for the sex scene, she was willing but under false pretenses. At the time, she thought Hisao just saw her as a person he wanted to protect and would leave when either he felt she was better or lost interest. In her mind she wanted him to think of her as a romantic interest and the only way to convince him to change his mind was to have sex with him. That bit was actually actually explained when she broke down in the park.

Shizune - Hisao learned sign language fast to us but a lot of time was skipped while he was taking classes and learning on his own. This is at least a partial reason that her route takes the most time in-game. As for Akira and Hideki, they are indeed cousins but they were not dating. Akira was referring to her boyfriend that is neither named nor seen in the game. Technically, Akira was babysitting Hideki. I got nothing about that smile bit you mentioned.

Emi - Emi was my first route and also kinda hit hard. I saw a girl who was willing to help a total wreck because she had hit rock bottom before as well. I also saw an empty shell of a once bright girl struck down by chance and simply hiding her emptiness with a mask of happy. This hit hard because that was basically me through most of high school thanks to the bullying I mentioned earlier. About Hisao not seeing the obvous, my best call is that love can make people blind.

As for the Kenji and Yukko dating people, I wish I could tell you what I knew about this...

Anyway, that's about all I got for now without making a brick wall of text. Keep trying to get your friends into the game anyway. I got a few of mine into it. In fact, I was playing it this one time at a coffee shop when suddenly he said "oh, what are you playing?" I let him play the first act a bit and then he had me download KS on his laptop! :lol:
Oh god, links to tvtropes... please, I dont want to waste hours of my time on that site!

Rin - i understand why some people would feel like she might, but i just didnt get that feeling that she would.

Lilly - Fridge Logic: havent gotten anything like that yet.

Hanako - Yeah, I went over that section a couple times. My first reaction was what i stated above, and i feel like that section could have been... i dont know... different?

Shizune - you do have a point there. The smile - I dont know why, but the smile didnt feel like Hisao, yet it was perfect for the ending. I dont know why, but it just hit a chord in me.

Ahh, I'm glad that Akira and Hideki are not dating - I guess i just misunderstood those two.

Emi - I get how you feel, and i saw the same thing from her.

Kenji/Yuuko - If you feel i missed something, I'd like to know. There are a few similarities in their backstories, but they dont quite add up. Like i said, Kenji's reactions about you dating Emi, and her backstory fit better

Edit: what this game really needs is closure. I hope KS 1.1 adds an act 5 which gives an ending to all paths good and bad to see the results of your actions, and tells us what happened with all the girls...

Edit 2: did someone move this topic? I was pretty sure I posted in the public discussion...
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

Morlok8k wrote:A few scenes in, I knew this wasnt any normal dating-sim, and I was hooked!
I'm not sure what you mean. Provide some context, and let us know what romance games and VNs you have tried.

Then again, I say this admitting that the last time that I read Katawa Shoujo was a demo in 2009, and I haven't tried the full version yet. I'm a strange person. I can talk extensively about gameplay-driven romance games (such as Heartache 101, the first two Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side DS games, and Virtually Date Ariane). And I know quite a bit about romance visual novels.
Morlok8k wrote:I WISH I KNEW MORE PEOPLE THAT WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THIS GAME!!!!!!!! I've told the one person i think might like it... I need more friends who are Nerds like me. Why are my friends so normal?
I have some friends with whom I can share my offbeat hobbies and interests, such as complex board games, Friendship is Magic, and retro games. But even at fan conventions, I don't typically find people who like romance games or VNs. There will be a few fellow congoers who like hybrid-genre games such as Persona 4 or Sakura Wars 5, but that's about it. It still surprises me to think that I was not the only person who attended the Hirameki International or the Shira Oka fan panels at cons.
Morlok8k

Post by Morlok8k »

gekiganwing wrote:
Morlok8k wrote:A few scenes in, I knew this wasnt any normal dating-sim, and I was hooked!
I'm not sure what you mean. Provide some context, and let us know what romance games and VNs you have tried.

