My Reaction and Musing (Like thousand of others)

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
tony246

My Reaction and Musing (Like thousand of others)

Post by tony246 »

*Possible SPOILERS, be warned*

Alright, after finally downloading this game and playing through the first act...well, I would really really like to say something, but I just can't. It's just that feeling of getting that thing off your chest, but not knowing how to exactly say it. Which is why I'm writing this I suppose.

Let me start by saying...well, how really naive I am. About relationships. About the world. About myself. You know, that sort of thing. I'm foolish and quite ignorant, I admit it fully. So, on judging realism or how heartwarming or non-heartwarming this story so far is...I can't really do that. All I can say is...um, well, how...peaceful? No, maybe more like 'uplifting' or 'joyful' I felt from the story. I'm sorry if that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Anyways, right now, I just completed Hanako's act. So let me...I dunno, just recount my stream of thoughts about her I suppose.

So, right, Hanako was definitely my favorite from the first Act Demo. I'm going to be frank, I would like to say something about how I was just...I don't know, maybe naturally attracted to her. Or something. That's the excuse I often give myself. However, I...acknowledge that my attraction to this fabricated character seems, to me, even less noble than it seems. She was shy. She was adorably cute and fragile. She read books in the library and avoided people like the plague. She clung to a sole friend and reacted poorly to anybody else. As Hisao said, we needed some abnormally soft silk padded gloves to even risk getting in the approximate area. I could go on, but I think the point I'm trying to make is that, while I'm not too sure about what I felt, it is more than likely that I was drawn to this girl because of these traits.

Wrong? Right? I don't know. As stated, I'm foolish and naive. Is it right to become attracted to a girl because she happened to have these traits? Is it not the same reason why many would be attracted to Rin's unique perspective? Lilly's mothering ways? Emi's cheerfulness or Shizune's competitively agressive streak? Let's take this even further, is it right to go after a girl because she's a bit prettier than others? Or maybe she has large breasts or a...what was it, callipygian posterior? To me, at least, looking at anyone because they have any sort of trait, physical or mental, often seems to have the same morality. Like having a type or something; I actually view it as a lust either way. So, I suppose I paid this little thought while I went down her route, it's how humanity often chose their mates. I don't know, I'm stupid.

Anyways, getting into the actual route, I am once again lustful over every little interaction with her. Like Hisao, I couldn't help but smile and feel greatly relieved with every little smile that girl gave. Similarly, I also felt disheartened with every downturn of emotions the story faced. Admit it, you were probably panicking when Hanako started phasing out when she was working with Hisao, Misha, and Shizune. However, as a minor storyteller, I understood that these turns were a part of the story, natural as anything.

Things...well, not really started to hit home, but rather got close during the end. I would say when Hisao gave Lilly that call and the natural choice of it. When she said that Hisao, and by extension us, was being a bit too 'overbearing' for Hanako...well, I agreed with Lilly's perspective. NOT because I could see this feedback loop of need, but rather as I somewhat minor Storyteller, I could understand that the particular option was right. But, I had a problem. As said, I am a foolish person. As I said, I did not myself see this clinging the two had. I couldn't really see it at all. In fact, if it wasn't for the constant reminders from Mutou and Lilly, I might as well missed this. I will admit, if I ever had a girlfriend similar to Hanako, I would spoiler her silly. I would bend over backwards for each and every thing. I ended up doing it to a friend of mine, and naturally that friendship ended. So, I will admit, I was frustrated when Lilly was right, and I knew she was right, but I didn't understand why. But, this couldn't stop me, I had a story to read and I wanted my good end.

Moving on...I suppose another thing I felt would have been how much Hisao's future issues struck home. Many of what has been said to him could be said to me, I have no real grasp on the future. I feel...like the foolish grasshopper who spent his summer playing around while the ants worked for the winter. I...don't know what else to say here, so I'll just conclude with, I can understand, but I'm still a bit lost as well, I suppose.

So, towards the end, it was very...true I suppose. Struck a chord or something, I would like to say. Um, let's see, Hisao and Lilly being too protective and the fallout, that was certainly touching. And...and...well, honestly, everything is a bit of a swirly bubble/fog of metaphorical tears and little yeps of the good things. Again, I'm not too wise, I don't know how to digest all of that. It's beyond a person like me. All I can say...well, i forgot what I was going to say, but I guess, the ending was...right. Correct. Proper.