Then again, I say this admitting that the last time that I read Katawa Shoujo was a demo in 2009, and I haven't tried the full version yet. I'm a strange person. I can talk extensively about gameplay-driven romance games (such as Heartache 101, the first two Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side DS games, and Virtually Date Ariane). And I know quite a bit about romance visual novels.
Morlok8k wrote:I WISH I KNEW MORE PEOPLE THAT WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THIS GAME!!!!!!!! I've told the one person i think might like it... I need more friends who are Nerds like me. Why are my friends so normal?
I have some friends with whom I can share my offbeat hobbies and interests, such as complex board games, Friendship is Magic, and retro games. But even at fan conventions, I don't typically find people who like romance games or VNs. There will be a few fellow congoers who like hybrid-genre games such as Persona 4 or Sakura Wars 5, but that's about it. It still surprises me to think that I was not the only person who attended the Hirameki International or the Shira Oka fan panels at cons.
I've played maybe 3 dating sims in my life. I dont know which ones. But I wasnt really impressed with them. Its not really my type of game. I concluded, years ago, it was mostly just fap-material. (Ironically, On a whim i was searching for just that kind of fap-material that i could play on linux, as most are windows programs, when i discovered KS!)

OMG, if you haven't played the full version, It really shines when you get past Act 1 (the demo) of any girl. you should really do this as soon as possible.

I've told a few people now about this game - so far nobody has played it yet, though i have 2 that seem somewhat interested.

Other Thoughts:

why is hisao's room, #119, on the 2nd floor? (he says he has to go upstairs from the common room) shouldnt it be #219 then?
(Lilly's room is "225; Room 25 on the second floor." and her common room is on the first floor...)

i've noticed some forshadowing in act 1, and references to other paths as well while replaying.

i discovered the benefit of auto mode - your mouse hand wont get cold after hours of being on the mouse clicking after each line of text! (Just be sure to turn off your screensaver!)

Hanako - 2nd playthrough

i'm taking my time playing KS the 2nd time, so i can pay a bit more attention to each line of text, instead of just clicking to the next line. just by reading slower my reading comprehension went up dramatically...

I know now why hanako's path didnt register much with me the first time. I had played it right after Lilly, and late at night, and quickly. Her path is very parallel to Lilly's (obviously) and for a lot of it you talk to Lilly more than Hanako. there are multiple places where the larger parts of time spent with Hanako is recudes to a few sentances, so the player doesnt actually experiance them.

taking those things into account, and the fact that I'm more drawn to Lilly, Hanako's path kinda went past me.

I now find her sex scene to be less jarring than my initial viewing.

Also, I liked the good ending more than i did the first time.

Damn, i must have been really tired when i went through the first time...

My original statement of her doing better in lilly's path than in her own good ending is still kinda my feelings, but now only because we dont know how the good ending future will hold. will the walls she broke down with hisao translate to her actions with others? I hope so!
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I like to think there are a lot of fans of romantic games and VN's. Its unfortunately just not cool to admit it publicly in fandom. I'm hoping KS will manage to break out of that.

Brisingr wrote:Glad you liked the game so much and welcome to the forums! Gonna comment on a few things you mentioned. Also, not gonna bother covering spoilers for those who haven't finished reading.

I really appreciate your summations of the girls personalities. I confess there are parts of Emi and Hanako's personalities that I was still turning over in my head (I can be a bit slow when it comes to emotions). Thanks for helping focus things.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

Nice to know I was able to help but to be honest, I wasn't really trying to describe the girls in my post earlier. I was just trying to comment on the OP's questions and comments on his experience with KS. If that was the best summary of the girls I could do(and it is not!), may the devs strike me down where I type. If you really want me to unload everything I got on the girls, just ask but expect a brick wall of text.
Morlok8k

Post by Morlok8k »

Brisingr wrote:Nice to know I was able to help but to be honest, I wasn't really trying to describe the girls in my post earlier. I was just trying to comment on the OP's questions and comments on his experience with KS. If that was the best summary of the girls I could do(and it is not!), may the devs strike me down where I type. If you really want me to unload everything I got on the girls, just ask but expect a brick wall of text.
haha, nothing wrong with a wall of text! (just remember to put in paragraphs!)

...Currently playing Shizune as i type this...
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Brisingr wrote:Nice to know I was able to help but to be honest, I wasn't really trying to describe the girls in my post earlier. I was just trying to comment on the OP's questions and comments on his experience with KS. If that was the best summary of the girls I could do(and it is not!), may the devs strike me down where I type. If you really want me to unload everything I got on the girls, just ask but expect a brick wall of text.

Really? If I were afraid of a little reading, I sure as heck wouldn't be playing KS. :twisted:

But if you feel up to it, then I'd enjoy reading your thoughts on the girls. If you've read many of my posts, you'll know I'm not that great at putting my thoughts into words. I'd like to hear from someone who can.
Last edited by pandaphil on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

Alright, I'll spill what I got but not here. The devs like to have feedback for the game as a whole on this forum but prefer to have discussion on characters or anything else in general to be in the Public discussion forum which is where I'll plant my own musings on the girls. I'll make sure to post a link to it here when I get it made. It could take a while since I haven't played the game much lately.