...I would like to say more, but that would mean talking more about myself than I should. This topic is me thinking about the game after all. I'll probably add an entry once I get through the other storylines. But, I guess what I'm trying to say is...this is good.

*Note, not sure if this belongs in Public Discussion or Feedback, but the warning for the Feedback thread scared me into posting it here, sorry if it doesn't belong*
I'm not good with this sort of thing, so I"m just going to say it here:
Thank you, Four Leaf Studios.

That is all.
tony246

Re: My Reaction and Musing (Like thousand of others)

Post by tony246 »

*It is time for another round of MRaM...ok, bad shortening, but whatever. Also, I once again apologize if this needs thread to be on another section*

Ok, for my second go around, I went to Emi. I have to admit, I am incredibly neutral about her. I neither disliked or particularly liked her any more than the others, but I did however find her cute. Although I would have probably been extremely miffed if she were to actually run into me. Anyways, the point is, I would have actually probably would have kept her off until the later path searches.

Except I accidentally got spoiled with an extremely vague sentence that drove me crazy with worry, trepidation, confusion, and everything else. Seriously, I had to train myself to immediately shut down my mind every time I ran into Emi's name. Realizing that could not go on, I immediately assigned her to the 2nd path I would go through.

What's worse, I think that subconscious thought made my mind completely muddled when going through the path, or I was really tired, not quite sure which.

Anyways, her path...well, to be honest, it wasn't right for me. I'm not saying it's bad...it's just that the path seems to be a literal antithesis (I hope I'm using that word right) to my own being. I may be rather dramatic about this, but that's how it felt. Again, I'm not saying that it's bad or that it wasn't giving the right moral points or whatever...it just wasn't me. It's almost similar to being in an argument where you know you're wrong, but you just can't say that because you still think you're right. Strange huh?

But, regardless, I still adore this girl, she's just too cute some times. Like...I dunno, a hamster that never gives up or something. Just too cute and I approve of how that path was handled...but I am probably going to approve of every path. Just so pleasant, you know?

...Oh Gosh to Heck the bad ends are going to kill me.

That is all for now.

That is all.
tony246

Post by tony246 »

And I'm back for another round of me babbling about how I feel and junk like that. This time it's Lilly's route.

...Ah, ok, before I go into detail, I might as well get every Hanako thought out of the way first. It is a Lilly post after all. Throughout the route, Hanako grew into a somewhat more outspoken person on her own. Talking to others, getting into the newspaper club, getting caught up with school work. All on her own. This weirded me out. I mean normally one would think that trying to be in a relationship with her would be a better catalyst than leaving her to her own devices. But, as her route basically states, you can't exactly bombard her with care and attention. Sometimes the bird has to leave the nest on her own. I suppose, this is what a doting parent feels like when a child goes off on their own, proud yet melancholic at the same time. Regardless, I'm just glad Hanako gets a sort of happy ending to herself as well.

Ok, with that out of the way, Lilly's route... Hm, right, I suppose I might as well say that, due to the closeness of Hanako's route at the first act, I couldn't really get a feel for Lilly herself. Thankfully that was cured on the actual route, but I still can't help but feel as though this sort of messed up my first impression of her.

Anyways, on the route, I was not expecting any sort of major or extreme tension or anything like that. In fact, after they got together, I was thinking that this would be one of those calm and friendly slice of life. Of course, then there were signs of something not right. I really should have known, you can't have a story without some form of conflict after all. Anyways, I thought everything was going fine, making the right decisions and all, until I got somewhat close to the end. I mean...Lilly leaving and there were no such options to stop it? I honestly felt as though I was on the bad end. I did not want to be on the bad end. I did not want to watch the two get together and just not be together. That...was just so wrong to me. But, reluctantly, I kept watching, and watching, and watching until Hisao was in his bed with that paper crane. Then I cheered as he went after Lilly to...I wouldn't say stop, but rather to be with her, I think. Was that the intent behind his emotions? I'm not quite sure. Again, the path was a swirling vortex of blurry emotions. To be honest, I'm ashamed that I haven't been paying attention to them as closely as I should have.