Edit: Linky
Morlok8k

Post by Morlok8k »

Brisingr wrote:Alright, I'll spill what I got but not here. The devs like to have feedback for the game as a whole on this forum but prefer to have discussion on characters or anything else in general to be in the Public discussion forum which is where I'll plant my own musings on the girls. I'll make sure to post a link to it here when I get it made. It could take a while since I haven't played the game much lately.

Edit: Linky

I'll give it a read...

so the boys dorm has peepholes in the doors (stated in Shizunes arc), but the girls dorm doesnt? (stated in Hanakos arc) huh...

shizune - 2nd play

So, I'm continuing to read through slowly. (I've been using auto mode - very helpful!)
I think i know why she doesnt grab me. We are too similar and also vastly different. I live in the moment like she does, and compartmentalize my life as seperate events. However i'm not at all forceful and strongwilled and etc. like her.

side note: while typing this, KS has just made be shed a tear for the first time in years. I just realized that i've been keeping my life on hold for the past 4 years...

It's time to live my life.

anyways, back to shizune... the shizune/misha relationship is complex, and i understood it more throughly this time, along with a better undertanding of shizune.

I'm still not in love with her personally, but I did get the feels this time.

damn, while playing i wanted to remind myself of a few minor things that bugged me, but i cant remember now.

side note: I am literally crying, and i dont know why!

thats all i can type for tonight... i do have more to say though.

quick edit: the sheer amount of life-affirming positive messages in the game is overwhelming. I'm no longer crying, but i'm shaking from nervous anxiousness. what is my next step in life? what is my next step at the very moment? play more? its almost 1am... should i jsut go to bed slightly early (for me, lately) and think about my life? Hmmm....
Trailing_Shadow

Post by Trailing_Shadow »

Morlok8k wrote: My original statement of her doing better in lilly's path than in her own good ending is still kinda my feelings, but now only because we dont know how the good ending future will hold. will the walls she broke down with hisao translate to her actions with others? I hope so!
I felt the exact same way for the longest time. I was directed to a very well written fanfiction that continues the good ending for Hanako. It extends to the same point in time where the Lilly arc ends.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t ... sisterhood

I hope you enjoy it as well.
Morlok8k

Post by Morlok8k »

Trailing_Shadow wrote:
Morlok8k wrote: My original statement of her doing better in lilly's path than in her own good ending is still kinda my feelings, but now only because we dont know how the good ending future will hold. will the walls she broke down with hisao translate to her actions with others? I hope so!
I felt the exact same way for the longest time. I was directed to a very well written fanfiction that continues the good ending for Hanako. It extends to the same point in time where the Lilly arc ends.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t ... sisterhood

I hope you enjoy it as well.
My god...

That truly is a perfect and complete Act 5 of KS for Hanako.

I'm at a loss for words.
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

Morlok8k wrote:I've played maybe 3 dating sims in my life. I dont know which ones. But I wasnt really impressed with them. Its not really my type of game. I concluded, years ago, it was mostly just fap-material.
Two of the three that I mentioned would get a "PG" movie rating at most (and I think the Ariane game would have an "R" rating). But one is a fan-translated DS game, and the other is made with RPG Maker XP, which is Windows only. If you want a complex romance game that works natively on Linux, then RE: Alistair is a good start. It's freeware, worksafe, reverse harem, and has a decent balance of gameplay and narrative. And if you're willing to look at the indie scene, then go to a few independent creators' websites (such as Winter Wolves, Hanako Games, and Super Six-Three) and try some of their demos.

If you're looking for visual novels, there's a separate and *lengthy* recommendation thread. Keep in mind that I wandered into visual novel fandom over ten years ago, back when only a handful of products existed in English, and almost everything was porn without plot. If I had not found Kana Little Sister, then I probably would've given up and just stuck with anime and video game fandom.
Morlok8k wrote:OMG, if you haven't played the full version, It really shines when you get past Act 1 (the demo) of any girl. you should really do this as soon as possible.
I read a part of the demo in 2009, but lost interest. I remember there was a long memory scene, and the characters were slowly introduced, but nothing seemed to be happening. I was getting impatient and hoping for some gameplay. That year, I ended up reading Daemonophilia and Fantasia: The Realm of Thanos instead.

While I downloaded the full version of Katawa Shoujo last January, it sat unused on my hard drive until I moved it to an external HD. I have no plans tomorrow afternoon/evening, so I might finally set aside some time for reading it.