Anyways, I thought the path was finally back on the good end again, and naturally that's wanted. Then Hisao had a heart attack. At this point, I panicked. I panicked and probably thought the same things Hisao thought. Was there a choice I could have made to change this? Should I have said Yes to the nurse's warning to stay healthy? What should I have done? What should I have done? And as I read through the quite depressing soliloquy, I fell into a minor despair that I couldn't do anything but read that soliloquy. Then my ears picked up that music box. And I went woo! And all was good.

On reflection, I was extremely uncertain with the path. As said, I knew little of Lilly from her minor interactions. But, I have to say I was satisfied by it. Of course, if it's a happy story I will most likely be satisfied either way. And normally I would talk more, but my mind is feeling a bit hazy right now. I read the emotional glob rather than the pure text so everything ends up more of a conglomeration of the whole rather than precise details of every feeling. It feels as though there are so many things to say, but not enough time to do so. At any rate, I would like to say that I do not regret this game, I do not regret this path, and I hope that in that story, Lilly and Hisao have a pleasant life together.

On to the next!

That is all.
themocaw

Post by themocaw »

Re: Hanako

Remember that Lilly's route continues for a much longer time than Hanako's does. Hanako's ends before Lilly comes back from Scotland the first time. So we don't really know how whether being with Hisao ends up helping her to reach out faster or slower.
tony246

Post by tony246 »

themocaw wrote:Re: Hanako

Remember that Lilly's route continues for a much longer time than Hanako's does. Hanako's ends before Lilly comes back from Scotland the first time. So we don't really know how whether being with Hisao ends up helping her to reach out faster or slower.
True, but to me, I'm just fairly surprised that she [shimmie]has sort of a normal life for herself just with the addition of another friend. And said friend dating the other friend. And then giving the two time to themselves.[/shimmie] Surprising.

That is all.
tony246

Post by tony246 »

And we're back, this time with Shizune's route.

First, I would like to state the following. I hate tsundere characters. Well, hate is a bit of a strong word, but let's just say that I'm not terribly happy with them. Which is why, for my act 1 run through, I probably avoided Shizune's options like the plague. Of course, she isn't actually a tsundere character, but she is somewhat headstrong for me. Which really throws me off, but I suppose I don't mind too much. It's her way of knowing people after all.

Also, like Emi's route, I accidentally ended up spoiling myself, this time it was the presence love triangle. Thankfully, I didn't quite understand which way the love triangle went so Misha's affections for Shizune was surprisingly surprising. So, not that much of a spoiler in the long run.

That said, I have to admit, like Emi's route, I wasn't as emotionally invested in this route. The reason? I'm not quite sure. In fact, I really don't know what to make of the route. It's rather confusing for me. I mean, I don't hate it, everything things to be rather happy and well and nothing too heartbreaking. It...just doesn't mesh right with me is all.

I would like to comment on what I felt though. Confusion. Which is actually good, I get the feeling that this is what you're supposed to feel. I mean, if you look at it one way, I think the route is about communication. After all, there was a lot of communication errors in-between the three and that lead to some drama and naturally lead to some character development. Woo! And I suppose, it relates to many people, such as myself, who seem to have problems with communicating with others. Although I'm thankful that I don't have to learn a whole language for it.

Anyways, with this, all that's left is Rin's route.
...Ok, I have not really gotten spoiled, but I'm getting the feeling that I'm going to feel like crying, correct?

That is all.
tony246

Post by tony246 »

Ok then, Rin's route...Rin's route...Rin's route...what to start with?

Hm, alright, first impressions in the first act. To be honest, she didn't have much impact to me. I don't know why, maybe it was the limited scenes with her or the general difficulty getting to her, but she never made much of an impact to me. I suppose that's why she was saved for last. IN THAT ACT (as in when it was released years ago), I didn't feel a heart-crushing need to be there like Hanako. I didn't feel that unbridled bundle of pep with Emi. The aggressiveness of Shizune. Or that calm and tranquility from Lilly. Just, nothing. So, going into her route, I didn't really know what to expect. I had no real thoughts on heartwarming or tear inducing. I...was blank.

But, when I was playing the route...Well, it certainly did not strike as many chords with Hanako, but I understood it. At least as well as I could understand it. It related to me, again not as well as Hanako's route, but a bit better than the other three. I understood,it's hard to be with people who don't really understand you. It's hard to meet expectations that you don't know you want to meet. Life is hard, foggy, filled with changes that we may or may not like or want. Yes, I suppose I understood that. But there's are things I don't understand too.

I'm now going talk about the choices we actually had to make. Remember how back in my thoughts of Shizune's route, I felt as though there was a communication issue? This route officially beat that to death. I not only not understood a lot of things, but I don't even know how much I didn't understand them. At every decision point, I kept wondering, is this the right thing. Honestly, even after getting the good end I am not sure that I made the 'correct' choices. This was made worse by not understanding what was appropriate for Rin's route, I mean each girl has a certain thing needed, correct? In fact, I even got my first bad end (not including the bad end in Act One) by messing up in that apartment/studio place. Well, it seemed like a bad end at least, but I suppose a lot of what Hisao said was actually covered in the very next act so I don't know. I guess, maybe this is on purpose. I mean, what better way to illustrate how hard it is to understand such a girl than with vague or somewhat misleading choices. Of course, this is all my opinion.

Anyways, like I said, I may have not understood, but I sort of understand. Um, no, sorry, that was a bit circular. What I'm trying to say is, that this route, while a bit wandering and odd, was good. And let's face it, Rin hugging us was a bit adorable. And that End scene, yes!

Right, so, I'm going to get ready for the bad ends. I don't want to see the bad ends, but it's...sort of the duty of being us. I'll explain later, but right now I need to mentally prepare myself. That will take like a week. So, have fun.

That is all.
fcd15

Post by fcd15 »

The biggest twist for me was when Misha said she confessed to Shizune. The CG at the beginning shows Shizune and Hisao on the roof, 'talking', in a lovely mood, and Misha watching it with a bittersweet smile. I was sure it was going to turn out as another love triangle with some sort of unspoken rivalry between the girls over the guy, but the fact that she wanted Shizune and not Hisao caught me off guard. That was very, very well pleayed by the writers.

But Lilly's irreplaceable for me. Hanako and Emi come in tied at a not very close second. Then Shizune, and I haven't done Rin yet. I wonder when I will... should have done hers and Shizune's first and saved the best for last.

When you're done, tell us what we all want to know: your favorite girl.
tony246

Post by tony246 »

fcd15 wrote:
You know, I really can't answer this. I mean, first of all, that question is a bit vague to me. Favorite girl? What exactly does that mean? I am not quite sure. Romantically? Based on personality? Based on looks? Or maybe based on what one likes in a person, like motivation or understanding or something? What does having a 'favorite girl' mean? I have no real idea.

I have a favorite Hanako. She has purplish black hair, likes chess, computers, karaoke, and cooking. She's a bit shy, but can be very brave and earnest when properly motivated.

I have a favorite Lilly. She's blonde, and she really likes tea and wine. She's very motherly, but on occasion takes too many things upon herself.

I have a favorite Emi. She has light brown hair tied into twintails, and she really likes the color blue. She's on the track team and she never seems to stop running in earnest, charging forward no matter what.

I have a favorite Rin. She has red hair and likes to paint. She's...very unique, but I don't think that's bad, in fact, it's rather interesting to be with her, even though I can't understand her a lot of times.

I have a favorite Shizune. She has blue hair and she's the student council president. She's very competitive, likes to play Risk, and always wants to finish her assignments before anyone else. Sometimes, this drives people way, but other times it pulls them in.

So, I have all of these favorites, but I can't quite say that I have a favorite girl. More on the point, it would be pretty useless to say that I have a favorite girl, we aren't a part of their world, and they aren't a part of our world. It's a bit sad, but that's how it is. I can accept that.

That is all.
tony246

Post by tony246 »

Can someone quickly tell me the possible endings for the game. This is just so that I don't have to go down one path forever and ever looking for something that doesn't exist. I would look it up on the forums, but I get the feeling that I might accidentally run into spoilers or something. Please don't spoil. Just do something like: Hanako Neutral End 1 or Shizune Bad End 2. Or something like that. Please list all possible ends. That's all.

That is all.
fcd15

Post by fcd15 »

tony246 wrote:
fcd15 wrote:
You know, I really can't answer this. I mean, first of all, that question is a bit vague to me. Favorite girl? What exactly does that mean? I am not quite sure. Romantically? Based on personality? Based on looks? Or maybe based on what one likes in a person, like motivation or understanding or something? What does having a 'favorite girl' mean? I have no real idea.
Just say which route you enjoyed the most and which girl you would pick as your overall favorite, if you're able to. If you're not then it's ok, after all that's not an easy choice.
tony246

Post by tony246 »

Hello all, here I am again for one last thought. This post is specifically on the non-good ends of the paths. But before I begin, I have a bit of a thought to share with you all.

For a while now, I've been thinking about the player's role in these types of stories. As in, what are we supposed to do as players of Visual Novels, or why do we play it in the first place. Now the reasons for everyone varies, but here is my understanding. The 'me' right now has...a sort of duty. A duty that combines the perfectionist traits of a gamer who wants to find every treasure chest, the avid reader who wants to know the ins and outs of his favorite story, and the whimsical soul who feels a need to understand and know others. Or something like that. Anyways, the way I see it, it's a player's duty to get every piece of dialogue from every path and see every scene; that way, the perfectionist is satisfied by the completion, the avid reader is satisfied by the intricate story that lies in the untold path, and the whim of the soul can understand the people that are created by this story. I suppose this is the only 'advantage' or 'gift' we have above the protagonist of the story, the reader gets to know all about the girl, even the painful moments. Or something like that.

Anyways, here it goes, reaction time (in real time too):

Ok, Hanako was first...so it should be right to get her bad and neutral ends first. And I already saw that CG pic so might as well get the spoiled one out of the way.

...Damnit, I chickened out. I went with Act 1's bad end instead. At least I'm way more mentally prepared for that one. Yep, plenty fine with that one.

Ok, for reals now. Hanako...neutral end. I heard there was one of these. OK, I can handle the neutral end. Ok...act one...cinematic (gah the feels)...more choices (i have no idea what to pick)... Good end...darn. Ok...back up a few and try again...choices...choices...not town...#*#$^Q# Bad end(feel bad now, ow, my soul)...breathe, in out, try again...can't stop now...good end....good end...good end...ah, I get it now, Neutral end (melancholic). And that was...painful.

Emi time....Go after her...Hisao's acting aloofish...oh, hey Misha...Gah, I can't do it, Going to good end...awww they made up, thank Misha...Ok, get back on track, we're here for that soul crushing bad end...and the bad end...and now i know how it is to tear your soul out of your own body.

I still have more endings to get through.

Lilly time...load up save file...downplay....Skipping...skipping...credi--wah? bad end where? Good end where? end where? ...goes to a flowchart, huh, so that's why it felt like a bad end the first time I played.

On to...Shizune's route. Ok I know what bads is waiting for me. There's only one choice split after all. Oh, I do not want to do this. Ah, ok, bad choice...scene...darn right you should feel like crap Hisao (ignoring the fact that I did the choice)...Going through it fast, like a band-aid...Gah, Lilly, where did you come from, were you here before?...Hm, I am suddenly understanding a lot of things I didn't understand in this route...And End (with sad cat). Trying not to be too depressed here.

Now Rin's route...oh, rin's route. I'm going to need a flowchart.

Ok, Rin, you may have confused the heck out of me, but now I have the power of cheating off of everyone who did this for me...ok, going through this fast, don't want to get hit by a metaphorical dump truck, already got the bad end previously...ok, different choices go...Oh, hey Emi (route flashback)...Hm, I don't really get why everyone hates Nomiya so much, I mean, at the very least, I can understand that he just jumped the gun and was a bit too eager, nothing to be extremely angry about (Unlike Shizune's father, that guy has no excuse other than his ridiculously huge ego)...Hm, it's a bit weird, how come the exact same outburst/dialogue ends up causing the bad end and leading to the other ends when the only real thing that I can think about that's changed is the location...Scenes...scenes...neutral end choice...oh Misha, you make things humorous (in drill mode)...Ok, art gallery...Picasso...Oh, hey Ri--dang...Oh Hisao, you aren't that aloof (note, look up actual definition of aloof later)... Hm, ok, two things, once again I find myself understanding this route a bit better, and GAH! Flowchart, why did you lie to me? That did not sound like a neutral end. At the very least that felt worse than the bad end.

And done.

Hm, I just thought of something, is there a way to somehow divide Hisao into like 5-6, just to cover every heroine?

That is all.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

tony246 wrote:Hm, I just thought of something, is there a way to somehow divide Hisao into like 5-6, just to cover every heroine?
Yes.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing